IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Insurace for drivers
4/17/24, 4:54 PM   #11
Re: USAC Insurace for drivers
JakeCroxton

Generally, all the tracks are the same way. But you're at their mercy as to what they cover.

In my experience, most were at 50k excess medical.

So in that case, you could have your personal medical, the track's excess, and the series' excess.

Generally the ambulance ride and the helicopter ride are some of the things that you hear about that are excluded. I know a long time ago in my career, we would pass the helmet at intermission to help a guy that had an ambulance ride.

None of this is new. Much like your safety equipment, this is something that you have to consider when you get behind the wheel of a racecar...

4 members like this post: mlamb, motorhead748, TBONE, TQ29m
4/17/24, 8:15 PM   #12
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCroxton View Post
Generally, all the tracks are the same way. But you're at their mercy as to what they cover.

In my experience, most were at 50k excess medical.

So in that case, you could have your personal medical, the track's excess, and the series' excess.

Generally the ambulance ride and the helicopter ride are some of the things that you hear about that are excluded. I know a long time ago in my career, we would pass the helmet at intermission to help a guy that had an ambulance ride.

None of this is new. Much like your safety equipment, this is something that you have to consider when you get behind the wheel of a racecar...
Or you could slip in the tub, crack your skull and be just as screwed.

Racng's dangerous, but it doesn't hurt to cover as many bases as possible.

4/17/24, 9:18 PM   #13
Vookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvar View Post
Does USAC provided any insurance for sprint or midget drivers that are injured racing ?
made multiple calls to USAC and never got an answer -
best I can tell is some tracks provide some coverage, but not sure how much that is
there are companies that will insure drives but comes with a high deductible that supposedly the track or USAC will cover - but could never get a straight answer. being helicoptered out of a track is super expensive - who pays for that ?
apparently a big secret until someone is injured -
You ask the same question on this forum back in 2021.
https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...6639&styleid=1

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, opnwhlmnd, TBONE
4/18/24, 7:34 AM   #14
hoscalecody

One more issue to be worried about is how the police report the accident. I guess, after talking to a friend of mine that was air lifted out of the track multiple years ago. (Non USAC event though) The police do a report on it, I guess at least since the helicopter was called in. Officer wrote it as an auto accident with no vehicle insurance. Instead of an all terrain vehicle/racing accident. Due to that issue, his personal insurance wouldn't cover any expenses including helicopter ride. OUCH.

I can't speak on if police do a report on all accidents where someone is transported out of the track or not. I have no experience with that, due to I was an idiot and refused all medical treatment. Very stupid, especially since I've learned years later that I broke my back, neck and have some brain damage from the swelling. All of which could've possibly been treated if I went to the hospital. What makes all that worse is I had a USAC license and was technically at event, so that would've helped with all the cost. All of forced me to retire from racing in 2023.

Let that be a lesson to everyone that does race. Don't be a stubborn idiot, go get checked out.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 4/18/24 at 10:05 AM.

2 members like this post: CRA91, Ilovedirttrackracing
4/18/24, 8:11 PM   #15
brown11b

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvar View Post

so folks drivers are at risk for a financial disaster
Racing in general is a financial disaster

2 members like this post: motorhead748, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Insurace for drivers