IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT - IndyCar's Tony Kanaan in the Prelude?
6/2/10, 12:06 PM   #1
OT - IndyCar's Tony Kanaan in the Prelude?
Seadog

Read a post from somebody at TF that Kanaan was running the Prelude. Anybody know about this or how it came to be?

6/2/10, 1:26 PM   #2
Re: OT - IndyCar's Tony Kanaan in the Prelude
BillyG

Haven't seen anything about TK being in the prelude but did see where they have added Travis Pastrana

Action Sports Legend Travis Pastrana to Compete in Gillette Fusion ProGlide Prelude to the Dream

Will Join Fellow Motocross Champion Ricky Carmichael in All-Star Dirt Late Model Race Live on HBO Pay-Per-View® from Eldora

ROSSBURG, Ohio (June 1, 2010) – His resume is legendary in the world of action sports. He’s the most successful competitor in the history of X Games freestyle motocross, a five-time United States amateur motocross champion, and winner of four consecutive championships in the Rally America Series.

He is Travis Pastrana, and never afraid to try something new and different, the Red Bull athlete will take on yet another challenge when he competes in the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Prelude to the Dream June 9 at the legendary Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio.

“I’ve raced a lot of different types of cars in my career, and like every racer, I want to do well,” said Pastrana, who has become renown for seemingly doing the impossible, such as intentionally flipping his motorcycle over an airborne helicopter to jumping his Subaru WRX a world-record 269 feet last New Year’s Eve. “Compared to the Cup drivers, I am the low man on the totem pole and have very little experience, but I know it will be a good time and I’m honored to be a part of this event.”
The Gillette Fusion ProGlide Prelude to the Dream will be presented live to the entire nation on HBO Pay-Per-View® with net proceeds from the telecast supporting four of the nation’s top children’s hospitals:

• Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis: www.RileyChildrensHospital.com

• Cincinnati Children’s: www.CincinnatiChildrens.org

• Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte, N.C.: www.LevineChildrensHospital.org

• St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn.: www.StJude.org

“Travis is an incredible talent on two wheels and on four,” said Tony Stewart, owner of Eldora Speedway. “We’re really happy to have him participate in the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Prelude to the Dream. I know myself and the other drivers with dirt Late Model experience will be more than happy to give him all the help he needs to be successful. I think he’ll surprise a lot of people and show why he’s one of the most talented guys in the world.”

The Gillette Fusion ProGlide Prelude to the Dream is headlined by the Gillette Young Guns: Clint Bowyer, Kasey Kahne, Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, Carl Edwards and Joey Logano. All will join two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Stewart and many others, including fellow Sprint Cup champions Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Matt Kenseth, Bobby Labonte and Bill Elliott. All will pilot 2,300-pound dirt Late Model stock cars capable of putting out more than 800 horsepower.

“To have Travis Pastrana and Ricky Carmichael competing in the Prelude is a huge boost for the event,” Stewart added. “They are two of all-time greats in extreme sports and motocross and they both have very large and very loyal fan bases. We’d love to have their fans tune into HBO Pay-Per-View to see how Ricky and Travis handle the high-banks at Eldora, and also help us raise money for four great children’s hospitals.”

And beyond the new charity element, this year’s Gillette Fusion ProGlide Prelude to the Dream will be a team event. There will still be an individual race winner, but there will now be a race within the race, with the field broken up into four teams, each representing a children’s hospital:

• Team Riley: Bowyer (captain), Ryan Newman, J. Gordon, A.J. Allmendinger, Kenny Wallace and Ron Capps.

• Team Cincinnati: Kahne (captain), Logano, Stewart, Bobby Labonte, Bill Elliott and Cruz Pedregon.

• Team Levine: Busch (captain), Johnson, Kenseth, David Reutimann, Dave Blaney, Marcos Ambrose and Pastrana.

• Team St. Jude: Hamlin (captain), Edwards, Ken Schrader, Aric Almirola, Carmichael and Ray Evernham.

Each hospital will receive a donation, with the payout breakdown as follows:

• Winning team receives 45 percent of net money raised.

• Second-place team receives 25 percent of net money raised.

• Third- and fourth-place teams each receive 15 percent of net money raised.

The lowest team score wins, and only the top-five drivers from each team will be scored. For example, if Team Riley has finishes of first, fourth, seventh, 11th and 18th, respectively, from its top-five drivers, its score will be 41. In the event of a tie, the sixth driver will be scored.

Drivers from all types of disciplines, some with lots of dirt track experience and others with hardly any, will participate in hot laps, qualifying, heat races and a 30-lap feature, all of which will be televised live on HBO Pay-Per-View.

With no points and no pressure, the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Prelude to the Dream is a throwback race, allowing drivers to step back in time and compete for the reasons they all went racing in the first place – pride and a trophy. And they’ll do it on the same surface that racing legends like A.J. Foyt and Mario Andretti competed on throughout the last 56 years.

The live, commercial-free broadcast will begin at 7 p.m. EDT (4 p.m. PDT) with an immediate replay. HBO Pay-Per-View’s racing telecast has a suggested retail price of $24.95 and is available to more than 71 million pay-per-view homes. HBO Pay-Per-View is the leading supplier of event programming in the pay-per-view industry. Ordering information and up-to-the minute racing information is available at either www.PreludeToTheDream.org or www.HBO.com.

For those who want to see the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Prelude to the Dream in person, tickets are available online at www.EldoraSpeedway.com or by calling the track office (937) 338-3815. Act fast – the race has sold out in each of its five previous years.

Complete event information can be found in the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Prelude to the Dream online media kit at www.TrueSpeedMedia.com.

1 member likes this post: JEFFSTOY
6/2/10, 1:55 PM   #3
Seadog

Yeah, I saw that too. The Kanaan deal was from a post I read over at TF that had no link to confirm it.

6/2/10, 3:39 PM   #4

Indy car should buy TK a seat, or do what ever they can to get him in. Indy needs to get involved in things like this to give back to the community. Will he do bad, probablly, but who cares. He knows how to relate with the fans. Give him the mic, and everyone in the place will be rolling. If he does not want to drive, get him to the show, give him a mic.

1 member likes this post: Danny Burton
6/2/10, 11:02 PM   #5
rj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
Indy car should buy TK a seat, or do what ever they can to get him in. Indy needs to get involved in things like this to give back to the community. Will he do bad, probablly, but who cares. He knows how to relate with the fans. Give him the mic, and everyone in the place will be rolling. If he does not want to drive, get him to the show, give him a mic.
Was at the big race Sunday. When Kanaan took 2nd place late the crowd where I was cheered in a big way, like "Danica taking the lead in '05" big way. I think him wrecking 2 cars in qualifying and starting dead last made him more popular with fans. All the same I think everyone respects him as a pure racer that didn't come from money. If he had won it'd've been a popular victory.

Would love to see Kanaan in Stewart's race. But I did a quick google search and this thread was the first found item.

6/4/10, 12:03 PM   #6
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

I keep reading on Twitter (for what it's worth) that Kanaan is going to run the Prelude

6/4/10, 12:06 PM   #7
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexonephoto View Post
I keep reading on Twitter (for what it's worth) that Kanaan is going to run the Prelude
Yeah, Andretti Autosport posted that he will run. Also, apparently Dario and his team are testing at Watkins Glen during the day of the race, but wants to be there at Eldora. Hopefully he can do it.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Here's the link to the story of Kanaan running:

http://andrettiautosport.com/News_Ju...ws_June_4_2010

6/4/10, 12:21 PM   #8
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Yeah, Andretti Autosport posted that he will run. Also, apparently Dario and his team are testing at Watkins Glen during the day of the race, but wants to be there at Eldora. Hopefully he can do it.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Here's the link to the story of Kanaan running:

http://andrettiautosport.com/News_Ju...ws_June_4_2010
Thanks, nobody posted a good source. I'd say the team site is a good one!

6/4/10, 1:00 PM   #9
Seadog

Kanaan has worked (not bought) his way to the top. He came from a poor family and his father died when Tony was only 13 years old. He went to work at that time to earn money to feed his family and swept floors in a karting shop just to be near racing and to get his start.

I have respect for a guy like this and with him now running a dirt late model at Eldora, my respect for him has gone up even higher.

6/4/10, 2:31 PM   #10
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
Read a post from somebody at TF that Kanaan was running the Prelude. Anybody know about this or how it came to be?
Hi Gregg,

I was watching Cup practice from Pocono awhile ago on the Speed channel, and they were talking about the prelude, and how cool it was gonna be to see Tony Kanaan there. Hope Dario accepts also, good charities involved.

David.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT - IndyCar's Tony Kanaan in the Prelude?