IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thorson winging it too ?
1/19/22, 7:05 PM   #11
ThrowbackRacingTeam

USAC used to be the springboard to NASCAR and even INDY or at least Indy lights. Not so much anymore. It seems to have lost that connection and these young drivers view the WoO as their career destination. My opinion is… wings suck and the drivers are *******. I think we could be in store for a dramatic drop in car counts and lack of quality drivers. Let’s face it, USAC has become a feeder series for the outlaws. Prove yourself in USAC, get an outlaw ride. I remember when it used to be the other way around.
Last edited by ThrowbackRacingTeam; 1/19/22 at 7:08 PM.

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, duel, John P Huss, PIT CART, streetglider
1/19/22, 8:36 PM   #12
Re: Thorson winging it too ?
oldfan49

I've heard many traditional sprint racers saying they couldn't afford winged racing. It's not cheap to run a traveling winged series. Is there enough funds available to support the huge influx winged racing has going on. I wonder who will see the exit of top teams as making it financially advantageous to take off the wings and sleep in their own bed more often.
I have seen awful lot of awesome racing with no big names and up and comers in the field.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, Rapid Rick
1/19/22, 8:43 PM   #13
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
My response to this is, with respect, "USAC needs to step up $" or what? What are the consequences if they continue with the purse as is? Do we feel that the car counts will dwindle to the point of not being able to fill an entire field? It seems to me that each time a driver/team moves in a different, as in winged, direction their place is filled with another team willing to step up to the USAC schedule. While I haven't done the research myself, it would be interesting to me to know what the average per race event car count is between WOO, Allstars, ASCS National and USAC National races.

Tim Simmons
Here are the 2021 average car count stats: WOO: 32.6. All Stars: 35.6. ASCS National: 36.6. USAC National Sprints: 34.2

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, Daisy's dad, jdull99, opnwhlmnd, Rapid Rick
1/19/22, 9:52 PM   #14
Rapid Rick

Silver Crown offers pavement experience that looks good on a NASCAR resume. In the past that experience could be had in sprints and midgets as well. Perhaps offering something other sanctioning bodies don't is another way to survive.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, erich45, Hustlin-Hoosier
1/19/22, 10:14 PM   #15
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Rick View Post
Silver Crown offers pavement experience that looks good on a NASCAR resume. In the past that experience could be had in sprints and midgets as well. Perhaps offering something other sanctioning bodies don't is another way to survive.
We have a winning reply.

4 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld, sprinter14, Will Shunk
1/20/22, 12:32 AM   #16
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser View Post
Here are the 2021 average car count stats: WOO: 32.6. All Stars: 35.6. ASCS National: 36.6. USAC National Sprints: 34.2
You win the internet today. Great job!!!!!

2 members like this post: jdull99, mc/rider
1/20/22, 7:42 AM   #17
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
USAC used to be the springboard to NASCAR and even INDY or at least Indy lights. Not so much anymore. It seems to have lost that connection and these young drivers view the WoO as their career destination. My opinion is… wings suck and the drivers are *******. I think we could be in store for a dramatic drop in car counts and lack of quality drivers. Let’s face it, USAC has become a feeder series for the outlaws. Prove yourself in USAC, get an outlaw ride. I remember when it used to be the other way around.
Exactly how many WoO drivers have left to go run USAC?

4 members like this post: Blitzman, PIT CART, progressive22, Russ
1/20/22, 8:56 AM   #18
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser View Post
Thanks, Kinser - So it appears to me that USAC is as healthy as the other series. Losing some to the wings may not have the dire consequences feared. Indeed, it could be that some "refreshing" of the field may be good as some leave but are replaced with fresh faces.

Tim Simmons

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dougherty20
1/20/22, 9:52 AM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Same stuff, different year, decade, century.

In terms of making $$ the biggest difference is the points payout. not the purse
5k-500
vs
7k-700.

Not to mention triple engine maintenence for wing.
Probably twice the tire and fuel bill.

Take away the ISW and OHio Sprint week from those and the three or four big races from WoO like Nationals and Kings Royal and them counts drop by a third.

1/20/22, 11:47 AM   #20
2rock21

Half the tire bill.

1 member likes this post: spankytoo
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thorson winging it too ?