IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on creating new fans
7/26/15, 1:04 PM   #21
Re: Thoughts on creating new fans
BrentTFunk

One way is to bring new fans with you. My nephew lives in TN and was visiting last month. I took him to Kokomo for a race. He really enjoyed and ask me where the closest track to him was. I told him it was 3.5 hours from the Sprintweek finale at Haubstadt. He brought 3 friends and they had a blast. He called me Thursday and told me they were planning on coming to Kokomo for the last 2 nights of The Smackdown. Take someone and show them the ropes and they will have a good time.

7/26/15, 2:23 PM   #22
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

You can blame pa's announcers etc all you want but the times I took people that wanted to and do go again, some regular went with me and I informed them of who was who, what was what and who was hot or not. Even made pick a winner a game with them in each race and purposefully chose one not likely to win.

The times I took newbies that didn't want to come back were late running shows period. The kids were having fun early but after 10 all they wanted to do was go home. Heck one of em the feature didn't fire till 11:15

Take em, Thats the main thing, Not everythings in control but some will like it. Some won't.

5 members like this post: bigsby, BrentTFunk, jim goerge, rclaridge, scottyCbus
7/26/15, 2:56 PM   #23
Joey Woods

Ban smoking inside the entire spectator area or at the very least desinate a smoking area.

I used to smoke and believed that anyone complaining about my smoking was a fool just looking for something to complain about.

I now apologize for being such a selfish jerk to all the folks that were forced to inhale my second hand smoke for so many years. It pains me to think of how many people sitting around me up in the stands that I inconsiderately dampened their evening at the races over the years.

I used to purchase reserve seating at every event when available but since I stopped smoking I do not opt for reserve anymore because I cant just up and move if my family gets stuck seated near a smoker.

I also wonder how many "first time" fans I personally turned away from attending short track racing simply because of second hand smoke.

I understand the air quality at a race track isn't all that pure but cigarette smoke is simply not acceptable at sporting venues anymore along with most other entertainment venues.

7/26/15, 8:35 PM   #24
Jonr

A lot of good points on this thread. The really frustrating thing is most of these can be done with no to little money from the promoters, and a couple ideas will actually generate money. My thoughts:

- Start on time. Run the show with urgency. Have a self imposed curfew. It is amazing that the shows with a curfew are always done on time.
- Track prep. Work the track during the week so you do not have to farm it on the race night. I am almost as a point where I will leave once I see a tractor hit the track. Also, it is called a dirt track not a dust track. As a long time fan, I have a hard time with dust bowls. What do we think brand new fans will think?
- Saving seats. Do away with it. The worst I ever saw was during a Hell Tour event. Some people associated with a team went into the stands when they arrived when the back gate opened, and put down a blanket. I saw people sit on the blanket twice. Once during a heat, and once during the main event. The driver broke early in the main event, and the people got up and left. At Devil's Bowl, they have a reserved seat section at the track. If you want to sit in the main grandstand in front of the flagger, you have to pay a couple of bucks more to sit in this section. If the promoters could do this at their track, they could actually make more money off of the people all ready at the track.
- Announcers. I am indifferent to the announcers screaming during the races. However, they better be prepared before and after the races. I expect to hear the drivers names and numbers. I want to know the transfer spots. I want to know the number of laps. Finally, do not be afraid of some down time. I do not need someone talking to me for four hours straight.
- Family sections. Create a family section that is no drinking and no smoking. While I grew up in a house of smokers, my children never have. When they get behind a smoker, it really impacts the quality of the night. The same way with drunks. I do not get drunk in front of my children, and I really do not want them to see you drunk acting like a fool.
-The fallacy of social media advertising. While social media is important, it should not be your primary form of advertising. Only the hard core fans follow you on Facebook. Only the hard core fans follow you on Twitter. Only the hard core fans visit IOW. If you are only directing your message to your hard core fans how are ever going to get new fans?

7/26/15, 9:50 PM   #25
Jonr

Found this video on another message board. It is about a new track that the Edwards family in DFW are planning on operating. A lot of the things that are mentioned in this thread is addressed by Lanny Ross Edwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gzH...layer_embedded

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
7/27/15, 8:55 AM   #26
Longtime sprinter

Interesting video and you would think if they can keep the dust down in Texas they certainly should be able to in Indiana.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/27/15, 10:06 AM   #27
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
Announcers view here, I do the play by play because there are video crews filming the races and those who listen on the FM transmitters can listen in as well. I tried to make the event at Bloomington as interactive as possible with all of the trivia before the races and with all the giveaways. It's always good to interact with the fans. I just wish I got to do it a little more during the show. Everything is always a work in progress.
Chris

I like your idea on interactive announcing to coordinate with the video people.

In the winter we attend a lot of plays. As a convenience to their patrons who I assume are racers also and have lost most of their hearing they offer head sets so that we may also hear clearly the actors presenting their lines. Up until the time that I tried these things I didn't know how deaf I was. They actually helped me to enjoy the play.

Why not set up a concession to rent headphones/ear protectors for the fans. Make it reasonably>>number the headphones>>charge a couple of dollars rent for the night and secure them with drivers a license. Offer them for sale also for the regulars. Then the newbie as well as the regular would have the opportunity to listen to your play by play as well as the informative info on the drivers and class racing on the track. Racing is kind of hard for the novice fan to figure out, We don't we offer them a lot more information like TV does. This could only help crowd become involved in the action. What is a slide job where is the cushion who is on a winning streak who are the rivals. The modern day fan watches most of their races on TV so when they show up for a short track experience they are like fish out of water.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/27/15 at 10:12 AM.

2 members like this post: davidm, Stevensville Mike
7/27/15, 11:27 AM   #28
bluesurly

This was my first ISW. I WILL be back. The comments on saving seats is right on. My son and I weren't up to speed on this. Never have seen this anywhere else but Indiana and I've been to races in six states. I have it figured out now and will prepare next year. We went to the second half and the only complaint was Terre Haute being a little dry. But a small complaint as we LOVED being in the infield.
I'd agree with the comments about bringing folks to the races and explain to them what is going on. Best way to sell it.
This trip to ISW was a graduation gift for my son. He and his brothers have been going to Kville and tracks at surrounding states since they were two. (I let them get potty trained first) My son sent texts, tweets and whatever the hell these kids do now with their phones to his brothers who, are demanding a trip to ISW 16. Who am I to argue?

7/27/15, 1:27 PM   #29
DAD

Chris

Maybe something like this? http://raceceiver.com/fusionplusdoub...anpackage.aspx

Have a separate channel for the announcer and the old pros cold also tune into the tracks channel for that added little bit of entertainment.

This would be a great concession opportunity for that over worked and underpaid announcer to help supplement his salary. And if he knew that entertaining his public was at stake he would probably also work on his presentation. Wonder if they make these headphones as a single piece package?

Honest Dad himself

7/27/15, 1:41 PM   #30
Roy Bleckert

What I hear from fans on the left coast is do not drag the show out & no dust storms , to a lesser extent but more relevant to more potential hard core fans & participants is running the engines & technology they are familiar with !

1 member likes this post: DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on creating new fans