IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
chathamracefan (Offline)
  #1 5/18/20 9:27 PM
Given the probable lack of availability of the Illinois miles I’m wondering if THAT will be tabbed to host some crown races later this summer. Without the miles not many tracks for those cars other than Eldora and Knoxville. Maybe Lucas Oil.

Just spitballing here. I know nothing.
addictedtodirt (Offline)
  #2 5/18/20 9:41 PM
Bring back the Indianapolis fairgrounds! The fan level rose each year after the ethanol debacle. The want is there and now the need is there given the leadership of gov in Illinois. The track surface has yet to be changed for the horse industry so bring back the racecars!
15 Likes: Big Mike 7, billw, chathamracefan, chrismattlin, dirt330, dirtball, duel, Indy1808, Ken Bonnema, oppweld, ronmil, Stephen Cording, superstock30, tirespinner, tj39
racefan20 (Offline)
  #3 5/18/20 9:57 PM
Milwaukee Mile and Nashville Fairgrounds have both been promoted by Sargent

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
3 Likes: dirtball, Indy1808, tirespinner
openwheelfan1 (Offline)
  #4 5/18/20 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by addictedtodirt:
Bring back the Indianapolis fairgrounds! The fan level rose each year after the ethanol debacle. The want is there and now the need is there given the leadership of gov in Illinois. The track surface has yet to be changed for the horse industry so bring back the racecars!
Unless the Fair Board reverses it’s decision, it won’t happen. They are the ones that made racing at the ISF mile go away, and they have to rescind their decision in order to have a race there again. Unfortunately, given the Board’s current make-up, you are more likely to see Satan blue in color and have frost on his pitchfork.
5 Likes: dirtball, interpreter66, LB, mc/rider, tirespinner
B99 (Offline)
  #5 5/19/20 2:26 PM
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1:
Unless the Fair Board reverses it’s decision, it won’t happen. They are the ones that made racing at the ISF mile go away, and they have to rescind their decision in order to have a race there again. Unfortunately, given the Board’s current make-up, you are more likely to see Satan blue in color and have frost on his pitchfork.
Not impossible.

Satan currently weighs 450 pounds, wears a bad rug and poses as the governor of Illinois.....
13 Likes: addictedtodirt, chathamracefan, duel, illinifan, Indy1808, ISF, Joe Schaub, luckybuc97, openwheelfan1, PIT CART, racenut69, sw1911, trackprep
B99 (Offline)
  #6 5/19/20 2:28 PM
Originally Posted by addictedtodirt:
Was anyone else struck by the hypocrisy of the response from Eric Holcomb to the folks at Daugherty? Auto racing has no bigger supporter than Governor Holcomb? Which is of course, why he allowed the fair board to kick auto racing out after an on again, off sometimes run for over a century and be replaced by a parking lot.
3 Likes: Indy1808, ISF, ronmil
Indy1808 (Offline)
  #7 5/19/20 6:40 PM
Back to topic...Yes I would love to see both Hoosier 100 & SUMAR 100 run there this year. Wouldn't that be great?

For you history buffs and youngsters too.
Chapman S. Root, heir to the Coca-Cola bottle design fortune, and his friend Donald E. Smith founded Sumar Racing in Terre Haute, Indiana, in 1952. The name Sumar comes from the wives of the two men, Susan Root and Mary Smith. Their well-known racing cars, the Sumar Specials, were a major force in IndyCar racing.

Peace & love to all.
God bless our Troops at home and abroad.
INDY1808 SEE YOU AT THE RACES !
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing
11 Likes: bighd0522, Bill Angel, duel, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ken Bonnema, OnTheHammer, rick42, superstock30, tirespinner, tj39, WinglessLovers
ISF (Offline)
  #8 5/19/20 9:57 PM
Originally Posted by Indy1808:
Back to topic...Yes I would love to see both Hoosier 100 & SUMAR 100 run there this year. Wouldn't that be great?

For you history buffs and youngsters too.
Chapman S. Root, heir to the Coca-Cola bottle design fortune, and his friend Donald E. Smith founded Sumar Racing in Terre Haute, Indiana, in 1952. The name Sumar comes from the wives of the two men, Susan Root and Mary Smith. Their well-known racing cars, the Sumar Specials, were a major force in IndyCar racing.
Another historical fact involving the Sumar Special. I believe Marshall Teague was fatally injured while attempting to set a closed course world speed record driving the Sumar Special at the newly completed Daytona International Speedway. This took place just 11 days prior to the very first running of the Daytona 500 in February of 1959.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
4 Likes: Indy1808, Ken Bonnema, racer-x, tirespinner
Indy1808 (Offline)
  #9 7/12/20 2:13 PM
Originally Posted by ISF:
Another historical fact involving the Sumar Special. I believe Marshall Teague was fatally injured while attempting to set a closed course world speed record driving the Sumar Special at the newly completed Daytona International Speedway. This took place just 11 days prior to the very first running of the Daytona 500 in February of 1959.
Yes you are correct ISF. I just recently watched it on a 16 minute you tube video.

https://youtu.be/upSK_8ke4g4

Peace & love to all.
God bless our Troops at home and abroad.
INDY1808 SEE YOU AT THE RACES !
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing
sw1911 (Offline)
  #10 7/12/20 6:24 PM
Originally Posted by chathamracefan:
Given the probable lack of availability of the Illinois miles I’m wondering if THAT will be tabbed to host some crown races later this summer. Without the miles not many tracks for those cars other than Eldora and Knoxville. Maybe Lucas Oil.

Just spitballing here. I know nothing.
Good idea. Run 'em every month. It doesn't look like much is using the track.