IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What happened?
10/9/14, 12:49 PM   #1
What happened?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

As I grew up, LBurg and other tracks ran shows with two premium classes and a support. It was always Sprint and Late Models and Beatles or street stocks or a type of modified.

Sprint and Midget shows once in awhile with CORA or NAMARS. I guess the fact that there isn't another org in the area kinda hurts that but Powri has ran a few at Bloom, and Tri State.

Seems now tracks are either LM or Sprint tracks and honestly, Both suffer because of it attendance. Mods are great but its becoming clear that its not the eco class that it was started to be and people are jumping ship pretty quick because to be a front runner you almost got LM funds in the car.

I don't blame the tracks too much but both top classes together would have great crowds.

The first time I ever showed up at Bloominton in 1988 They had a NW sprint and LM night 40 laps each and I think it was 2 grand to win in each There were 40 cars in both classes and I flat out loved it. The fact that Randy Kinser, Bob Kinser and Rick Hood ran three wide and a hard charging Greg Staab rom 17th was knocking on their rear nerfs trying to get by was just a bonus. Bob Kinser edged it out but it was one of the greatest NW races I ever seen. Then we seen Godsey, Petro, Gill and others in the LM's

Im not suggesting weekly, But maybe twice a year, Would it be worth say 25 bucks to see a couple 4 grand to win 40 lappers with the top two dirt divisions and no undercard?

Just looking or creativity, We have our racing favorites now, But I do miss the Downey and Herbert on the High Side and Gillardi and Englin on the bottom LM's as much as The great sprint racing we also saw.

10/9/14, 1:19 PM   #2
Re: What happened?
oldfan49

Not sure about there but here it seems it was technolgy. The more tech the late models bought the more they pressured promotors to get the track glassy and smoth to get maximun return on their investment. And the Modifieds have followed suit. Any kind of cushion is prohibited and every effort is made to not let one develop.
Promoters in this area only through enough water a few hours before racing on a track they have pounded to death all week to get some wheelspin to get the track blackened off as quick as possable. there are times it takes rubber before hot laps are done.
The result is when the traveling sprint car group in this area is on the card they can only basically idle the turns and try to drag race the straights. Or occasionally run single file on a rubbered down track.
Hard to get new sprint fans with that.

We are probably only the only area where race fans pray it rains pretty good the morning of race day. It takes a few hours of rain to soften the hardpan and get any moisture in the track.

10/9/14, 1:19 PM   #3
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I know and I miss it too!

When I first started going to Williams Grove in 1978 they raced Super Sprints and Super Late Models weekly. It was a great program filled with the areas best in both divisions. The pits and the stands were packed! Port Royal is the only track in the area that still runs 410 Sprints and Late Models on the same card weekly.

3 members like this post: apexonephoto, Charles Nungester, nathans1012
10/9/14, 3:22 PM   #4
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

You don't think 800 HP motors and 6 tire compounds had anything to do with slicked off race tracks ?

10/9/14, 3:45 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

A lot of things have to do with slicked off tracks.

A Number one is being packed way too hard and not enough moisture down in the track. I've seen tracks go all night with over a hundred cars running on it
without taking any rubber and I've seen tracks rubbered over before hot laps were done.

Wind, Sun and dust are major players even if the track has good moisture in it. If the top of the track drys before cars dig into it. Dust immediately gets spun into the surface and is abrasive to tires.

Two races come to mind for me as examples of good and bad.
50th anniversary race or USAC at Eldora and had a 50 lap feature. The really didn't touch the track all night. It was the middle of august and 90+ degrees. NO RUBBER at all, I think they ran mods and Eldora Stocks with it.

Gas City this spring, I think the first race they had this year and the Drivers Meeting lasted 45 minutes and another 15-20 minutes to get the cars on the track, The track sat over a hour after getting wheel packed. OMG, The B****ING I seen on here and facebook, They worked the track between heats and consis and everyone said those races were great. Talked with a track worker and he said the track was prepped perfect, It just sat for a hour before a car took a lap. INSTANT SLICK!

I know theres going to be back and forth about Tri State and IMHO its two much. Three track sessions in one night, But I sure don't mind one and a little spot work throughout a night to keep a track from Locking down.

I kinda love the way they've been doing Terre Haute and hitting trouble spots between the heats. A couple extra warmup laps and race! Track keeps widening but yet maybe by the end of the feature gets some rubber.

10/9/14, 4:45 PM   #6
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt in ur beer View Post
You don't think 800 HP motors and 6 tire compounds had anything to do with slicked off race tracks ?
NO! It's preparation.......

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, koolaid89, sc17x
10/9/14, 5:19 PM   #7
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Ok , the more I think about it u guys r right about track prep being responsible. It came to me that I've been to knoxville several times that the Dunkins had the track "too" good . Sorry , I was wrong .

10/9/14, 5:59 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
NO! It's preparation.......
How many times Cecil could we walk out on LBurg after Sprints/LM's and Stock features and the track would suck our shoes off?

1 member likes this post: oldfan49
10/9/14, 9:09 PM   #9
treecitytornado

Mel Johnson was the man! Miss him!

1 member likes this post: Eatin Dirt
10/9/14, 9:20 PM   #10
speedy20

FINALLY it has come out!!! That would the greatest decision ever.... sprints and late models on the same card especially at the Burg! I grew up there, worked there and raced there and in the past that place was packed every Saturday nite when they were on the card. You hear year after year that it will happen and year after year.... NOTHING!! This needs to happen. I don't care if it happens 2 times a year... it needs to be done. I live 10 minutes from the place and can't even use it except for practice or the Merrill Downey race. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm bitter.. I am, especially when it comes to this subject. JMO

2 members like this post: Eatin Dirt, i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What happened?