IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on creating new fans
7/27/15, 1:51 PM   #31
rclaridge

I've heard this from smarter people than me(Tim Clauson) run the sprint car feature last so the new fans and kids can get in the pits before the guys are loaded up and gone.

4 members like this post: bowbuild, DAD, Roy Bleckert, tinkertoys
7/27/15, 1:56 PM   #32
Re: Thoughts on creating new fans
Stevensville Mike

Another thing for the new (and old) fans: The non-wing drivers do a good job overall putting the driver's name on the sun screen atop the front bar. Sometimes it is hard to read due to the fonts, mud, angle, etc., but at least it is a step in the right direction.

How about a side board of some kind, or even getting the drivers to expand and highlight their names on the SIDE of the car for the fans? That, in itself, would be a one time shot/investment for all drivers. Lots of them already have their names on the sides, but you need binoculars from the stands to read them.

Lots of good ideas in this thread. Thanks for starting it. Let's hope we can get new fans to come to the tracks.

2 members like this post: DAD, i love dirt track racing
7/27/15, 2:29 PM   #33
wcbrock02

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Woods View Post
Ban smoking inside the entire spectator area or at the very least designate a smoking area.
I took my 4 year old to his 1st race this year at Kokomo during ISW. And unfortunately the man two rows below us was smoking as fast as I was breathing and blowing right in our faces. It got so bad I had to call his mother to come and get him after the heat races were over. So I agree either no smoking in the stands or have a certain section for them to be.

7/27/15, 2:40 PM   #34
TQ29m

Just my ten cents worth, but this is a new age, good or bad, most kids, and I'm not excluding anyone under the age of 50, just aren't into it, if they can't text all day, and more than half the night, what it is worth, it's gonna take a huge prybar to get them off the phone, and to a racetrack, then I'm not sure it would work. Here's what I notice, the kids eat more than the older folks, why not drop the admission a bit more, and make it up at the concession stand, I know, who's payin, well, who else, Dad, grandpa, but you can bet it isn't the kid, I don't know who to try and attract, I know when I got out of the Service in 1963, it was all a mystery, nothing I saw was being advertised, and that was long before mobile phones, and tweet and twitter, if Dad doesn't take you, or a good friend asks you to go, you probably aren't going to discover it, it's just not the thing anymore, too many other things that take up that time, school stick and ball stuff, danged near 24-7, and weekend games, some clear out of state, meaning no one left to go, it's a tough nut to crack, the competition is new age, beats me, I hate to say it, but it seems to me the interest just isn't there anymore. Sad! Bob

4 members like this post: DAD, PIT CART, racer-x, Roy Bleckert
7/27/15, 4:46 PM   #35
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbrock02 View Post
I took my 4 year old to his 1st race this year at Kokomo during ISW. And unfortunately the man two rows below us was smoking as fast as I was breathing and blowing right in our faces. It got so bad I had to call his mother to come and get him after the heat races were over. So I agree either no smoking in the stands or have a certain section for them to be.
There is no smoking allowed in the stands at Willims Grove.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, Joey Woods, PIT CART, rclaridge
7/27/15, 5:36 PM   #36
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbrock02 View Post

WC

You know had the Government done half as good job on propaganda on drugs as they did on cigarets we would not be having a drug problem at this time. SECOND HAND SMOKE yeh when I was 4 years old I would get terrible ear aches and the only thing that make it stop hurting was my dad gentling blowing that smoke into my ears. Don't buy into all the Government sponsored research because the researcher have a stake on how it come out.

I am with Bob on ticket price and available new fans. Ticket price is a lot like choosing a gear ratio. You need to be low enough to fill most of the seats and high enough to make a profit. We experiment with gear ratios Maybe track owners should experiment with ticket price. Usually it takes several laps to know if we went in the right direction the same holds true with ticket price.

Get that kid some ear protection I could have used some many years ago. If a guy is smoking like a freight train move. When I quit smoking I was going through 4 to 5 packs a day and I thought since the had raised the price from 35cents to 40 cents that I just wasn't going to spend that kind of money to make my self sick. All without the help of the Government. Also since I quit I can't take the smoke either but the second hand bull I haven't bought.

In another year he will be old enough to race Quarter Midgets and you can solve your problem. I think they still have a track in Kokomo. Try to find it and take him to a Quarter Midget race.

Honest Dad himself

4 members like this post: fish, racer-x, Slider20, Stevensville Mike
7/27/15, 8:22 PM   #37
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Ticket price is a lot like choosing a gear ratio. You need to be low enough to fill most of the seats and high enough to make a profit.

THAT is a classic comparison! Nail hit right on head!

1 member likes this post: Joey Woods
7/28/15, 6:48 AM   #38
FEATHERDUSTER

Colder beer!

1 member likes this post: bigq11
7/28/15, 9:29 AM   #39
glittleton

Stevensville Mike has a few great ideas - I do wish there was a better way to identify the cars/drivers - Announcers should not assume everyone knows who is in the cars - the biggest one that bugs me is not knowing who someone is - trying to catch their name during qualifying - and they only say it once - and that is when they are going by on the front straight - the idea to have the 50/50 person sell driver/car lists is excellent - I take a list with me - but there are WAY too many different cars to get them all - always have a few guys I am not sure of.

2 members like this post: DAD, dirt330
7/28/15, 9:51 AM   #40
dirt330

Give someone free admission have a laptop with printer , make driver list sell them for a buck and the person doing the work can keep the money. All the fans want is a driver name and number list. Eldora sells list every week always a line of fans wanting to buy.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on creating new fans