IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Track photographers finances
10/2/19, 9:09 PM   #1
Track photographers finances
Jonr

So, I can somewhat understand how a track photographer could make money on a local event. I know that when I drove my street stock car, I would always buy a couple of the better action shots from him. Have enough drivers/wives/parents/fans do this every night and I could see the photographers making enough to continue to do this.

However, I don't understand how they make money on the traveling series. Who is their target audience? Are they trying to get a picture published and what does that pay?

Or am I completely missing how they make their money?

2 members like this post: nathans1012, tirespinner
10/2/19, 10:02 PM   #2
interpreter66

Most do other types of photography to pay the bills ,they just love the sport.

4 members like this post: davidm, erich45, nathans1012, tirespinner
10/2/19, 11:53 PM   #3
Re: Track photographers finances
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I've stopped doing it for the most part. It's nothing but a big headache. Fight with tracks for access and credentials all the time or pay $30 to $35 a night for a pit pass and still that's not enough. I could have owned a micro sprint for what I invested in camera gear. At least I would have gotten a little money back at the end of the night.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, spicoli, Sprint8586, tirespinner
10/3/19, 9:15 PM   #4
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I've stopped doing it for the most part. It's nothing but a big headache. Fight with tracks for access and credentials all the time or pay $30 to $35 a night for a pit pass and still that's not enough. I could have owned a micro sprint for what I invested in camera gear. At least I would have gotten a little money back at the end of the night.
David I for one have sure missed your beautiful pics buddy and you coming to Indiana

10/4/19, 7:39 AM   #5
randy j

Before I stopped a few years back due to life getting in the way, I always shot because of the love of it and getting published. The pay for published images was ok, kept me going down the road but my day job paid the bills. I will say, it was a different time and a lot of fun. Times change

10/4/19, 11:12 AM   #6
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
David I for one have sure missed your beautiful pics buddy and you coming to Indiana
Thanks Jim!

With the Kid off to College now, I'm 95% sure I'll be back out to Indiana next summer. It's been to darn long!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Track photographers finances