IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > adding a refrigerator to a sprint car.
3/24/11, 5:04 AM   #1
adding a refrigerator to a sprint car.
Larryoracing

I had this idea for about 6 months now. All the hot rodders use to use them in the old days. I think now, most would consider it a joke, but I think the idea is still valid. I think the HP gains can be computed mathematically, also. Some people already have. I think I can cool the intake air 15-20 degree farenheit.

Kool/Cool can. I bought a refrigerator for my 23T bucket. I really bought it for the supercharger I'm going to install on my hot rod.
Basically it's about 3 gallon box that holds about 4 lbs of ice. It sits in front of the radiator and looks like a small fuel cell, but it is not.
The air from the supercharger is ducted to the "refrigerator"/ice box and cools the air before entering the air cleaner above the 4bbl carb. There is also enough room to cool about 25 feet of coiled fuel lines going to the carb.

They say for every degree you cool the air you get (?) so much extra HP. The cooling of the fuel is the extra/icing on the cake.

The icebox weighs basically nothing. And depending how much ice you dump into the box...2-3 lbs you may add a few extra lbs to my T-bucket or a sprint car. But, I think I should feel a little improvement in performance and I think the same result could be felt on the sprint car even though it is not supercharged. I just want to cool the air to about 42 degrees fareheit before entering the air injector box above the stacks.

I already bought the supercharger, the specially built ice box from a racer/manifacturer for super/turbo chargers and all the 4" ducting going from the supercharger to icebox to the air cleaner/bonnet that sits on top of the carburetor. Speciallhy built supercharger carburetor also...lol!

What you think? I also think if you wanted you could add a little box the full size of the bottom of the fuel bladder on a sprint car to cool the bottom of the fuel tank, too cool the fuel. Just an idea.

Sincerely,

Larry "O"
Last edited by Larryoracing; 3/24/11 at 5:07 AM.

3/24/11, 9:27 AM   #2
Re: adding a refrigerator to a sprint car.
TQ29m

Larry, back in the day, we called them "cool cans" and you might still be able to buy one from Jeg's or build your own for that matter. To put something like a cold box, on a Sprint car, might be akin to putting a kickstand on one, not much value there, but, the cool can might be something of value, you could even put a Hudepohol in there, for later! Bob

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

LarryO, been doing some more thinking on your idee, alcohol isn't very happy, below 60 degrees, as anyone who has ran when it was below 60*, it works pretty good with gasoline, because it make it more dense, heavier if you will, but alcohol is already "heavier" than gas, so, depends on what fuel you intend to use. Probably better to spend money on something else. Bob

3/26/11, 7:43 AM   #3
Re: adding a refrigerator to a sprint car.
Larryoracing

Thanks Bob,

You gave some very important information on the temperature of alcohol. I already bought the box on ebay for the ice chest for my 23 T Bucket, which I bought the old style Paxton Supercharger that I want to run on gas.

Somehow I got to get some information on what temperature the air is going into the front of the sprint car. On the west coast I would believe the temperature of the air is below 60 degrees farenheit.

Most people run the cold air in front of the radiator with those updraft air scoops over the front axel and then there is a hidden openning underneath the front lip of the front hood, almost invisible until you buy one of those hoods and see what they are trying to do...lol! It's very deceptive and almost invisible.

J & J just released a "plate" fiberglass piece that sit underneath the stacks the full width of the hood that keeps all hot air from the engine away from the intake stacks and in combination with the front scoop in front of the radiator and the small openning in the front of the "cowl" of the hood with this newly released fiber glass plate insures only cold air is entering the injectors. It's kind of a ram air scoop when you have all three pieces in place. That J & J piece just came out. I saw J & J advertisement in Speedway, but Speedway doesn't sell it and J & J was not saying what the price is. I bet they want a couple hundred dollars for it. You can build one cheaply, but I like the idea it is already made with the Dzus fastener and all the brackets, etc.

Thanks for all the information. It's greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
Last edited by Larryoracing; 3/26/11 at 7:47 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > adding a refrigerator to a sprint car.