IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why cant we all get along??? POWRi and USAC
7/10/19, 10:04 PM   #1
Why cant we all get along??? POWRi and USAC
Jonr

Sunday was looking like a great day of racing in the heartland. Sweet Springs was going to have a dual sanctioned midget show with both POWRi and USAC scheduling the show. This co-sanction show happened last year and it was a great show.

However, that has all gone down the drain. In reading some tweets and Facebook pages, it looks like Sweet Springs dropped the POWRi sanction due to "rule variances" POWRi responded by booking a show on Sunday at Humboldt KS which is roughly two hours away from KC and three hours away from Sweet Springs.

As a midget fan, I am tired of these two groups pissing on each others shoes. It is just frustrating.

If anyone has more information, or knows more of the real story please let me know. All I know is from Twitter and Facebook.

7/11/19, 12:15 AM   #2
huskermudd

Talking to the guys from powri west they said they were dropped because of a engine rules package to make the racing better for their group

4 members like this post: KMS2683, nathans1012, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
7/11/19, 4:03 AM   #3
Re: Why cant we all get along??? POWRi and USAC
Ken Bonnema

The ******** of racing. This is a side that most fans don't see and don't understand. All they want is a good show and I don't blame them a bit. POWRI has recently allowed some older motors more cubic inches in an effort to somewhat level the playing field and apparently USAC (for some reason) is not ok with that. We (BCRA) did the same back in the early 2K's and USAC , while not thrilled about it allowed it for our co-sanction races. The 2 reasons were (1) They were short of cars and (2) were not worried about any of us beating them. During my time on the board, we spent around 1/2 of our meetings dealing with b.s. from them.

I know there are many USAC apologists on this board however I'm guessing that you have never had to deal with them behind the scenes. The result of all of this is the situation we have here the only losers are the fans and racers who had their plans changed because one group was not flexible.

Sadly Jonr the answer to your question is no.

6 members like this post: bighd0522, KMS2683, nathans1012, PIT CART, Speedwrench, tirespinner
7/11/19, 4:12 AM   #4
Sprint63122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bonnema View Post
The ******** of racing. This is a side that most fans don't see and don't understand. All they want is a good show and I don't blame them a bit. POWRI has recently allowed some older motors more cubic inches in an effort to somewhat level the playing field and apparently USAC (for some reason) is not ok with that. We (BCRA) did the same back in the early 2K's and USAC , while not thrilled about it allowed it for our co-sanction races. The 2 reasons were (1) They were short of cars and (2) were not worried about any of us beating them. During my time on the board, we spent around 1/2 of our meetings dealing with b.s. from them.

I know there are many USAC apologists on this board however I'm guessing that you have never had to deal with them behind the scenes. The result of all of this is the situation we have here the only losers are the fans and racers who had their plans changed because one group was not flexible.

Sadly Jonr the answer to your question is no.
Appreciate you posting this and you are correct there behind the scenes dealings and actions at the track or lack of explain why the struggles continue.

7/11/19, 7:00 AM   #5
oldfan49

This race has been scheduled since about January. It was advertised by all 3 as a co-santioned event since day 1. Suddenely 4 DAYS before the race after so many fans and racers had made plans,many from quite a distance powri pulls out and schedules a race against it just in a few hours. We begged for traditional open wheel racing in this part of the country for years and after a few years it seems a all we can do is shoot ourselves in the foot as we watch it die again

4 members like this post: Jonr, nathans1012, spicoli, tirespinner
7/11/19, 7:53 AM   #6
miledirt

This is slightly off topic - but for me, as a long time open wheel fan, I would love it if a sanctioning body (like Powri) would go to an engine package that would give the working man a chance. It used to be that way when Powri started. Now if a certain team shows up with their five cars and major $ backing from a large interntational company, basically the race is over. Usually one of those cars is going to win.

I'm not a real gear head but those that are would know how to make this work. Who cares if lap times go from 12.2 to 12.9. For instance, I go to little Belleville not because of the "names" that are there, nor because the lap times are near track record. I go because of the good racing. A more level playing field and car counts will go back up

Now this is NOTHING against the big boy teams. Let them and USAC do their thing. It's also nothing against the great young talent that drive for those big teams. It doesn't matter what you put Bell or Larson in, they are going to the front. So I love the big USAC shows and will definitely attend. But I for one would welcome a strong midwestern midget series that had some kind of engine limitation to balance the field. (Same goes for Powri WAR sprint series)
Last edited by miledirt; 7/11/19 at 7:55 AM.

7/11/19, 10:38 AM   #7
opnwhlmnd

Let POWRi take their ball and go home. Who cares? Sweet Springs will still be a fantastic show without them.

It sure won't change my plans to attend.

2 members like this post: duel, oldfan49
7/11/19, 11:44 AM   #8
quicktime3

It wasn’t co-sanctioned last year. It was just USAC.

1 member likes this post: duel
7/11/19, 4:27 PM   #9
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
This is slightly off topic - but for me, as a long time open wheel fan, I would love it if a sanctioning body (like Powri) would go to an engine package that would give the working man a chance. It used to be that way when Powri started. Now if a certain team shows up with their five cars and major $ backing from a large interntational company, basically the race is over. Usually one of those cars is going to win.

I'm not a real gear head but those that are would know how to make this work. Who cares if lap times go from 12.2 to 12.9. For instance, I go to little Belleville not because of the "names" that are there, nor because the lap times are near track record. I go because of the good racing. A more level playing field and car counts will go back up

Now this is NOTHING against the big boy teams. Let them and USAC do their thing. It's also nothing against the great young talent that drive for those big teams. It doesn't matter what you put Bell or Larson in, they are going to the front. So I love the big USAC shows and will definitely attend. But I for one would welcome a strong midwestern midget series that had some kind of engine limitation to balance the field. (Same goes for Powri WAR sprint series)
Agreed. I went to Belle Claire once for POWRi midgets & loved it (on recommendation of USAC loyalist BTFunk, by the way...) I wish USAC would just run with POWRi & make it non points... for the fans!

3 members like this post: luckybuc97, Pat O'Connor Fan, skids59
7/11/19, 4:28 PM   #10
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Sunday was looking like a great day of racing in the heartland. Sweet Springs was going to have a dual sanctioned midget show with both POWRi and USAC scheduling the show. This co-sanction show happened last year and it was a great show.

However, that has all gone down the drain. In reading some tweets and Facebook pages, it looks like Sweet Springs dropped the POWRi sanction due to "rule variances" POWRi responded by booking a show on Sunday at Humboldt KS which is roughly two hours away from KC and three hours away from Sweet Springs.

As a midget fan, I am tired of these two groups pissing on each others shoes. It is just frustrating.

If anyone has more information, or knows more of the real story please let me know. All I know is from Twitter and Facebook.
Bummer, I'd be pissed too...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why cant we all get along??? POWRi and USAC