IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Car World Championship CANCELLED
6/4/19, 9:52 AM   #1
Sprint Car World Championship CANCELLED
WingedFan2019

Race Count This Year: 9
Race Count Last Year: 49

Lot's of Angry drivers/Fans as Mansfield announced they will NOT be rescheduling the event. Will not be going back to Mansfield anytime soon, Drove 385 miles each way to get rained out after 15min of rain on Thursday and cancelled all together on Saturday. Im sure the drivers are feeling the same thing.

6/4/19, 10:30 AM   #2
Re: Sprint Car World Championship CANCELLED
BillV99

Funny, what are you angry about with the track, you blame the track because it rained?? They got a lot of rain Thursday and would of pushed the racing past curfew after running the track in, and felt they didn't want to do that on the first night. If anything, they would risk going over curfew later in the weekend. Then Saturday, no way they could run with that rain. As far as running on Sunday, most promoters would take a bath doing that. You expect them to risk losing a lot of money?

Again, it's mother nature, and it's a business.

6/4/19, 1:01 PM   #3
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV99 View Post
Funny, what are you angry about with the track, you blame the track because it rained?? They got a lot of rain Thursday and would of pushed the racing past curfew after running the track in, and felt they didn't want to do that on the first night. If anything, they would risk going over curfew later in the weekend. Then Saturday, no way they could run with that rain. As far as running on Sunday, most promoters would take a bath doing that. You expect them to risk losing a lot of money?

Again, it's mother nature, and it's a business.
This makes too much logical sense, HOWEVER; if I am taking time to go to a big event, taking vacation etc. I am not going to chance going to a place that has shown inability to be flexible because of curfew or lack of equipment to work the track into shape even after lots of rain to a point (think Eldora.)

Yes, they got dealt a bad hand, but they have shown a weakness not of their own making and it makes it harder to justify going to Mansfield instead of the Kings Royal, or Ohio Speedweek, or Pa Speedweek, or Knoxville or take your pick of big events.
Last edited by brsteg; 6/4/19 at 4:09 PM.

1 member likes this post: trackprep
6/4/19, 2:16 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

They are offering refunds for the saturday portion, Like everything else north of the ohio river, they've had not above average rainfall but way above.

Curfew? did't have no curfew at the great lakes nationals two years ago with features pushing off at 2am

6/4/19, 2:53 PM   #5
TQ29m

So, you run it, then you can do however you see fit.

6/4/19, 4:07 PM   #6
Andrew S. Quinn

Planning a big trip and then having a rainout is painful. Years ago I was at the Grand Annual Classic in Warrnambool Australia,and it rained out,and I couldnt stay for the make up,which they did the next day. Its a lot further trip to get to Warrnambool from Norway, Maine,than 385 miles, and quite a bit more expensive,but still painful to have to miss after looking forward to it for so long. Like so many other rainouts over the years I just sucked it up to bad luck and moved on with life. I dont think I've ever said "I'm never going there again" over the weather etc.

You must be new to the racing game........

6/4/19, 10:07 PM   #7
Jonr

It is funny that one poster used Knoxville as a comparison. I have been there during Nationals to have one of the early nights get rained out. They pushed the entire program a day and Friday's show was moved to Saturday afternoon. I was surprised when several of my friends passed on the Saturday afternoon show even though they had paid tickets. I soon found out that even the great Knoxville raceway couldn't make day racing in August worth watching...…

As has been said numerous times, nobody wins when there is a rainout. Nobody wins when a show is cancelled. Mansfield was paying a large sum of money to win. They need a large sum of money to come in to cover expenses. I am sure that they could not find a solution that was going to allow them to do both, and hence they cancelled the show.

2 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, Ken Bonnema
6/4/19, 10:16 PM   #8
dsc1600

First off, they had no plan b when it rained. Especially this year, the thought should have occurred to them that it might rain.

Second, this is not unprecedented. Tracks have at times been forced to cancel entire race weekends due to rain and come back with a reduced purse one day show. If they would have cut the purse to 25k to win and run it the day before Ohio Speedweeks started I bet they would have had a good crowd and most if not all of the field back.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Car World Championship CANCELLED