IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg thought
7/12/22, 6:13 PM   #21
Re: Lawrenceburg thought
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio View Post
Speaking from experience out west, the last thing you want to do is add non wing 360s.
I couldn't agree more. Sprints are divided up enough

4 members like this post: captrat, chrismattlin, oppweld, Speedwrench
7/12/22, 6:34 PM   #22
cmiracingvids

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
If you're gonna pay $2500 to win and $300 to start, then there's no need to move from sprints to winged sprints.
I was saying this would have to be the minimum payout for a winged show. We’ve already seen it over and over again that big paying shows in Indiana never seem to have more cars.
And before anyone tries to correct me about Putnamville having 50+ cars, that was a two day show and the ONLY show in the state on Friday. Plus it was two sanctioning bodies.
Meanwhile, at Rockcrest earlier in the year, BOSS had 14 cars for $3,000 to win and $300 to start.
Terre Haute had 17 for $3,000 to win.

Last weekend:
Paragon had 16 for $2,000 to win Putnamville had 27 for $1,400 to win.

So more money doesn’t mean more cars. In fact, it seems to be the opposite.

2 members like this post: oppweld, TQ29m
7/12/22, 11:06 PM   #23
Scott Daloisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Scott, May I ask why? I mean I[m a full proponent of getting rid of the overlapping classes. But I see 410 racing on it's death bed.

We are at a point we're going to have to have motors that last two or three years. The idea model is like USAC is doing and have a D2 and 360 class and then They plug in a Toyota or 410.

But the facts are while those classes grow, Less are moving up than leaving. and you actually have a few moving to the less expensive class, then you get the track or two willing to put on the 5-10k 360 race, further removing incentive to move up
Charles, I am nothing against a low cost entry level class, but 360s are anything but that anymore. The days of buying a $%#@ box 360 and running it forever are long gone. Top of the line 360s are not much cheaper than a 410 anymore and are not much cheaper to maintain. You will get some people who would normally be running for 410s dropping down. And many new drivers who would have gotten into a 410in bygone days, now may opt for easier competition in a 360.

Not sure how many years ago USAC introduced the West Coast 360 class out here, but I told an older well-known gentleman in racing, who was much wiser than me, that it would be a feeder series for USAC/CRA. He laughed at me and told me it would do anything but help. I disagreed, but if he was still here, I would now tell him he was 100% right.

A look at the top 10 in USAC/CRA points today. At most - and I am not 100% sure of them - two raced the West Coast Series before graduating to USAC/CRA.

Do not get me wrong, the racing is good and there are some very good drivers in the West Coast Series. I would prefer seeing them run 410 so we could have larger car counts. But, to each their own. For those who prefer to run 360s or 410s, more power to them on their choices.

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, ISF, jonboat15, TNRustler
7/12/22, 11:20 PM   #24
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio View Post
Charles, I am nothing against a low cost entry level class, but 360s are anything but that anymore. The days of buying a $%#@ box 360 and running it forever are long gone. Top of the line 360s are not much cheaper than a 410 anymore and are not much cheaper to maintain. You will get some people who would normally be running for 410s dropping down. And many new drivers who would have gotten into a 410in bygone days, now may opt for easier competition in a 360.

Not sure how many years ago USAC introduced the West Coast 360 class out here, but I told an older well-known gentleman in racing, who was much wiser than me, that it would be a feeder series for USAC/CRA. He laughed at me and told me it would do anything but help. I disagreed, but if he was still here, I would now tell him he was 100% right.

A look at the top 10 in USAC/CRA points today. At most - and I am not 100% sure of them - two raced the West Coast Series before graduating to USAC/CRA.

Do not get me wrong, the racing is good and there are some very good drivers in the West Coast Series. I would prefer seeing them run 410 so we could have larger car counts. But, to each their own. For those who prefer to run 360s or 410s, more power to them on their choices.
Thanks Scott

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
7/12/22, 11:31 PM   #25
sjracer26

Race Count Last Year: 18

I've been trying for three years to book a Racesaver race at Lawrenceburg. It's a tough track to break into for sure. I know this forum thinks of 305s as the red headed step child but I really think we have a place around here. We tested at the Burg with my car a few years ago and we were hauling ass around there.

Car counts this year are a little down but steady even with the economy being what it is.

We race just about everywhere else and almost always put on really good shows. We race at a lot more tracks than just Spiker tracks.
Last edited by sjracer26; 7/12/22 at 11:54 PM.

7/13/22, 6:13 AM   #26
cmiracingvids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer26 View Post
I've been trying for three years to book a Racesaver race at Lawrenceburg. It's a tough track to break into for sure. I know this forum thinks of 305s as the red headed step child but I really think we have a place around here. We tested at the Burg with my car a few years ago and we were hauling ass around there.

Car counts this year are a little down but steady even with the economy being what it is.

We race just about everywhere else and almost always put on really good shows. We race at a lot more tracks than just Spiker tracks.
Racesavers would be fine at the burg as well. But not as a headliner class.
And at Circle City the racesavers put on a better race than the 410s.

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, sjracer26
7/13/22, 6:38 AM   #27
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer26 View Post

THey had one once, Put up a thousand to win. Both Bloomington and Atomic were off. I think ten cars showed. That;s just my memory of it.

1 member likes this post: sjracer26
7/13/22, 9:47 AM   #28
JakeCroxton

$20 isn't the price point for a weekly show...let alone $25...you would get folks that might be curious in the beginning...but you show me a weekly track that charges $25 grandstands every week every show from April to September and I'll show you a closed race track by mid-July...

2 members like this post: Big Mike 7, BrentTFunk
7/13/22, 11:38 AM   #29
deadhorse30

No track that runs winged 410's weekly charges $20-$25 to get in, why would The Burg?

Look the facts are non wing do not draw outside of Indiana. I went to Friday WoO -Saturday USAC show at Eldora once. The place had half the fans on Saturday. Once the WoO left so did the fans. I couldn't believe the difference in the crowd. That's the truth.

As far as 360's go, screw em. I think 360's are the worst thing to happen to sprint cars in a long time. All it did was create more division with two classes that are far to similar. If you want an entry level sprint class 305's have proven a better option.

1 member likes this post: sjracer26
7/13/22, 11:57 AM   #30
TQ29m

Or steel blocks!
Or D2 midgets, how about that, Jim Jones?
Last edited by TQ29m; 7/13/22 at 11:59 AM.

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg thought