IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Concordia Cancelled?
7/11/19, 8:43 PM   #11
Re: Concordia Cancelled?
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Some of the historians will need to help me, but during the 2008 Indiana Midget week an event was cancelled for safety concerns once the drivers/fans arrived at the track. It has a similar feel to this event. I remember that it was a big topic on this forum (and the reason that I found this forum)

It brought up the concept of how much pre-work does USAC do before they will sanction a race. Does an official have to inspect the track before being placed on the schedule for the first time? If they are inspected before the race is scheduled, how can they then be cancelled on the day of the show. As there was last time, there are a lot of rumors about which drivers complained and which drivers said they wouldn't race. It seems that if the track is vetted properly that this would never happen.
Union County Speedway in Liberty, IN. That was a crazy scene that day, in the aftermath of the decision to cancel.

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/11/19 at 8:59 PM.

5 members like this post: jdull99, Jim Gardner, Jonr, sjracer26, tirespinner
7/11/19, 8:49 PM   #12
Vertigo

Quote:
Some of the historians will need to help me, but during the 2008 Indiana Midget week an event was cancelled for safety concerns once the drivers/fans arrived at the track. It has a similar feel to this event. I remember that it was a big topic on this forum (and the reason that I found this forum)

It brought up the concept of how much pre-work does USAC do before they will sanction a race. Does an official have to inspect the track before being placed on the schedule for the first time? If they are inspected before the race is scheduled, how can they then be cancelled on the day of the show. As there was last time, there are a lot of rumors about which drivers complained and which drivers said they wouldn't race. It seems that if the track is vetted properly that this would never happen.

Union County Speedway. Rebar sticking up from the retaining wall I think.

3 members like this post: Jonr, sjracer26, tirespinner
7/11/19, 9:00 PM   #13
flagboy55

Not sure I’ve done this correctly but a pretty reliable source posted this picture as a safety concern
Attached Images
09D66DD3-9929-4764-B59D-972243C4ADB2.jpg (129.9 KB, 449 views)

3 members like this post: bmemmer, chrismattlin, tirespinner
7/11/19, 9:23 PM   #14
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Not sure I’ve done this correctly but a pretty reliable source posted this picture as a safety concern
Did they not see this safety concern yesterday?

5 members like this post: Bill Angel, billw, jdull99, PIT CART, tirespinner
7/11/19, 9:31 PM   #15
Kansasdirtfan

Quote:
I agree with you, Jonr. One would think USAC had to have inspected the track and facilities BEFORE it was ever placed on the schedule. I'm sure we'll never hear the full story, but it does leave a bad taste, especially for those who travelled some distance to attend.

8 members like this post: billw, chrismattlin, Hotrod, huskermudd, ISF, rachasin, skids59, tirespinner
7/11/19, 9:41 PM   #16
Jonr

Quote:
OK that is pretty significant, but once again couldn't that get vetted before the track is put on the schedule.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, Kansasdirtfan, tirespinner
7/11/19, 9:41 PM   #17
KMS2683

So the race got switched from Beloit to Concordia a couple months ago. Hours before race time, safety concerns cancel the show. Completely and entirely the fault of the sanction body for not doing due diligence. My understanding is USAC even required the track to install a timing loop. Guess should have had Keith check out the track before today!!!!!!
Last edited by KMS2683; 7/11/19 at 9:42 PM.

5 members like this post: billw, Hotrod, jdull99, Joekocjan, tirespinner
7/11/19, 9:43 PM   #18
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
Think if I was in the area I might head towards Power I events ?
You mean the group that took their ball home and started their own race on Sunday?

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, tirespinner
7/11/19, 9:46 PM   #19
KMS2683

Quote:
Funny, since on tuesday night people were ******** about no catch fences.

2 members like this post: jdull99, tirespinner
7/11/19, 9:48 PM   #20
nonwingkingofkalifornia

So the power line is to low??? Oops, no one wants to get impaled on those horizontal spikes sticking out. Who designed that catch fence?
Last edited by nonwingkingofkalifornia; 7/11/19 at 9:53 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Concordia Cancelled?