IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > You might like this Pontiac Silverdome Midgets
2/28/14, 12:39 AM   #1
You might like this Pontiac Silverdome Midgets
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Nick Landon found this on Youtube
Pretty Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt07DTsJZ0s#t=31

1 member likes this post: sprintracer82
2/28/14, 9:52 AM   #2
sprintracer82

I think they raced there a couple years before that too. Last I went there it was for a monster truck show. Its a shame that a building like that is left for dead. I understand not every place can be saved, but there are lots of places like this just sitting.
Nick Landon

1 member likes this post: fish
2/28/14, 2:22 PM   #3
Re: You might like this Pontiac Silverdome Midgets
Stealth87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Nick Landon found this on Youtube
Pretty Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt07DTsJZ0s#t=31
Dang, I got super excited. My parent's car won this race (but I believe it was the year before this). Was hoping it was that one. Awesome video!

2/28/14, 2:48 PM   #4
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I attended the first one at the Silverdome on Dec. 6, 1980. It was an invitational event called "Heroes vs Outlaws". They ran the heats in the afternoon, cleared everyone out, sold a separate ticket for readmittance, and then ran the features in the evening. If I remember correctly, Rich Vogler turned down an invite because they didn't also invite his father, Don. I will have to do some research, as I don't remember who won the feature. I have a program from the race, but it is rather inaccessible now.

2/28/14, 3:02 PM   #5
Seadog

I'm pretty sure sprint cars and late models ran at the Silverdome too in the past. I also recall a security guard losing his life when a car hit an overhead door and it fell on him. Anybody remember any of this stuff or am I dreaming?

2/28/14, 3:15 PM   #6
Quick Change

Race Count This Year: 23
Race Count Last Year: 29

Gene Gennetten won the Heroes vs. Outlaws event. I was there too.

2/28/14, 3:48 PM   #7
ronmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Change View Post
Gene Gennetten won the Heroes vs. Outlaws event. I was there too.
Thanks! That jogged my memory!

2/28/14, 3:52 PM   #8
ronmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
I'm pretty sure sprint cars and late models ran at the Silverdome too in the past. I also recall a security guard losing his life when a car hit an overhead door and it fell on him. Anybody remember any of this stuff or am I dreaming?
Yes, they did run sprint cars and late models at the Silverdome. I seem to vaguely remember the incident you are speaking of.
I remember an incident at the Hoosier Dome midget race that killed two people in the pits. I believe it was a car driven by Chris Simmons that careened into the pits after striking a marker tire and breaking his steering. I believe one of the fatalities was an official named Smith, but I don't remember the other one.

2/28/14, 4:26 PM   #9
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
I believe you are referring to an accident in Grand Rapids where they had a winged pavement sprint indoor event where a door fell killing a security guard. Perhaps it happend at the Silverdome also but that was before my time. I was there at the Hoosier Dome when there was a fatality in the infield pits when a car went in out of control.

2 members like this post: apexonephoto, Seadog
2/28/14, 4:47 PM   #10
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post
I believe you are referring to an accident in Grand Rapids where they had a winged pavement sprint indoor event where a door fell killing a security guard. Perhaps it happend at the Silverdome also but that was before my time. I was there at the Hoosier Dome when there was a fatality in the infield pits when a car went in out of control.
From Mlive
In December 2005, auto racing fans were given an antidote to cabin fever when the Mason Dixon/Dixieland Challenge brought full-sized race cars to a quarter-mile track built inside the exhibit hall. The event was cut short after one night when a security guard was killed by a falling garage door. The event was staged the following year, but competitors were left with bounced checks from the promoter. Auto racing has not returned to DeVos Place.

Kevin Swindell won the sprint car feature the first year. I was at the second year, it was racing in Michigan in December... not much more.
Last edited by apexonephoto; 2/28/14 at 4:52 PM.

1 member likes this post: Seadog
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > You might like this Pontiac Silverdome Midgets