IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Montpelier Set To Kickoff Midget Week Tuesday, May 31
5/29/16, 9:30 AM   #1
BrianBSU23

Montpelier Motor Speedway Set To Kickoff Indiana USAC Midget Week Tuesday, May 31

The Montpelier Motor Speedway will look to host its second National USAC event of the 2016 season this Tuesday Night, May 31st with the opening kickoff of the prestigious USAC Indiana Midget Week. The event will feature National USAC Midgets, Non-Wing Sprint Cars (Kokomo Purse Structure/Open Tire Rule), and UMP Modifieds with NASCAR driver and Fox broadcaster, Kenny Wallace, slated to compete.

Shane Golobic, by virtue of his indoor victory at DuQuoin, Ill. in March, leads the USAC National Midget Series standings, but a host of drivers will be out to knock him off the pedestal in the upcoming swing. Rico Abreu repeated as “Indiana Midget Week” Champion last year, joining former IMW champs Shane Cottle (2005-06), Jerry Coons, Jr. (2007), Tracy Hines (2008 and 2010), Bryan Clauson (2009-2011), Brad Kuhn (who shared the 2010 title with Hines), Darren Hagen (2012) and Christopher Bell (2013).

Midget racing is a familiar sight at MMS with its Midget Series now in its 5th season. Shane Hollingsworth is the all-time win leader with 7 victories at MMS; however, many USAC regulars have found victory lane in a Midget at MMS including Justin Peck, Spencer Bayston, Darren Hagen, Shane Cottle, Chett Gehrke, Davey Ray, Gage Walker, and many more.

The Montpelier Motor Speedway, which began racing in 1903 and hosted its first automobile race in 1915, is one of America’s oldest remaining racing facilities. While the east central Indiana ¼ mile clay oval has a historic past, the facility has seen many major modern upgrades the past four seasons including new restrooms and bleachers along with the addition of many safety features such as a new catch fence system along with a new front stretch wall, lighting system, transponder scoring, and corner runoff areas. The Montpelier Motor Speedway commonly competes weekly on Saturday Nights with its popular Modified and Stock Car divisions and is also the host to the popular Montpelier Motor Speedway Midget series. The Montpelier Motor Speedway is slated to host 2 National USAC events during the 2016 season.

Date
Tuesday, May 31st

Classes
USAC National Midgets – Indiana Midget Week Night #1
Non-Wing Sprint Cars (Kokomo Weekly Purse Structure / Open Tire Rule)
UMP Modifieds (Kenny Wallace Tentatively Scheduled To Compete With UMP Modifieds)

Times
Pit Gates Open – 2:00 PM
Main Gate Open – 3:00PM
Hot Laps -6:00 PM
Racing – 7:00 PM
Racing Curfew – 11:oo PM

Tickets
General Admission – $20
Kids (12 and Under) – Free (with paid adult)
Pit Pass – $30
Entry Fee – None
Competitor’s License – $20 (required for UMP Modifieds only)

Please Note: For this event for the comfort of all fans, stadium and/or boat seats will not be allowed in the grandstand area. Thank you for your understanding.

Camper Parking will be located in the east lot near the barn

East Central Indiana
700 South Jefferson
Montpelier, Indiana 47359

Conveniently located 15 miles from Interstate 69 Exit 264 (Indiana Highway 18)

Web and Media
Official Website – www.MontpelierMotorSpeedway.com
Facebook Page – http://www.facebook.com/MontpelierMotorSpeedway
Twitter (@MontpelierTrack) – https://twitter.com/MontpelierTrack

Track Information

Size and Configuration – 1/4 Mile Clay Oval With Sweeping Corners; 10+ degrees of banking in corners and backstretch.

Year Built – 1903 as 1/2 Mile Horse Track

First Automobile Race – May 5, 1915

Seating Capacity – 3,200

Parking – Free parking located near main grandstand entrance

Family Section Seating – A designated area for family seating is located in the grandstands directly behind the flag stand. The consumption of alcoholic beverage in the family section is prohibited.

Coolers – Insurance regulations prohibit the carry in of any cooler

Camping – Free overnight primitive camping is allowed. Self Contained Campfires Permitted. Please no wood with nails. Self Clean-Up Required

Alcohol – The Alcohol and Beverage Commission prohibits the carry in of any alcohol. Beer is sold at the track. ID is required.

Souvenir Stand – Fully stocked souvenir stand (includes MMS T-Shirts, Hoodies, Pictures, and MMS Programs)

Kids Stand – Fully stocked family/kid souvenir stand (includes kid’s toys and novelties, racing flags, safety glasses, hearing protection, etc… Items starting at .50/$1.00)

Restrooms – New clean Men and Women’s restroom located behind the main grandstands. Pit side restroom is men only.

Concession Stand – Wide range of food and sides and cold/hot drinks located behind the main grandstands. Dual lines to purchase food available from spectator area. Picnic tables spread throughout the facility.

Pets – Pets are not allowed in the grandstand area.
Last edited by BrianBSU23; 5/29/16 at 1:40 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtHawk92, racegal, TNRustler
5/29/16, 11:01 AM   #2
Re: Montpelier Set To Kickoff Midget Week Tuesday, May 31
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Plan on being there, Will be a new track for me. I see no stadium seats, But is a fold up seat that is no bigger than my rear allowed?

Any other tips not listed, Best place to sit?.

See you there!

2 members like this post: DirtHawk92, racegal
5/29/16, 11:35 AM   #3
Nate

Charles, the individual sets of bleachers are relatively small like 10-12 rows but they line the entire front stretch so as long as you're at the top of one of the stands you can see pretty much everything.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, tqracer78
5/29/16, 12:39 PM   #4
BrianBSU23

The views are pretty good everywhere, but In my opinion the best 2 places to sit are the seats in turn 4 and the pits in turn 1. Those are the two tallest sets.

The turn 4 bleachers are a new set that we didn't have for the USAC show and gives us another 500 seats. They are much taller than our other bleachers. The turn 1 are a little taller and will put you right next to the pit action and the push off lane for the sprint and midgets.

We have 5 good restaurants in town with Frostys, Carries, Subway, cheap pizza at Speedway, and Pizza King. The first 4 are strong supporters of the track.

A track staple food wise is the pulled pork. We have a full menu and multiple sides. There are two lines. Check the side on the west side of the concession stand as it is usually much shorter.

We cannot allow any seats that is going to hang into the space and comfort of others.
Last edited by BrianBSU23; 5/29/16 at 2:07 PM.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, DirtHawk92, PAW, tirespinner
5/29/16, 1:45 PM   #5
MIracing

Kyle Larson and Christopher Bell are scheduled to be there according to Keith Kunz Twitter. Should be a great night! I haven't been down to the track yet but I've heard nothing but good things.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, DirtHawk92, tirespinner
5/30/16, 5:09 PM   #6
BrianBSU23

We are busy preparing for tomorrow's kickoff to Indiana Midget Week!

Campers as you arrive, please park in the east lot east of the driveway. Thanks for your help!

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
5/30/16, 5:23 PM   #7
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I see no stadium seats, But is a fold up seat that is no bigger than my rear allowed?
That depends, how big is your rear?

Just pickin'

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, interpreter66
5/30/16, 6:01 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
That depends, how big is your rear?

Just pickin'
I'll be easy to spot, probably have a BOSS Sprint 2014 shirt on. Say Hi.

1 member likes this post: fish
5/31/16, 2:52 PM   #9
BrianBSU23

Sprint cars - we would like to call close the sprint draw at 5. Please call 765-728-8210 if running behind.

1 member likes this post: Cel Cripe
6/1/16, 11:56 AM   #10
Charles Nungester

Was glad to get out to my first non local race in over a year and first new to me track in awhile, Was a ton easier and 45 minutes quicker, driving home straight to Celina and then south than the zig zag route I took that I normally took to Gas City

Got there mid afternoon and chatted with a few people I knew, MCRider, some track workers etc. About 4 had a good convo with the Packer of Mud. Then Mr. Brodbeck and wife and DKDork and several others. Then took a walk about the pits. I had put my seat up in turn four high and prior to hot laps settled in for the races.

You could see all the improvements they had done, Fence, some grandstands, Score tower, fresh grave walkways and restrooms were nice. Food was very good. fries were good, Chicken Tenders among the best. Pop cheap for track prices.

The racing, The track was racy, and the racing enjoyable. I did have problems seeing due to dust early in the midget event but it blew off. Also the turn two and back straight seemed really dark but the racing was great. Bell went to the tail early due to a scrape in one and two and after the red, I seen one lap him stick it on the cushion and kept his foot to the floor where he must have passed 6-8 cars. By mid way he was up to sixth and managed third out of it. Thorson and Larson swapped the lead a few times but Thorson looked pretty dominant mid race and after Larson smacked the wall, I was sure he was done. Wrong! Im not sure but late in the race Thorsons RR looked like it was rolling over a bit coming off two as if it had lost some air pressure and Larson got him and drove away. My biggest problem the whole night was figuring out which KKR car what which driver and I never did get it right save Larson, The Lady and Thorson due to sponsors. Rico and the other same number and Bell and Macedo I had trouble distinguishing. Yeah there's a W and a K on each but unless they're right in front of you in your area of the track, Your guessing.

The Sprint race was pretty much dominated by Clauson but second through fifth was a scrap the whole race. Was rooting for Boespflug to hold second but car was a little loose off and three slick masters got him, DD, Bacon and Coons not in that order and I root for them as well. Cottle was in that mix somewhere as well. I'll have to check results.

Anyway new track, Good racing, Lots of improvements and more to come Im told. Thanks for hosting and the hospitality, everyone at the track was great. A extra set of speakers for the new grandstand in four and some more back straight lighting and Id of had no constructive criticism at all. I did have a great time and thats all that can be asked! I'll be back!

I even seen Johnny Thunderhead on the way out, who I was glad to see is getting along better after health issues. The whole day I was saying to myself that its so weird being up in this part of the country without talking to Dick Terrell. RIP my friend.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/1/16 at 12:07 PM.

3 members like this post: DirtHawk92, interpreter66, Sandy Lowe
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Montpelier Set To Kickoff Midget Week Tuesday, May 31