Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 602 sprint car
7/29/15, 2:16 PM   #11
Re: 602 sprint car
trecraft

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spi-nex View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here, and don't let this sound like I'm critical of anyone trying something new, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to take an already under powered car and put a wing on it to make it even more under powered.

Why doesn't anyone give the CT525 a shot? They are rated at 525 hp with 471 ft/lbs. of torque and cost $7200~.
We are currently taking engine donations.

1 member likes this post: Spi-nex
7/29/15, 2:44 PM   #12
amxman

wilmot in WI has a 604 non wing class. It puts on a good show for the first year of it.

7/29/15, 8:15 PM   #13
west coast

Just looked at Wilmot raceways web site, 604 non wing class and read the rules. they seem to have a good program and affordable. Hope they can increase car count to 20 to 25. great for fans on 3/8 mile. I checked drivers standings/points seems to be 10 cars currently, also watched a video.

7/30/15, 9:38 AM   #14
darnall

Without wings you can take any 305 rules package motor, one of 5 different crate motors, a sealed shwanke 5.3L EFI motor, a 2 barrel 360 motor, and have good competitive racing with nobody being at a real advantage or disadvantage.

When you take a car with shocks and tires designed for 800-900HP and add a wing designed for cars with 900HP you have to start making sure all the motors are dang near identical. A little extra power really shows up in a class of vehicles where everybody is so under powered to begin with.

Until they invent and implement a wing that is purely decorative that has little or no downforce or rudder affect any winged econo sprint class will have to be running on one standard engine package. And the crate motors still allow massive dollars to bump up the HP. Lots of the crate latemodel guys sell used engines for double the price of a brand new one because they have gone to a certified rebuilder/sealer and gotten every bit of tolerance and balance pushed to the max. And soon somebody will invent a crate sprint specific intake package that will kick the crap out of a 750 holley or an old hilborn injector and guys without it will pretty much be forced to buy it.

But going back to my first comment... get rid of all the downforce and rudder and you can combine 20 different econo sprint engine packages and have great racing.

2 members like this post: Can26, DAD
7/30/15, 11:07 AM   #15
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Wouldn't it be better to try to cheapen the 410's somehow? Get rid of the expensive shocks and run harder tires. I hate to see things get divided up like go karts. A whole bunch of classes with not that many in each.

3 members like this post: fish, oldfan49, Tony74
7/30/15, 11:22 AM   #16
plymouthfan

From what i am hearing this should be a great entry level sprint class. I have been at Plymouth for years and have saw the Outlaw late models go from 30 cars weekly to 12. 410,360 will always be the biggest and baddest. and i know that you can find cheap 410 motors out there but not everyone can find the deals on them like some that are lucky to find the deals. But anyone can go and get the complete motor brand new with new carb, headers, and ignition. ready to plumb and wire in you chassis for $6995 and run 2-3 years with no rebuild. Sounds like a great hobby class. I like non wing cars but with the World Racing Group (World Of Outlaws) putting this program together is see why the wings and safety. Also I am hoping to see a lot of rookies in this class or the drivers that have retired at don't want to hustle the 410 cars like they did back in the day. JMO

7/30/15, 3:28 PM   #17
Can26

Take the time to Google Ohsweken speedway, and their crate program. The cars do run fairly well, and by A-main time the crates are about as fast as a tenth place 360 most nights.

2 members like this post: plymouthfan, west coast
8/4/15, 1:24 PM   #18
plymouthfan

I really hope this class works weekly. To think a new engine and parts with everything ready to bolt in and go for $7000. Where can you get a new 410, 360 or 305 for that. Hear that Joe Swanson already has one along with a few others. I when you hear guys like Terry Shephard looking at it that great for the sport.

2 members like this post: DIZZLE, west coast
8/4/15, 6:12 PM   #19
BrentTFunk

I wish them luck, but in my opinion I don't think the sport needs more divisions. We have wings, 410, 360, dirt, pavement. Sprint car racing is a small pie, and I don't know if it is good to slice out another piece.

4 members like this post: fish, JordanBlanton, oldfan49, spicoli
8/4/15, 7:07 PM   #20
PIT CART

I hate to argue mr funk but in my opinion there is a lot of sprint cars on stands because of engine cost. JMO

1 member likes this post: west coast
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 602 sprint car