IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gary Lee
7/14/14, 8:50 PM   #11
Re: Gary Lee
wbr

Gods Speed Gary Lee!
I remember many nights watching on tv and then we got to share them again years later while racing and enjoying the Whiteland raceway with my sons racing karts.

1 member likes this post: fish
7/14/14, 8:55 PM   #12
ThePurple73

Gary was a great announcer. Great job on the Dirt Champ cars.
He helped set the standard.

7/14/14, 8:56 PM   #13
Avon Open Wheel fan

I remember years ago I went to Whiteland Raceway Park when he owned it. Gary was getting ready to head out to announce a race in Ohio that night. He still took the time to talk to me and made sure to make my visit special. Even though he could not personally go out on the track he had someone come out to run in front of my race cart to show me the lines. He also did not even worry about how long I was on the track even though it was a ten minute deal I think it was more like 20 minutes or more. This was my only time of personally meeting Gary in person but I spent many Thursday nights either at Raceway Park or watching him on ESPN.

www.illinimidgets.com

7/14/14, 8:57 PM   #14
Tony Barhorst

Favorite memory is his emcee fun at the Jack Hewitt Roast that is on DVD. I was there that night.

I always thought it was cool he owned Whiteland Raceway Park, and worked with the MTQRL TQ's.

Godspeed.

2 members like this post: fish, vitron
7/14/14, 9:09 PM   #15
cfr

I grew up listening to Gary on Thursday Night Thunder. I was fortunate enough to finally meet him when my son started racing with MTQRL. Gary always came around and talked with everyone. He always had advice and stories that he shared with my son. One night at Madison, we broke in practice so Gary had my son come to the booth with him. He did his typical interview with him and then taught him how to call a race, letting him call the final heat race that night. Gary asked us to represent the MTQRL at the Old Timers Reunion and that was one of our best days ever. Talking with Gary and hearing all his stories was amazing. That day, Gary gave my son a pair of racing boots that he has been wearing this year. We will miss you! RIP my friend.

Prayers for the family.

7/14/14, 9:10 PM   #16
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

Always had to laugh, year after year at the Hoosier 100, Gary threatening to bring a chain saw to cut down that scoreboard that blocked their view of turn 1. God Bless Gary Lee, imagine the feature he's calling tonight.

2 members like this post: fish, Speedwrench
7/14/14, 9:14 PM   #17
Sprint63122

Always enjoyed listening to him announce races at any track he worked, thought it was great to see him doing the silver crown races. Losing to many of the people that actually had a real interest in presenting a professional product for the fans to hear while at the track no yelling and screaming on the pa system that seems to be happening a lot nowadays.

3 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, Mud Packer
7/14/14, 9:24 PM   #18
SprintManDave

I always enjoyed it when Gary and Larry Rice would do the P.A. work at the H.A.R.F. meetings. Rest in peace Gary.

7/14/14, 9:57 PM   #19
treecitytornado

Gary was a great man on and off the race track! He always took time to chat with me on the phone and I sure wish I could've told him that my first Announcing job went well the other night. I enjoyed any race that he was a commentator for! He also had his time behind the wheel too! God Speed, Gary!
Here is a great pic of Gary at the Hoosier Dome Invitational Midget race in the late 80s with legendary car owner and builder, Bob Lowe!
J.T. Stapp
Attached Images
10346445_824039074276032_2422627684278765543_n.jpg (66.6 KB, 113 views)
Last edited by treecitytornado; 7/14/14 at 9:58 PM.

7/14/14, 10:08 PM   #20
richie

Back in the early 1990s when I was an impressionable young kid, I began my lifelong obsession with sprint car and midget racing. Those key people who made me into the fan I am today include Gary Lee and Larry Rice on Thursday & Saturday Night Thunder. Now, both are gone. RIP Gary & Larry. Just know that you guys made a huge impact on my life and, for that, I will be forever grateful.

I have a huge collection of "ESPN Thunder" videos featuring Gary & Larry's work. Tonight, I'm reliving many of their great calls from the races of the past: https://www.youtube.com/user/charlesintestine/videos

2 members like this post: Action Tracker, fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gary Lee