IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Z-man (Offline)
  #11 3/25/08 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE:
Not Talking About The Fairgrounds! The Old Greenville Speedway!!!!
This one? http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...envilleMS.html Before my time.
SteveE (Offline)
  #12 3/25/08 10:53 PM
Killed was a female employee also, I believe.
spade (Offline)
  #13 3/26/08 6:33 AM
For what it's worth I can recall being there for a sprint race in 1952 I think. Track was oily and we were black by the time the day was over. We stood along the fence outside turn one. Hinnershitz (sp?) I think won that day but don't hold me to that. The track is still there but barely recognizable as such. Owned at one time by the Schultz family and may still be. I think they are the same family who opened the Drive-in theater in front of the track along Eidson Road. Bill Booker a local newspaper writer and historian did some history on the track in The Greenville Daily advocate a few years back and had a huge library of information about the track. I also believe the Garst Museum has a lot of info and had Spike Iddings "Iddings Auto Parts Special" on display as well. Not sure if Mr. Booker is still living!?!? as I moved away from Darke County in 1985. Too many laps under the flagman for this guy to remember with any accuracy. I know as a twelve year old kid I was fascinated by that trip! Dave
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #14 3/26/08 7:46 AM
Yes ThatS It! I Seen Races There And Remember Going To One Of The Last Csra Big Car Races There Is Was So Dusty We Didn't Go In!
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #15 3/26/08 9:31 AM
There was a feature article on Greenville Speedway a few years back in either Open Wheel or Sprint and Midget Mag. I have it here somewhere. The article had some pics and a lot of info.

Don Moore
spade (Offline)
  #16 3/26/08 2:31 PM
Don, you are correct. I'll have to dig out my Open Wheel collection and look it up. And SteveE is also correct. There was a young lady shot at the Drive-in theater ticket booth several years ago. Mystery was never solved as to whether it was simply an accidental discharge from somewhere, drive-by shooting or what. Very strange circumstances on that one.
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #17 3/26/08 3:26 PM
Steve Was Talking Bout When Charley Engle Was Shot And Killed In Dayton
SteveE (Offline)
  #18 3/26/08 3:46 PM
You remember all those photos Charlie had, SuperDuke ? Sure would like to know where they went. They used to adorn his establishments.
Dwight Clock (Offline)
  #19 3/26/08 4:10 PM
From Allan Brown's "The History of America's Speedways - Past & Present" - Greenville Motor Speedway - 1/2 mile dirt oval. First race (7/4/1930) was a CSRA Big Car race. The track ran until 1942, closed for the war, reopened on 8/3/1947. It was closed after the 1948 season until 6/17/51. It then ran only through 1952 before closing for good. The drive in was built on the site near the track entrance shortly after WWII.
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #20 3/26/08 4:17 PM
Yes I Think Shorty Miller Got Them?