IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Jcpelly (Offline)
  #1 8/28/23 3:58 PM
New to the midgets up here in minnesota. Bought a turnkey car with a Ford Fontana in it with the rear cam spud driving the PS and fuel pump just like in our sprinter. Can't get any power steering after trying 3 different PS pumps, sending in the steering gear, and swapping the front end in case it was binding. Nobody up here has a clue about these things. Is there a chance that the ford fontana cam spins in the opposite direction from our sprinters thus our pumps and the one that came on it aren't working? We have ruled out about everything else. I didn't get any info with the car so pretty much trying to figure this thing out myself. Funner than hell to drive but no PS on a little track is a little challenging and dangerous. Thanks for any help.
badcoupe (Offline)
  #2 8/28/23 4:00 PM
It’s possible just spin engine with a drive in it to see what direction it spins. I believe the cam is gear driven with just a crank and cam gear so it is very possible they’re reverse.
Frank Reiner (Offline)
  #3 8/28/23 4:24 PM
Jc:

In the Arias/Fontana based engines the cam rotates in the opposite direction from the crankshaft. It is a two gear drive rather than three, or chain, or belt.
Viewed from the rear of the engine the cam is rotating clockwise (CW).

Let me know when you want a second Ford Fontana; a dyno time only engine!
Jcpelly (Offline)
  #4 8/28/23 4:33 PM
Originally Posted by Frank Reiner:
Jc:

In the Arias/Fontana based engines the cam rotates in the opposite direction from the crankshaft. It is a two gear drive rather than three, or chain, or belt.

Thank you. No wonder nothing was working. Thanks but I got more than I can handle already
Jcpelly (Offline)
  #5 8/28/23 5:08 PM
Originally Posted by Frank Reiner:
Jc:

Is there someplace that has these opposite turning PS pumps or do you convert a regular pump to pump in the opposite direction? Looks like the pump that came with mine hadn't been converted.
Frank Reiner (Offline)
  #6 8/28/23 5:34 PM
Jc:

Most of the PS pumps can be converted to operate in either rotation.
Have a look on the pump for the manufacturer's name; check with them for specifics of changing rotation.
rickyj51 (Offline)
  #7 8/29/23 12:03 PM
Also keep in mind if you ever need a cam spud that it is LH thread
Fox.53 (Offline)
  #8 8/29/23 12:54 PM
You can only reverse the square KSE pumps, not the blue/silver or back/silver pumps.
Jcpelly (Offline)
  #9 8/30/23 3:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fox.53:
You can only reverse the square KSE pumps, not the blue/silver or back/silver pumps.
Yep, have an old one with the block on the top that i'm getting converted now. Good think I didn't get rid of it.

Good to know about the reverse cam spud also.