IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > You might like this Pontiac Silverdome Midgets
2/28/14, 5:18 PM   #11
Re: You might like this Pontiac Silverdome Midgets
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Yes, they did run sprint cars and late models at the Silverdome. I seem to vaguely remember the incident you are speaking of.
I remember an incident at the Hoosier Dome midget race that killed two people in the pits. I believe it was a car driven by Chris Simmons that careened into the pits after striking a marker tire and breaking his steering. I believe one of the fatalities was an official named Smith, but I don't remember the other one.
My dad had a friend/co-worker that co-owned a midget driven by Ted Hines that year. The car number escapes me but it was maroon and had a Pontiac power plant. One of the guys on his crew I believe sustained a badly broken leg from that incident but survived.

This is all from my (bad) memory here so take this with a grain of salt.

2/28/14, 5:47 PM   #12
Midget 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Change View Post
Gene Gennetten won the Heroes vs. Outlaws event. I was there too.
That race, as you will remember Quick Change, was on dirt. They hauled it in for the midgets and raced motorcycles the following weekend. Cost a fortune to clean the place after the races. Dust was everywhere including the press box. My wife saved me a sandwich. Covered it up with a napkin. She watched the races with Bernice and and Earl Baltes. She was quite entertained. Don't remember any sprint car races but ASA raced late models in 1983. Not much of a race. They really had to tip toe with the heavier cars. That also is on You Tube.

Last edited by Midget 89; 2/28/14 at 6:08 PM.

2/28/14, 6:23 PM   #13
duel

I remember the heats in the afternoon were great. Then it dried out for the features. They were watering the corners with what looked like garden hoses. horrible dusty evening. The next year i heard they had the dirt sitting outside and it froze. They had something in it to keep it moist. So they ran them on the pavement.

2/28/14, 6:37 PM   #14
sc17x

Went to both, midgets and dirt late models, got into press box at dirt late model show, got drunk with ndra president, can't remember his name.both good shows

Scott Caldwell

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > You might like this Pontiac Silverdome Midgets