IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg ISW Updates
7/11/11, 12:19 PM   #161
Re: Lawrenceburg ISW Updates
webster7

I don't really care how dusty it gets. If you have a one lane race track, you have no race. Gas City one lane. No good. Kokomo...multiple grooves. Great show. Last nite...one groove. All crap. I'll never accept the fact that the heat is the problem. The O'Connor's seem to make it work.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
7/11/11, 12:27 PM   #162
Downey44

Not bashing the new track, or showing any disrespect for all that work many long hard hours prepping it. Just stating, I enjoyed watching on the old track better than the new one. As I said earlier, Butch and I are more "bull ring" racers, as that's what we did the most of years ago. I guess as I more or less grew up at the old Burg it holds a place in my heart, as i'm sure it does many others. I wish nothing but the best for the new track, but will always think of the past as i'm setting in the stands. Now lets finish out ISW with some great racing and good weather!!

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, DWX 9929, Eatin Dirt, REH24, wallbanger II
7/11/11, 2:50 PM   #163
TeamCGR

From a race teams perspective: First, we love to race at the Burg, always have. Dave and Kim are first rate people. They've been nothing but gracious to us over the years.

The last 2 races we have competed in at the burg have resulted in 2 cut tires. One while leading and the other simply exploded last night after Coleman fought from 21st to 9th. If no one else had tire issues, I would have to say it is just tough luck. But with the amount of tires down last night, it has to be something. Perhaps there is something in the compound that is assisting in cut tires. Our RR after the feature looked almost new so calling is a wearing issue may not be the right answer.

Thank the good Lord that Coleman did not flip when it blew up or that he was not on the end of the front stretch. Instead he was just coming off the corner, which may be the slowest speed of a lap. That could have been disasterous. And, he almost collected the 11 car in the process since the car almost came to a stop instantly. The tire explosion was so violent, it ripped the left side Stainless Steel nerf bar completely off the car.

Regardless, two very important races with cut tires is truly making us rethink our Saturday night track. It is a long haul for us to start with but then to believe we are rolling the dice each time is something no team can afford. But, it may be just dumb luck. However once is bad luck, twice in a row is perhaps something more especially when tire wear is not the issue.

No bashers please; just stating the fact on the tires and my opinion as a car owner. Thanks.

Pete Gulick
www.colemangulick.com
Join us on Facebook: Coleman Gulick Racing
God Bless our Troops and God Bless the USA

7/11/11, 4:28 PM   #164
BIGEBUDMAN

Dave will get it figured out, this is not Eldora.lol

7/11/11, 5:09 PM   #165
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGEBUDMAN View Post
Dave will get it figured out, this is not Eldora.lol
I think I have heard that comment before.
It was a no passing dusty track.
Yeah I was at the races and I'm complaining and I can stay home and all that and go somewhere else.
The water mist that was coming from the truck looked like half of it was evaporating before it hit the track. More water was needed out of that spicket. IMO

1 member likes this post: SHORTBUS
7/11/11, 6:25 PM   #166
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCGR View Post
From a race teams perspective: First, we love to race at the Burg, always have. Dave and Kim are first rate people. They've been nothing but gracious to us over the years.

The last 2 races we have competed in at the burg have resulted in 2 cut tires. One while leading and the other simply exploded last night after Coleman fought from 21st to 9th. If no one else had tire issues, I would have to say it is just tough luck. But with the amount of tires down last night, it has to be something. Perhaps there is something in the compound that is assisting in cut tires. Our RR after the feature looked almost new so calling is a wearing issue may not be the right answer.

Thank the good Lord that Coleman did not flip when it blew up or that he was not on the end of the front stretch. Instead he was just coming off the corner, which may be the slowest speed of a lap. That could have been disasterous. And, he almost collected the 11 car in the process since the car almost came to a stop instantly. The tire explosion was so violent, it ripped the left side Stainless Steel nerf bar completely off the car.

Regardless, two very important races with cut tires is truly making us rethink our Saturday night track. It is a long haul for us to start with but then to believe we are rolling the dice each time is something no team can afford. But, it may be just dumb luck. However once is bad luck, twice in a row is perhaps something more especially when tire wear is not the issue.

No bashers please; just stating the fact on the tires and my opinion as a car owner. Thanks.

Pete Gulick
Perhaps it was debris? What corner did the tire explode? We saw a brake rotor from one sprint car in turn one and I think maybe a driveshaft on a mod gave way (single car that lost power and rolled all the way to turn three) in turn one as well. They picked up a lot of debris from the mod incident all through one an into two both low and high.

Overall, from an outsider, we enjoyed the show. Yes it was dusty but you had a few cars come from the very back so there was some passing (for them anyway). I had no idea the banking on that track is as high as it was. I bet it's a blast to run on.

Enjoyed the mods as well but I'm biased there, lol.

7/12/11, 12:33 AM   #167
TheLip2

I can tell you one thing. 2" to 2-1/2" rocks were getting thrown 15 rows into the main grandstand on the first Saturday of racing in May. It was ridiculous and unbelievable that someone
wasn't severely hurt. You should have heard them when they hammered those aluminum grandstands. That could definately explain cut tires because these rocks were of the sharp and jagged variety. (I still have the rocks if someone wants to see pictures) It breaks my heart to say this cause I am as big of a Burg fan as anyone, but "the track conditions have totally sucked this year." I would be asking myself, "what is different?" The prep? The dirt? What is the answer?
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: dusty tracks
7/12/11, 12:40 AM   #168
lazyifoto

I'm still waiting to find out what time they start ( actual racing )a sunday evening show?????????????? I didn't think it was a cRaZy question to ask but no one knew apparently.........

7/12/11, 12:49 AM   #169
reeserx

Different track prep people is probably to blame
Posted using Mobile Device

7/12/11, 1:56 AM   #170
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyifoto View Post
I'm still waiting to find out what time they start ( actual racing )a sunday evening show?????????????? I didn't think it was a cRaZy question to ask but no one knew apparently.........
This I would have liked to have known, also. I found out about 30 miles into my trip over from Terre Haute. I'm lucky I didn't get a speeding ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLip2 View Post
I can tell you one thing. 2" to 2-1/2" rocks were getting thrown 15 rows into the main grandstand on the first Saturday of racing in May. It was ridiculous and unbelievable that someone
wasn't severely hurt. You should have heard them when they hammered those aluminum grandstands. That could definately explain cut tires because these rocks were of the sharp and jagged variety. (I still have the rocks if someone wants to see pictures) It breaks my heart to say this cause I am as big of a Burg fan as anyone, but "the track conditions have totally sucked this year." I would be asking myself, "what is different?" The prep? The dirt? What is the answer?
Posted via Mobile Device
I didn't get hit by any, but when I was sitting in the pit grandstand during qualifications, every now and then you would hear a loud "PWONGGG", as a decent sized rock smashed into the aluminum. Or more often "PING" as smaller ones hit.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/12/11 at 2:02 AM.

1 member likes this post: TheLip2
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg ISW Updates