Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg thought
7/12/22, 11:13 AM   #11
Re: Lawrenceburg thought
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio View Post
Speaking from experience out west, the last thing you want to do is add non wing 360s.

Scott, May I ask why? I mean I[m a full proponent of getting rid of the overlapping classes. But I see 410 racing on it's death bed.

We are at a point we're going to have to have motors that last two or three years. The idea model is like USAC is doing and have a D2 and 360 class and then They plug in a Toyota or 410.

But the facts are while those classes grow, Less are moving up than leaving. and you actually have a few moving to the less expensive class, then you get the track or two willing to put on the 5-10k 360 race, further removing incentive to move up
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/12/22 at 11:14 AM.

7/12/22, 11:29 AM   #12
TBarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDuBois View Post
The truth is that most people who watch the sprint cars like the non-wing sprints the best. Back in the day when WoO started watching winged sprint cars race was something new and good for that time in sprint car racing. But I think watching winged sprint cars race is not as popular as it once was. I don't hear much about the WoO like I used to hear, I also think their car count is less. For the people who watch sprint car racing, watching maybe one or two shows of winged sprint cars is enough as it is mostly the same winners with not many new winged sprint car racers. For non-winged sprint cars racing there is always new racers which is what people want to see.
You forgot the blue font.

7/12/22, 11:36 AM   #13
cmiracingvids

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR>LR=LTO View Post
It’s about money. As much I hate to agree with Chuck nug he’s exactly right. Now if they wanted to pay $2500 for a weekly show and had the bankroll to give it time to catch on, it would work. I’d buy wings for my cars and race there. But the motor maintenance and fuel consumption and tire wear are too costly to race for $1400
I was going to include that in my initial post. The burg would have to pay $2,500 to win and probably 300 to start. But I think winged cars are super fast at lawrenceburg and provide something different in indiana. I went to that WoO show at Kokomo a few years back and it was elbow to elbow packed house. And they put on a great show.
Charles mentioned Circle City, as I knew someone would, but they tried races on Thursday nights, and that track is just not very good for winged 410s. I think circle city is the perfect midget track. And I think they’re missing out on working with Montpelier to run D2 midgets every other week. But that’s just my opinion as well. Trust me, I wish I had boat loads of money, I’d buy every track and run it how I want…obviously I don’t though. So I just ask my friends on a racing forum if they agree or not. That’s what makes this place fun.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
7/12/22, 11:37 AM   #14
DRFan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDuBois View Post
The truth is that most people who watch the sprint cars like the non-wing sprints the best. Back in the day when WoO started watching winged sprint cars race was something new and good for that time in sprint car racing. But I think watching winged sprint cars race is not as popular as it once was. I don't hear much about the WoO like I used to hear, I also think their car count is less. For the people who watch sprint car racing, watching maybe one or two shows of winged sprint cars is enough as it is mostly the same winners with not many new winged sprint car racers. For non-winged sprint cars racing there is always new racers which is what people want to see.
On what earth are you seeing that people like non wing sprint cars more than winged cars? Did you see the attendance at Husets this past weekend? Im not trying to be an ass but i think its time us non winged guys come to reality and face the fact that non winged sprint cars are just not as popular as they used to be.

2 members like this post: Big Mike 7, TommyTipover
7/12/22, 11:38 AM   #15
Fumanchu

Have you see what wing 410 racing did to CA ?

Don't do it stay true to traditional 410 sprint car form.

I need somewhere to travel and see great racing haha.

Also the CA guys that don't want to run wing's need somewhere to move

1 member likes this post: cornerthree
7/12/22, 2:01 PM   #16
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFan87 View Post
On what earth are you seeing that people like non wing sprint cars more than winged cars? Did you see the attendance at Husets this past weekend? Im not trying to be an ass but i think its time us non winged guys come to reality and face the fact that non winged sprint cars are just not as popular as they used to be.
Sad but true...
Although in Pa. there's a slight upsurge of interest in wingless. People get bored with wings too, & USAC East is doing OK...not nearly as well as wings, tho...
Last edited by revjimk; 7/12/22 at 2:03 PM.

7/12/22, 2:10 PM   #17
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids View Post
I was going to include that in my initial post. The burg would have to pay $2,500 to win and probably 300 to start. But I think winged cars are super fast at lawrenceburg and provide something different in indiana. I went to that WoO show at Kokomo a few years back and it was elbow to elbow packed house. And they put on a great show.
Charles mentioned Circle City, as I knew someone would, but they tried races on Thursday nights, and that track is just not very good for winged 410s. I think circle city is the perfect midget track. And I think they’re missing out on working with Montpelier to run D2 midgets every other week. But that’s just my opinion as well. Trust me, I wish I had boat loads of money, I’d buy every track and run it how I want…obviously I don’t though. So I just ask my friends on a racing forum if they agree or not. That’s what makes this place fun.
If you're gonna pay $2500 to win and $300 to start, then there's no need to move from sprints to winged sprints.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, erich45
7/12/22, 2:59 PM   #18
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Scott, May I ask why? I mean I[m a full proponent of getting rid of the overlapping classes. But I see 410 racing on it's death bed.

We are at a point we're going to have to have motors that last two or three years. The idea model is like USAC is doing and have a D2 and 360 class and then They plug in a Toyota or 410.

But the facts are while those classes grow, Less are moving up than leaving. and you actually have a few moving to the less expensive class, then you get the track or two willing to put on the 5-10k 360 race, further removing incentive to move up

Well despite half of this being apples and oranges Menusha.
What's it got to do in a Lawrenceburg thread?

1 member likes this post: progressive22
7/12/22, 3:11 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Well despite half of this being apples and oranges Menusha.
What's it got to do in a Lawrenceburg thread?

Because I mentioned 360 as a option and he responded that you don't want to do that.

7/12/22, 3:13 PM   #20
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
If you're gonna pay $2500 to win and $300 to start, then there's no need to move from sprints to winged sprints.

Thats probably the option we're looking for. Make the gate 25 adults, free for kids and pay well in top ten.
I say that for kids as they'll eat the concession stand dry but it's better than not having them there at all. Future fans of the sport and racers.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/12/22 at 3:14 PM.

4 members like this post: addictedtodirt, erich45, Hustlin-Hoosier, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg thought