IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
DAD (Offline)
  #121 8/14/12 9:47 AM
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids:
From what I heard 2 motors expired. And I was at Lawrenceburg a few weeks back and I think at least one motor expired there.

Posted via Mobile Device

OK, We have proven that 1000 cc winged midgets can perform on a big 1/2 mile dirt track like Eldora and not do too much damage to themselves or others.. Is that where they perform the best? From watching the video of the feature race at Eldora I would have to say it looked a little boring to the crowd. I know it wasn't boring to the drivers trying to keep their cars straight at 100+ mph on a dirt track with their eyeballs shaking out of their head. But like full midgets this track was really not designed for them to race on. One downfall of the USAC National midgets is trying to race on these larger tracks. Poweri is doing quite well racing on the smaller tracks. They have large car counts and fill the grand stands. Short track motors are cheaper to own and operate. And the richer racers can't out spend and overpower their competition as easily.

These are small cars and they work best on small tracks, "BULL RINGS" in particular. The best 1000cc race I have watched in a long time was at the Madison Indiana Fairgrounds last year on that little skinny race track designed for 3/4 midgets.

Terry Eaglin and Bill May presented the first 3/4 midget/1000cc midget showdown. Not a lot of cars showed up, maybe 14 or so, but those that did show up showed up to race. It looked kinda of like a Nascar show there was not anyone anywhere at that race track that was sitting down during the race. There was just too much action going on and I for one was shaking at the end of that thing, almost caused sensory overload, I was worn out and I know the drivers were too.

Eldora is a great place to get exposure but not the best place for us to race on. We seem to race best on 1/4 mile and smaller tracks. My favorite track would be Little Salem followed very closely by Brownstown Indiana and Montpelier Indiana. Three very different tracks but all of these track allow for close wheel to wheel racing and present our cars at their best. There are a lot of these smaller tracks around in Indiana and Ohio and we should be looking at them as possible race sites. All we have to do is convince the promoters that we have a good product and we can draw front gate fans and get the race ran and over with without a whole lot of yellow flag laps. You know it's kinda of neat to watch race cars race that close together and not run over one another all the time.

Honest Dad himself
2 Likes: slidewayz28
minisprinter (Offline)
  #122 8/14/12 1:04 PM
Or a series like powri has. Have 1000cc minisprints follow a traveling nonwinged sprint series.

Posted via Mobile Device
2 Likes: Copperhead, DAD
backitin
  #123 8/14/12 1:22 PM
Yep, sounds like a good time was had by most all. I agree that for something different a 1/2 mile track is cool, but the cars are better suited to a 1/4 mile type size. It seems minisprints have the potential to be one of the premiere classes, it has alot of interest still in Indy by the looks of it and with the newer oriental 1000's I dont think you can ask for a more racer friendly car. I'm still at a lose that they dont run them anywhere around here anymore. Our local track just had they're second annual small car classic, no minisprints on it again. I've talked to the promoter a few times about it and he is considering it for next season. Were going to get my car on the track this spring for him to check it out, he has never seen a minisprint run nonwinged and he thinks it's impossible or something. He knows me somewhat from my speedway racing, by reputation and I believe he wants to see if I just run my mouth or if i can get a car around the track.
scott bradley1x (Offline)
  #124 8/14/12 7:22 PM
My motor started going south with about 2 to go but it's only got about 68 hard nights "on gas from the co-op "on it since a rebuild still finished the race and saved the motor , must be that wonder oil I run!!!!!!!

Posted via Mobile Device
trickyricky (Offline)
  #125 8/14/12 7:51 PM
[quote=mscs20;296673]
Originally Posted by Bill May:
In the early 90's the amsa raced at the Richland Co. fairground 1 mile track in Olney, Il, Green to checker, a Kentucky driver won.

Bill,
The fairgrounds at Olney IL is a 1/2 mile, not a 1 mile. Big, narrow, and flat for sure. We ran a MSA sprint car race there once in 1977. Everytime there was a spin, it blocked the track and they would have to throw a red flag.
Congrats on a good car count and a safe race at the "Big E"

Steve

Posted via Mobile Device
Actually we raced there (Olney) in 93 and 94 with AMSA. Kevin Steptner won in 93 in (he was from Illinois) in a Bailey car, and we won in 94 (I'm from Cincinnati) in TrickyKen's Bailey car. It was a He** of a lot of fun going into turns 1 and 3 flat out. Oh, by the way there was a Horse track guard rail (1 little round rail), then 30 feet of grass, then a chain link fence, then a 4 - lane highway.. YEEHAW!!!

Ric Schwarm
Jim Gardner (Offline)
  #126 8/18/12 10:38 AM
It's certainly not JackSlash or LoudPedal quality but here is a short video of the action last weekend from the infield.

You Tube Video

Jim Gardner
3 Likes: Bill May, cmiracingvids, Jrp4554
big d (Offline)
  #127 8/18/12 12:57 PM
great job there guys for us drivers and racers that could not make the race,,,,love it,,thanks for posting ,,ill be watchin it several times just to get the fell of the great racin,,,,,,,,,thanks again don e td motorsports