IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ralph Potter
11/27/14, 10:16 AM   #11
Re: Ralph Potter
Corky#55

I couldn't tell you how many times the boys and myself tried to climb Mr Bendo and never succeeded

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/27/14, 10:32 AM   #12
LB

Rest in peace Ralph

11/27/14, 10:33 AM   #13
Corky#55

I'm hurt that you would say that Workman's was the most famous. I was on tv in Orlando. LOL

11/27/14, 11:11 AM   #14
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky#55 View Post
I'm hurt that you would say that Workman's was the most famous. I was on tv in Orlando. LOL
Corky

Would that be a pre Disney Orlando when all they had was sand and ponds. I am going to try to get in touch with Preston.

I don't think that big old kitchen table could ever get enough kids around it. The Potter's took on Kids like some people take in cats.

Ralph was famous for his USAC midget racing, but his biggest contribution was to all the kids he helpled along the way to develop into productive adults. Some went on to become famous race drivers others went on to become Lawyers I went on to become a Muffologist.

Bill Jones
Last edited by DAD; 11/27/14 at 2:56 PM.

1 member likes this post: Corky#55
11/27/14, 4:43 PM   #15
DAD

Corky

Well I did something I said I would never do and signed up for Face Book. You was the only Corky I could think of. You were one of the many reasons so many Motels always invited us not to come back again, right?

We sure had a lot of fun back in those days, I just can't figure out why the Motel people kept getting so upset.

I remember the year Poncho ran his first 500 Ralph had a party for him at the Quarter Midget Shop. You all where there. I had been working on this real cool Handlebar mustache for the last 6 months or so and was pretty proud of it. Your Mom walked up to me with that sweet little smile on her face reached up got a hold of one side of my mustache twisted it straightened it out and yanked on it and said sweetly "I don't like those things" Tears came to my eyes from the pain and That was the last time I have ever wore facial hair.

Bill Jones
Last edited by DAD; 11/27/14 at 4:54 PM.

1 member likes this post: Corky#55
11/27/14, 11:56 PM   #16
Corky#55

Bill, I to said I would not do the fb thing then a couple months ago I caved to peer pressure and so far until now I haven't regretted it. Yes Orlando was pre Disney and do you mean Preston Ford? I still remember Sonny and our dad's taking us to a place called Denny's, not the current Denny's for dinner and the HE-MAN sundae. We ate ice cream till we were sick!
I dont understand the motel comment. It was just a little mattress. Heck David threw a baseball threw a picture window, Mike Roller I think broke a swimming pool light globein the pool and him and Macky broke a door down to get at Jeff Bratton and me to throw us in the pool. I was a victim for pete's sake!!
I remember my Mom and your handlebar. Priceless!! That was a wild and crazy party for this 16 year old!
It will be great for all us KID'S to get together to talk about the man that was so largely responsible for these memories. I think my earliest childhood memory is me driving Tracy's 1/4 at 5 years old. I remember I did not practice or qualify and Dad and Sonny just started me on the tail end. I dont think anyone knew it was me and I remember Sonny raising crossed arms to indicate he wanted his car starting 10th. The rest is a blurr until all these people are chasing me on foot around the track trying to hit the switch to kill the car cause I couldn't reach it. The fat lady on the haybale and Dick Lotshaw got the end result of that. Good times.
I'm waiting on Bryan to get back in touch with me about where he will be staying and we want to be close. Hopefully there will be a motel in speedway or Brownsburg or Avon that the old crowd might stay that don't know us! Feel free to call 219-508-4214. Now I have to go to fb and reply to you and Kurite's post. I hope I c

11/29/14, 12:23 PM   #17
DAD

Corky

My Boss also my wife said I can take off part day to drive up. Preston Ford is dealing with a new Boss and doesn't know yet, I will Keep twisting his arm.

We just got home from racing 1000 cc Midgets at Du quoin Il. and I am a little tired yet. It ain't USAC but close enough to keep my juices flowing, but not very fast any more.

Now if I could just find my "Red Potter V6 hat" I would be ready. I guess I won't be able to pick you up and throw you across the room now ha.

I can't get into my fb account yet guess I'll have to go home and get my son to do it for me, I do IOW and phone pretty good although with only two fingers working I do experience "finger float" quite often.

Bill

PS I am leaving off that "Y" intentionally.
Last edited by DAD; 11/29/14 at 1:22 PM.

1 member likes this post: richie
11/30/14, 7:30 PM   #18
Corky#55

I wish I had a Potter V6 hat!!!

12/2/14, 12:21 AM   #19
Eric C

I went to school at Speedway with David Potter, one of Ralph's sons, and later on in life when I was looking at some property in Avon to build a house to raise my family, I found out that Ralph was the owner and seller of the 10 acres that I was writing a purchase offer on, he took my first offer on it and later told me that he called his boys and asked who i was and said it was more important who his future neighbor was going to be then the price he was getting for the land, several years later when I was talking to my neighbor (Ralph) and I told him that i was thinking of getting a Go kart for my son and was going to look into racing, he looked me straight in the eyes and said, let me tell you something, if your going to put your kid in a car to race then I suggest you put a Cage around him and put him in a Quarter Midget,

I must say Ralph Potter is personally responsible for 10 years of memories I will cherish for years, 3 years in quartermidgest, 3 years in a Kenyon midget 2 years in a Focus Midget and 2 years in a full midget, Thousands and Thousands of miles traveling all over the country with my son and all the time my next door neighbor was always there if I needed advice, I could go on and on.

RIP Ralph

Eric Cottongim

4 members like this post: DAD, henson5099, interpreter66, Tony74
12/2/14, 8:10 AM   #20
DAD

Eric

Yep, that is the Ralph I knew. Bet that you haden't planed on acquiring a friend along with your piece of property. I would bet he didn't bother you a lot with idle chatter either, but if you needed help concerning your race cars or anything else he was always their with very relevant info.

He was "Mr Quarter Midget" for years. When a kid got their first "Kurtis Quarter Midget" they knew they had a arrived, whether they lived in Indianapolis or Washington state.

Bill Jones
Last edited by DAD; 12/2/14 at 8:56 AM.

1 member likes this post: Eric C
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ralph Potter