IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What makes Larson so good?
11/26/23, 4:20 PM   #1
What makes Larson so good?
revjimk

Winning Turkey Nite from 10th was no big surprise, right?
Kyle is head & shoulders better than all the other excellent dirt track racers.... Why???
What makes Larson so damn good?

11/26/23, 5:42 PM   #2
Re: What makes Larson so good?
openwheelfan1

He’s smooth with the throttle and the brake, he can read the race track, he has EXCELLENT race craft, and he can anticipate the racers and the track. That combination has always been hard to beat.

2 members like this post: racenut69, WinglessLovers
11/26/23, 6:04 PM   #3
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
He’s smooth with the throttle and the brake, he can read the race track, he has EXCELLENT race craft, and he can anticipate the racers and the track. That combination has always been hard to beat.
OK, but don't lots of guys have those skills? What makes him different?

11/26/23, 6:21 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I watch some of these guys and they can tell if they were a tenth faster than the last lap or not.

Larson is one of the best to feel traction. Meaning getting the best forward bite possible without wasting power. You over spin and your just going slower. He's always been able to find the best forward bite the fastest and if that goes away, the best to find second best area on the track.

Patience. He didn't beat his car to death at the Hangtown second night and was there for the end

He also is there now to win and have fun. He will still knock the walls down to win if he has too. But after dozens of wins and championship in Nascar, It's not now his first choice. Really think his Nascar chief calmed him down

He's also got one of the best dirt crew chiefs there is..

After all that, He wins a lot, But he's just a family guy. Humble. Not full of himself.

Glad I have gotten to witness a lot of his career.

11/26/23, 6:35 PM   #5
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
OK, but don't lots of guys have those skills? What makes him different?
Yes, lots of guys do have those skills, but IMO, Larson’s are at a higher, more developed level. His anticipation and racecraft especially. I think part of that is due to his competition at higher levels and speeds. Like any athletic endeavor…the higher level you compete at, the more you develop your skills. Driving and anticipating at 200 mph is levels different n that required at 60 mph (average speed for a 12 sec. Lap at Ventura). After all, Larson just finished his 10 season in NASCAR’s highest levels. MANY of his competitors in midgets were still in quarter midgets when he was driving 200 mph.

UNDERSTAND…I am taking nothing from Corey Day, Justin Grant, Logan Seavy et al. They are clearly performing at amazing levels and have more than once demonstrated skills above and beyond many other racers. I’m sure that if they are ever fortunate enough to get to the next level they could excel and develop their talents just as Larson has.

1 member likes this post: racenut69
11/26/23, 6:45 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Yes, lots of guys do have those skills, but IMO, Larson’s are at a higher, more developed level. His anticipation and racecraft especially. I think part of that is due to his competition at higher levels and speeds. Like any athletic endeavor…the higher level you compete at, the more you develop your skills. Driving and anticipating at 200 mph is levels different n that required at 60 mph (average speed for a 12 sec. Lap at Ventura). After all, Larson just finished his 10 season in NASCAR’s highest levels. MANY of his competitors in midgets were still in quarter midgets when he was driving 200 mph.

UNDERSTAND…I am taking nothing from Corey Day, Justin Grant, Logan Seavy et al. They are clearly performing at amazing levels and have more than once demonstrated skills above and beyond many other racers. I’m sure that if they are ever fortunate enough to get to the next level they could excel and develop their talents just as Larson has.

I agree with you on the higher level part.

Not on the Nascar part. I think the only thing that's helped him will is teach him patience. He had that higher level before he ever stepped into NASCAR.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, jjones752, motorhead748
11/26/23, 7:18 PM   #7
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Kyle has spent the majority of his life at a race track strapped into a race car going in circles. It's that simple. when you do something allot you'll either get better and better and better or not. He obviously improves every time he races and he races allot. It's that simple.

P.S. May is closing in fast. The Indy 500 is going to be very interesting
Last edited by Rich Mersereau; 11/27/23 at 7:25 AM.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, racenut69
11/27/23, 2:10 AM   #8
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau View Post
Kyle has spent the majority of his life at a race track strapped into a race car going in circles. It's that simple. when you do something allot you'll either get better and better and better or not. He obviously improves every time he races and he races allot. It's that simple.
A lot of them have been racing since they were kids

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
11/27/23, 2:15 AM   #9
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I agree with you on the higher level part.

Not on the Nascar part. I think the only thing that's helped him will is teach him patience. He had that higher level before he ever stepped into NASCAR.
Pretty much how i think. Kyle swept the 4 Crown early in career well before joining NASCAR. But I don't doubt that driving 200 mph on a regular basis would probably make 140 in a sprint car seem easier....

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
11/27/23, 7:13 AM   #10
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Steve Kinser mentioned his wrestling coach taught him how to win. Many drivers have the amazing skill set to be fast but champions have the mental edge also. .
I cant remember the exact quote, something about balls and brain working together. My theory is winners win because thats what they do. Their not better or faster drivers, their better and faster winners

1 member likes this post: racenut69
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What makes Larson so good?