IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Price of mini sprints
2/22/15, 11:51 PM   #21
Bradleyracing86

May I ask what you race, are you a car owner, driver... Or maybe a track owner?
Noticed you are new to IOW..

2/23/15, 12:05 AM   #22
Racer17k

Looking into getting an upright.. im not hear to start something.. just what I notice and my thoughts.. what u can save can go to new gear or tires instead of motors
Last edited by Racer17k; 2/23/15 at 12:13 AM.

2/23/15, 4:58 AM   #23
Re: Price of mini sprints
jyoung8j

Since were on a rant about the cost of minis and the sol group and waynesfield keep coming up im surprised your not complaining about the fact that they went to a american racer rr at jackson but everywhere else runs hoosier.. So if you like the idea of cheap heres a food for thought... The sol series is running sat nights also at brushcreek.. So you can run against the same cars that run on fri night mayb a few more for the guys that cant get off fri to race. Yes to run waynesfield you most definately will need that big motor and alot more to run up front. But as i see it if your coming from a kart chances of you beating those guys are going to be slim.. Idk how many races youve watched or been to but alot goes into these things other then which tire prep to use.. Not slamming karts or anyone that comes from them but ive drove them and its def not a mini sprint.. So basically my point of this post was if you wanna race cheapest way possible stay down south and run fri jackson and sat at brushcreek.. Ive taken some good amount of time off and just getting back into it and as of now these are my intentions only because my car is on gas... However next year i may look into different avenues... I also probably wont run every race due to working for a arca team.. But needless to say sol series if fits you better i guarantee as a beginner youll have a good time... Thats what its about right!!!!

2/23/15, 8:10 AM   #24
wonracer

Not only southern Ohio is running gas n stock. Michigan has there gas n stock motors and running on premier dirt tracks. Our car counts are on the rise this season also. Merritt speedway and Cherry speedway has full schedules and the we have a couple races at Crystal speedway. I have been down that go kart trail, chased the pro kart tour for 3 years $$$$ . It really doesn't matter what your going to race the facts are if your not winning and you want to win your going to be pulling out the check book. Pick your poison and lets go racing!!! IMO

2/23/15, 9:09 AM   #25
Bear10

Wonder why no one talks about how much safer alcohol is or how much cooler alcohol burns... go talk to any engine builder out there especially the drag car builders who produce massive horsepower... there going to tell u that gas makes wayyyy more power! And they are rite! I proved it and other guys have proven it ... problem is its not as safe and you can't get the motors to run cool enough . So if this is a thread of cost I'll bet the gas guys over a few years will spend just as much money replacing motors than they would with alcohol conversion. Also there are many alcohol conversions out there... expensive and economy... bang for your buck call Bradley racing and he can fix you up on alcohol for very little cost !

2/23/15, 10:38 AM   #26
Racer17k

Okay this is my problem and many others in northwest ohio.. I live about 30 mins from waynesfield but my dad lives in southern ohio he wants to get a legend car.It would be nice to take work off and go to bushcreek and jackson together for a weekend be a blast but now I have to buy a different motor.. thats what im saying there is no flex.. im stuck in amsa unless I want to spend alot of I feel unnecessary money and time to do both. I think thats what hurting this sport the most ur stuck at certain tracks and people complain about payout I think it would help bring big pay out shows bc they know they will get the car count bc everyone would be on the same rules. Plus if I buy a car racing at waynesfield is going to cost more bc of the motor vs one from north or south but then I have to spend money in the motor to be competitive and be stuck at one track..

2/23/15, 10:45 AM   #27
Racer17k

Its has nothing to do with cost of maintenance or cost of safety to u or others that comes with the sport.I have no.problem with that it just the unnecessary cost of motor I feel keep it stock cam, head, bore and stroke and have a good tech program with alcohol conversions thats up to the drivers I feel theres probably not enough displacment to make much gain

2/23/15, 11:51 AM   #28
Jim Gardner

And you would be correct. Stock internals and a few hundred dollars (which are reusable if you go through multiple motors) in an aftermarket alky system is far and away the best long term plan for these engines. Also much safer.

My big concern is the exclusivity of certain combinations. Why some series ban mechanical injection, alcohol, or certain compounds of tires blows my mind. Why wouldn't you want anybody and everybody to be able to come race at your track or with your group? Rules need to be set in order to keep competition fair, but "my way vs your way" isn't strengthening any series its killing it.

I live in Cincinnati with a decently competitive car wherever I go. However if I travel 2 hours to the east I have to fall under one set up rules, 2 hours to the north another, and 2 hours west a third. If I'm coming from the kart ranks- I see this class of car that appears to be affordable (by racing terms),\ and are bad ass, but limits where and how often I can race based on a $500 difference (5% of my total investment in a $10,000) in fuel delivery systems; I would consider something with more flexibility. What's nice about UMP mods (even though I think they are atrocious to watch) is they race everywhere under the same rules. You can run Moler Friday, Florence/Lawrenceburg Saturday and actually get to use your investment. In this class you have to put all of your nuts in one basket, conform to one group's schedule, and hope that you don't get rained out in order to have 1 race to go to that weekend. Maybe that's why most of the Cincinnatians are out of this class. It's nuts.

2/23/15, 12:27 PM   #29
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I thought the "National" rules were supposed to fix all this (tongue planted firmly in cheek).
I also thought this was the Classifieds (even more firmly in cheek)...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2/23/15, 12:38 PM   #30
Jim Gardner

both good points Jim. But the national rules aren't national if they aren't accepted by the groups. They're still in the early stages. Don't know why this is in the classifieds, I just address where needed.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Price of mini sprints