IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora Crowd
5/12/08, 7:24 AM   #1
Eldora Crowd
Dyno Don

Saturdays crowd at Eldora was the smallest I can remember for an USAC show.

Is this a sign that gas prices are going to take their toll on track attendance?

Or was it because they were running on Pole Day?

Beautiful day with comfortable temps, and with so many rain outs, I would have thought they would have had a much larger crowd.

5/12/08, 7:33 AM   #2
Re: Eldora Crowd
bigmojo5

Or, part of the crowd was at Haubstadt for the MSCS???

Jim Morrison

5/12/08, 7:53 AM   #3
Bilbee17

Usac never gets a big crowd for a normal show there anymore. Thats why they ran the World of Outlaws the friday before the 4-crown to try and put more people in the stands.

5/12/08, 8:26 AM   #4
BIGEBUDMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbee17 View Post
Usac never gets a big crowd for a normal show there anymore. Thats why they ran the World of Outlaws the friday before the 4-crown to try and put more people in the stands.
That is true, also it is a rescheduled race which always hurts attendance.

5/12/08, 8:58 AM   #5
smallblock

could be price of gas or the greed of reserving the top 11 rows

5/12/08, 9:10 AM   #6
Seadog

Economy is not good, gas prices are sky high, weather has not really been that great, and lots of choices vying for the entertainment dollar. You may have your own reasons other than these for not attending.

I will stick mostly to the home track ('burg) as long as $$$ is like this for me, with maybe an occasional trip outside of Cincy.

I have only been to two events this season so far. I don't think I'll hit more than 8 - 10 events this whole season. The money is just not there for me to do the 40 - 50 events in a season like I used to. I am a racing addict and it really hurts when I can't afford to get my fix.

Times are tough for me and lots of others out there.

5/12/08, 10:52 AM   #7
dfish

Maybe people are tired of Eldora not living up to the hype the way it used to.

5/12/08, 10:56 AM   #8
smbpreformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish View Post
Maybe people are tired of Eldora not living up to the hype the way it used to.
You mean the way it used to not live up to the hype?:O:

5/12/08, 11:00 AM   #9
nonwing

This race was my first one back to Eldora in probably 10 or more years. Not because of anything in particular, just didn't seem to be on my radar screen. Plus living in Brownsburg we have so many tracks near by with such awesome racing, I chose to be close to home and more recently see my friends race, when I felt good enough to go.

I will say this, man was it dusty. Even Tracy after his win said he was really scared the last few laps trying to see where he was going. It reminded me of racing at Terre Haute during the day. Most of you probably don't remember seeing a day show however.

I took a few folks who had never been to a dirt race and we had to move our stuff to the top of the hill in turn one during the feature so we could see what was going on. Out next race for them, if I can get them to go again, will be Bloomington with that red clay and 3 wide racing.

Gas prices.... We rode over in a Toyota Camry and that wasn't cheap. I cannot imagine towing with one of those big Diesels. Funny, I wonder if they will go back to towing like I did with an open trailer? Naw, those teams are too spoiled.

George Wilkins

5/12/08, 12:18 PM   #10
SUPERDUKE
Banned

:greenflag:SEVERAL REASONS FOR THIS! I LIVE 28 MILES FROM ELDORA! NO TV ADV.NO NEWSPAPER ADV. NO RADIO ADV. AND ADV. IN SPEEDSPORT NEWS REACHS 700O NATIONWIDE AND MOST GOT THERES SAT! TO MANY TRACKS RACING SPRINT CARS IN THE AREA!!! NO PROMOTER!! TRACK IS ALWAYS DRY AND DUSTY! TONY NEEDS TO HIRE SOMEONE TO DO PR AND ADV. THAT KNOWS ITS NOT EASY TO GET PEOPLE TO GO TO RACES ANYMORE! ITS GOING TO GET TOUGH THIS YEAR FOR EVERY PROMOTER! ITS GOING TO TAKE A LOT OF HARD WORK AND TIME TO GET IT DONE! ALL NASCAR RACES ARE DOWN BIG TIME! PHOENIX HAD 40.000 LESS THEN LAST SPRING RACE!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora Crowd