IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Price of mini sprints
2/16/15, 8:44 PM   #1
Price of mini sprints
sms50

HI,
I just had to start a post in hopes that it may sometime change racers as well as chassis builders and parts distributors. I have been racer for 15 plus years and by far in that time my favorite car i ever raced was a mini sprint. But something happen in the last 5 or 6 years, the PRICE has Sky rocketed to the moon for these cars and as well as the parts that go on it.. Why you ask, I tell you the racers and the chassis builders .. People this was supposed to be affordable sport for people that wanted the feeling of running a sprint car but could not afford the a full size sprint.. Ok I am not calling anybody out or anything and i will not point a finger, but just using as a example there is a 2012 car on here that is a roller for 10,000. am I the only one that see something wrong with this.. HELLO... I CAN BUY A RACE READY 305 RACESAVER OR EVEN A RACE READY SPORT MOD FOR THIS.. There is a guy in southern ohio trying to bring the lighting mini sprints back by making it affordable and do able. This wat I am talking about lets help the little people so they can race to...

2/16/15, 8:57 PM   #2
Bradleyracing86

The parts, engines, and materials have sky rocketed, I can tell you for a fact not all of us are making much money selling parts.

2/16/15, 9:08 PM   #3
jyoung8j

If has wheels or heels it ain't cheap!!! Bottom line.. Im going to race the southern ohio series this year and I have to say I have a chunk of change in my setup.. but all about what u want.. sure u can find a car for 3500 but is it going to b up to date and compete with 2012 or above?? Probably not..

2/16/15, 9:54 PM   #4
Re: Price of mini sprints
SteveB31

I disagree. Their are many $7000-10000 race ready GOOD cars for sale, and the TOP OF THE LINE 2 year old Hench with a fresh ZX12 for $14000 OBO. All ready to race. These are GOOD CARS. The $10000 roller is what it is. Their are many affordable cars for sale and they are still the only car I know of, that is bad fast, where you can replace an engine for under $3000. Cant do that in a 305 .

2/16/15, 10:21 PM   #5
wardracing8

there are many cars out there that are race ready for under 8000 dollars but u have to keep in mind if u buy a car for around 5 to 6 grand how many races are on the motor, is it wore out, there is another 1500 to 2800 for a motor. Then look at condition of the car, does it need new bearings or axles and how is the body and wings. Bottom line is if u want a clean new looking car it's gonna cost more. I for one look at condition of car and motor. I would rather buy a roller then buy my own motor so I know what I have. Just my opinion

2/16/15, 10:41 PM   #6
STUMPS88

I run a 1994 Bailey w/a stock 06 gsxr 1000 (motor I paid 800.00 w/165lbs compression), no fancy gas shocks, but just did my homework in other areas and she still wins...

Personally I think the people who spend tall coin on motors and fancy cars are fools..Then again if I sh#ted cash id be that fool to..
Attached Images
hpqscan0002.jpg (696.9 KB, 172 views)
Last edited by STUMPS88; 2/16/15 at 10:44 PM. Reason: more

2/16/15, 11:24 PM   #7
97juicedgmc

sms50 i feel your pain on certain subjects, new parts are a little crazy especially when you pick it apart, for example speedway sells alot of parts so its an easy comparison, but a 2" 44" 4130 midget front axle is $239 yet a sprint car 2 1/2" 4130 50 or 52" sprint car axle is $189 both like a "speedway"or M&W brand....... now im no rocket scientist but wouldnt a 2 1/2" 4130 piece of tubing 6-8" longer be more money then a 2" piece only 44" long ???? i think its just the market theres not much of a market for these type cars so for companies to make and produce parts only to sell 1/3 of what they do for sprint car stuff they have to get a good chunk of change for it for it to be worth while..... also engines a becoming few and far between everyone want motors that are tried and true like 07-08 gsxr 1000's well their 7-8 year old engines that people have been abusing since day one of production there still out there but are few and far between if you find one you'll pay for it newer stuff alot of people dont want to mess with or just arent proven any good...... same thing happened with hot rodding used to be junkyard $300 350's real cheap pull them apart and build it now its LS swapped cars and integrated newer electronics have $3,000 in motor and harnesses etc but its just easier to get a hold of, junk yard ford 9" rear ends but try to find one now most yards around here dont keep anything older then 10-15 years old anymore..... you want a 9" its just easier to call currie or strange etc and get a fabricated 9" housing for $12-1800 rather then pull your hair out looking for one and when you do its $5-700 used .....

2/17/15, 9:27 AM   #8
Leohr46

I use to run a mini sprint before moving on to a sprint car. I also see a big jump in the cost of cars. I just hope you guys don't follow the same path as the mod's and Late models have. I have never owned either one of these cars. But friends with several that do. The most common story is the sky rocketing price of them.
Just my 2 cents worth. Like I said I no longer have a dog in this fight.

2/19/15, 8:41 AM   #9
wonracer

I believe what you are seeing is the raised cost of racing across the board, The younger generation has no idea of what it was like to find junk yard parts and how to build a part to make it work for a less amount of money. My family has been racing since 1946 and I have never seen so many pre-madona racers running around. is there any thing wrong with that .. no ... but if you want to play your going to have to pay anymore. Im guilty as charged too as I sink a fare amount of money into my sons racing indevors. Its just the next generation of racers.

2/20/15, 4:30 PM   #10
aussie_rob

it costs a bucket load in Australia aswell since we don't really have proper mini sprint/lightning sprint chassis builders. everyone is importing henchcrafts and is almost like a 1 make series in some states. they buy them and import them for around 10-12g win the odd race and try to resell them for 18-20g. if you don't have a henchcraft you havnt got a chance at winning a winged race here. prize money well that wouldn't even cover the running costs for a meeting. the Australian title pays around $1500 to win. chain drive stuff is hard to come buy unless you use henchcraft parts. ive got a bailey but to hard to find off the shelf gear for it over here so ive just picked up a stealth midget chassis and converted it to chain drive and use all off the shelf bolt on parts.
Last edited by aussie_rob; 2/20/15 at 4:35 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Price of mini sprints