IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
View Poll Results: Should I play it safe or roll the dice?
Play it safe 31 34.07%
Roll the dice 60 65.93%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll
Puppy (Offline)
  #11 1/20/16 10:50 PM
I'd move to Indy while you are younger (assuming you are) and chase the dream while it still burns at its hottest. Mostly so you don't regret NOT dong it later, as I did. Good advice from the others at being on the conservative side and sticking close to home, but I'd get to Indy, NOW!
2 Likes: fish, WinglessLovers
griffithracing (Offline)
  #12 1/20/16 11:26 PM
USA USA. Seriously though.... If you have no serious risks moving like a family I say go for it!!
cleatziff (Offline)
  #13 1/21/16 1:37 AM
Is it a career or hobby? Whichever it is you have to treat it that way. On a side note if it is a hobby that does not mean you are not dedicated and not a professional.
motorhead748 (Offline)
  #14 1/21/16 11:15 AM
I totally get that racing is addictive. I did it for 20 yr on 97% my own money. Easily some of my best memories revolves around a race track and the people I met there. That side of me says go for it.
OTOH... A big red flag to me is you mention the banks money. So. Unless your girlfriend last name is banks I would strictly not go down that road. What are your expectations 5-10 yr down the road? Are you thinking you get USAC roty and some wealthy car owner picks you up? It's not impossible but HIGHLY unlikely.
What skills do you have? A 3rd option may be to move to Indy, find a job, if your lucky it's racing related. Work a year or so and get settled and stable and then race. Maybe not concentrate on USAC but do some local stuff and if you want to travel a little the BOSS series has a pretty good program that may not bankrupt a little guy.
8 Likes: DirtHawk92, griffithracing, i love dirt track racing, JordanBlanton, Leohr46, racer-x, robert gatten, wallbanger II
WinglessLovers (Offline)
  #15 1/21/16 1:36 PM
Lee,

My wife and I moved to Indiana from Pennsylvania a year and a half ago for the sole purpose of watching wingless sprints and dedicated drivers like you. We love it here!! Wife says if you have a wife and children go with option A but if you don't option B is the way to go.

Bruce and Pat Eckel
3 Likes: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, motorhead748
DOWmotorsports (Offline)
  #16 1/21/16 2:10 PM
Definitely no wife or kids, and right now it's more than a hobby but sadly not a career. I'd like to believe the end goal would be to live/work in Indy and race 3 nights a week, for someone else or at least team up with someone. The two issues there is I can't just go get a job anywhere due to my citizenship, and I currently have no credibility to obtain sponsorship or a ride. Both issues I'm attempting to resolve but at the moment I'm at the cross roads of either -Career or -Chase the dream.

I really do appreciate and value all your opinions and advice, it's great to be able to discuss things like this with people who understand.
2 Likes: i love dirt track racing, WinglessLovers
mc/rider (Offline)
  #17 1/21/16 3:11 PM
For a determined young man considering pulling up stakes Indy should be a easy choice. Many race shops and a growing town with plenty of employment opportunities.Good luck.Hell, Aero moved here and he's just a rabid fan

When in doubt Gas It
2 Likes: PIT CART, WinglessLovers
jakeinc17 (Offline)
  #18 1/21/16 4:32 PM
I had a similar situation as yourself about 8 years ago and ill try to make this short. I was racing every weekend living at my moms working on the car in her two car garage and basically working to race with not a lot of other responsibility or money to say the least. I came to a cross roads (crashed three weekends in a row and blew up an engine) to which I continue down this path living the dream or sell off my racing operation and invest in making something of myself. I chose to sell off what I had and invest in my small welding business at the time. Its been 8 years now. My business has grown tremendously, I have a family but most of all I am in a position in which I can race when ever I want. Over the last years i have watched every non wing race the internet has to offer, lost friends from not being at the track, yet the desire is there every second of every day. I am happy with my decision because this year will be the year i will get back in the seat. Not much has changed..... race cars do not run off methanol they run off cash. Ive learned that racing will always be there. its been an agonizing few years but my goal was to be in a position to go to the race track to have fun and not to worry about nickle and diming every little thing because i really couldnt afford to be there in the first place or the stress of asking people for "sponsorship" aka money so i can race. When I made that decision, the biggest thing I was worried about was if i continued racing what happens in a few years if nothing has panned out ie a well paying ride that i can support a family and have a retirement ( for me i knew deep down that i wasnt the top 1 % that would get that opportunity), what would i have to show for those years other than a great experience? I chose the safe route, making something of myself so I can do everything: provide for my family at a top notch level, have a means of retirement, and race when ever i damn well choose without someone telling me I cant. Im at that stage now, it was tough in the beginning and through the middle but the light at the end of the tunnel was always there. However everyone looks at situations a bit different, good luck with your decision, its a big one!
6 Likes: DirtHawk92, dshort36, i love dirt track racing, interpreter66, Leohr46, racer-x
Jonr (Offline)
  #19 1/21/16 7:00 PM
Originally Posted by motorhead748:
...... A big red flag to me is you mention the banks money. So. Unless your girlfriend last name is banks I would strictly not go down that road......
I agree with this 100%. As we all know the best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one. If you are already upside down financially, the move makes no sense. If you are 100% free and clear of debt and have a modest war fund, then it may be worth doing.

No mater what level of racing you are doing, it is difficult when the funds are limited. I know when I raced that the fun meter was directly related to the level of funds in the racing account, and I was just a Saturday night special stock car driver. I would imagine it would be even worse trying to limp along with a national series.
cleatziff (Offline)
  #20 1/22/16 1:02 AM
My dad bought a house in 1973 for 13000. He kept taking out loans so he could race. He now owes about 36000 on the house and hasn't been in a race car since 1991
4 Likes: 53az, racer-x, team3521, TQ29m