IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lps updates
6/29/12, 8:09 AM   #31
Re: Lps updates
kcarm92

all i can say is if i was Joe Spiker, last night would be my last thursday night race, everyone praised him when he said he was going to race on thursdays, fans said they would support it (not) maybe there mad because he added support class (had too) last night that didnt help to few of cars in that also, so what little profit he might be making on saturday shows hes losing on thursdays, not to mention the work that goes on to get the track ready, and yes it was nice of them to try it but its also time to throw in the towel. or m aybe figure out a way to put a stop on people giving updates then you ahave to be there for to see whats going on, jmo

2 members like this post: agar, ROSS
6/29/12, 9:05 AM   #32
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Kenny, Congrats on the feature win!

1 member likes this post: Dblchkrs
6/29/12, 9:07 AM   #33
beas1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarm92 View Post
all i can say is if i was Joe Spiker, last night would be my last thursday night race, everyone praised him when he said he was going to race on thursdays, fans said they would support it (not) maybe there mad because he added support class (had too) last night that didnt help to few of cars in that also, so what little profit he might be making on saturday shows hes losing on thursdays, not to mention the work that goes on to get the track ready, and yes it was nice of them to try it but its also time to throw in the towel. or m aybe figure out a way to put a stop on people giving updates then you ahave to be there for to see whats going on, jmo
Not everyone has the pleasure of being self-employed.....jmo

6/29/12, 9:25 AM   #34
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Quote:
Not directed at you Kenny, just quoting the subject. Agree with the points.

I go to probably 50-60 races a year, more than some, less than some. Haven’t been to one of these Thursday night shows and probably won’t. Not because I don’t want to, but because I can’t go to them all (family, money, work, etc.). Since I can’t do them all, these are the type of shows I will skip. Again, not because I don’t want to be there or because I don't think they are good, but because I can’t do them all. If I lived closer, I might hit some of them. I would think some others who go a lot fall into this category too. They go to many events a year, but can’t do every single one of them. So this does need support, I just can’t support every show out there. If I can see X number a year, I’m always going to pick the “more valuable” ones to me. Example: I might sit out a week so that I can go to 4 or 5 straight nights of USAC the next. I have X shows I make it to so I figure out which I want to see more than others.

The heat won’t keep me away if I want to see something. Also, updates don’t keep me away either. Those never replace being somewhere for me. I’ve NEVER stayed home one time because people are doing updates.

Not saying stop the Thursday shows…especially since I don’t go. Just stating one reason why the crowds aren’t there. I was hoping this would work when announced.
Last edited by openwheelKT; 6/29/12 at 9:27 AM.

6/29/12, 9:58 AM   #35
racefan20

Quote:
They make a bad decision to run on a 100 degree day and you are ready to throw in the towel?? 2 weeks ago there were thunderstorms 20 mi from the track that scared everyone away then this week the heat. You have to draw more than just the folks on this board to make any $ and only the diehards are gonna show up on a 100 degree day.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

6/29/12, 10:30 AM   #36
hoosier race fan

Maybe running every Thursday night is just too much. It might make this a more profitable venture to run 2 Thursday nights out of each month. That way they could pick out certain Thursday nights that might be better suited to getting a good crowd and good number of cars. Take this week for example. They just had a summer nationals race on Tuesday, so many of their regular local fans may have spent their money on that and skipped last night so they could still afford to go Saturday. Maybe not running on Thursday every week would also get the fans who want to attend to save up and go to the 2 shows a month they do have. Same thing for the race teams. They might be able to afford 2 extra races a month and may be more likely to go. They could also rotate the support class they would have at each event, so those guys would have 1 extra race every 2 months. I'm not the promotor and it isn't my money to gain or lose, but after the first month maybe there's enough of a sample to think about what can be changed to improve the success of the program.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
6/29/12, 10:32 AM   #37
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I certainly hope this can work for all involved, promoter, car owners, drivers and fans. I would imagine that Joe Spiker is a good business man and with that being said I also think that he realized with any new venture, it wouldn't happen over night. With the economic situation the way it is today, any type of racing is a gamble. If you start something like this, you need to stay the course. Thanks Joe for doing just that.

I agree with John that LPS needs more people than this board covers to make it successful. It would serve us all very well if we would just bring another person to the races with us. I am trying to do this and my hope is we all can make this happen.

Hot weather and updates from the track won't keep me at home. Last night I wasn't sure if I could make it or not due to a work committment. It would have been easy for me to throw in the towel early in the day and just stay home in the air conditioning and wait for updates. That's not me.

I have hit all of these Thursday night shows so far and if at all possible, I will hit each of them. I am sure that Joe and his staff will evaluate this situation in due time and either make changes or scrap the idea completely. Only he knows the business plan they have put into place and we can only speculate what that might be.

If it fails, I certainly don't want to be the one who caused it to fail. I prefer to be part of the solution rather than the problem. So if you are sitting home waiting for updates and can make it to Lincoln Park, I would highly recommend you get there. Otherwise it might be a lonely Thursday night sitting at home with no updates either.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6/29/12, 10:47 AM   #38
19racer

Think problem is people and low budget racers are out of money. He ran last sat then tue then thurs and honna run this sat. Pro what 50-60 in stands for one 120 pits. People can't afford that with the economy. Had people ask why 21 late models. From what I've seen tracks that don't run them weekly have real low car counts. I can't do thurs I have to get up at 4

Posted via Mobile Device

6/29/12, 11:11 AM   #39
kcarm92

first off yes its nice to be self employed, right up to the time to pay the bills, deal with the public at times, work 8-5 then struggle to make it to lps by the six oclock draw shutoff but we do it because we like to race, now later today go home and do it again to go to bloomington, now back to lps like i said Joe has tried to make this thursday work,and yes last two thursdays had cost him money, just dont think with the $ people have to spend its gonna work at least not right now, most sprint car teams are waiting for sprint week and we all know after sprint week car counts go down anyway so whats this saying for the rest of this year, as for as support classes we go when he races because of running last year we belong to his 100% clup so we get in free or we might not be there too.so if this thursday nights work great,if not at least he tried and besides when it started he said he would go until sprint week and then decide to continue on with it. support what ever race track you attend

6/29/12, 11:39 AM   #40
Don 65s

Maybe Joe could just make Saturday night even Bigger and drop the Thursday night deal. Ive not seen a bad saturday night yet. The stands are always pretty full and as is the pits. If Joe would up the purse in the sportsman & mods he could draw a few more cars from Brownstown and bloomington.
Brownstown only runs a couple times a month. From what i have heard most guys wont make the drive because of the low pay out. Dustin ran 2nd in a sportsman car and got $200.00 Brownstown $350.00 Bloomington $310 to $400.00 depending on car count. More cars and more fans in the stands. Just a thought. lol Look for a packed out stands Saturday night at LPS with the fireworks. Kenny see ya at Bloomington tonight.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lps updates