IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > BMARA engine rules are now D-II
1/12/15, 10:37 PM   #21
Kuhn74

I dont think the intention is to alienate anyone. A "national" engine could easily be restricted by placing smaller I.D. injector stacks on the engine. That would give everyone a more equalized playing field. If the cheaper engines can be competitive or win a few shows, there becomes less reason for a guy to go spend $35k on a brand new engine. Good move I think, I also think USAC is placing themselves in a manner to go down this exact same road. For the record....there arent any $50k midget engines out there, if someone says that, they havent done their research. Also, there are alot of front running, competitive guys that run their engines more than 15-20 nights between rebuilds (also a misnomer by many who speak without really knowing).

Agreed that they should just call them Midgets. All the different variations does nothing to help the sport. It confuses the fans and waters down the "championship titles" that used to be special and coveted. Case in point.....USAC has the ignite series, formerly Ford Focus, how many Champions do they have each year? The answer is, too many for it to mean anything....it has been too watered down. Same thing with the "National Champion." A few years back when Kevin Miller thought by crowning more "Champions" he would increase car counts. So they crowned a pavement, a dirt, and an overall "Champion." What a great idea, car counts continued to drop, point funds were split up to the point of not worth much and there were so many "Champions" the fans were confused and everyone gets a trophy like it is little league.

You all know what a midget is, if you have one, call it a midget. If you dont, dont do the midget world a disservice by calling it one.

Personally speaking, not bashing anyone, I think they need drivelines and no chains at a minimum to be competing on some of these tracks. The chain seems like a safety concern to me.

Good move by Badger to try and rejuvenate racing in a area with such great heritage.

Now, for everyone that has been begging for this to happen, get out there and support these guys.

1/12/15, 10:56 PM   #22
Re: BMARA engine rules are now D-II
DAD

Rule Number 1 race on 3/8 mile and below race tracks, in fact make most of them less than a 1/4 mile. With a chance to win $500.00 for winning the main, I don't think we will be traveling a whole lot. I guess the national class would be for the guys that liked to travel and could write off the expenses. When we started out racing Mini Sprints going to Chillicothe Ohio was considered a major road trip. A big cost in running big tracks and pavement is Horsepower, then we are negating the purpose of this class. I don't see any thing inherently dangerous with chain as a drive option I do think with a Z link suspension changing gear ratio is a real pain. Don't run off your competitors the way some groups have already become so good at doing.

Know anybody that has a deal on a Toyota Motor? With restrictors that is for the injectors? Maybe to start out with an old National motors would be OK but when that next $3000.00++ freshen up rolls around why not just get an Echotec and race for a couple of years on it. Granted an under stressed National motor would be much cheaper to maintain and would not require all the high dollar internals to perform in this class.

When USAC decided to have a dirt champion and an pavement champion what happened to the pavement series? Why?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/12/15 at 11:19 PM.

1/12/15, 11:20 PM   #23
Kellen Conover

Again it's hard to say until the actual rules are posted. I just hate to see rule changes made without empirical data to back them up and no matter what happens at least this will help with that. Hopefully this will help them grow either way.

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/12/15, 11:25 PM   #24
Re: BMARA engine rules are now D-II
DAD

Kellen

The data is>>>>> they were running out of cars. They have always been a club that did not march to the same drummer as other groups and when they tried the high dollar deal they shot themselves in the foot. I guess you might say that they are going back to their roots.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/12/15 at 11:26 PM.

1/12/15, 11:30 PM   #25
Buddyl

Chain welcome

1/12/15, 11:31 PM   #26
Kellen Conover

I get that part, but at one point everyone wanted the VW gone too and now some wish we were back to those days. I simply mean I would like to see actual dyno comparisons between different motors, injection restrictors have been mentioned before but hardly could be a one size fits all deal I would think. Again I have no doubt they are doing what they feel is in their best interest and that's great for them.
Last edited by Kellen Conover; 1/12/15 at 11:42 PM.

2 members like this post: DAD, jdull99
1/12/15, 11:37 PM   #27
R.Drang

No intake restrictions on the national engines. Make them add weight and maybe a hard RR.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
1/12/15, 11:53 PM   #28
badcoupe

And a rr tire size restriction like montpelier does national motor cars are limited to 10" rr where as minisprints and other motors are allowed 13"

1/13/15, 12:00 AM   #29
cbaumeyer48

This Ohio State vs Oregon game is awesome!!!

2 members like this post: El1teBr33ze, Wayne Davis
1/13/15, 12:11 AM   #30
SteveB31

The chains aren't safe? Seriously? Their are many micros, 600s and lightning sprints running around that are chain driven and ain't no chains hurt anybody. I love midgets and I own and drive a lightning sprint cause I cannot afford a midget. If this idea up there is adopted everywhere I could afford a midget. I think the only problem here is the midget owners hate it when they get beat by the chain driven car, and that can and will happen when these cars are run together, on the 1/4 miles.

4 members like this post: dirtball, jjones752, RickyBobby, Wayne Davis
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > BMARA engine rules are now D-II