IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looking to get into open wheel
11/23/18, 11:31 PM   #11
Kjohns421

Thank you guys for all the info. I’ve had a few pm me and say similar things. My questions are mostly answered, but of course are followed by new ones. What are the average weekend costs of each of these; minis (600cc), midgets (1000-1200cc), and 305? I’m really eyeing the 305 since it will be the V8 I’m so desperately after, but I don’t know the weekend costs. I already have a 3500 pickup from racing sxs and quads, and open trailers on the farm, with a good fuel supply thanks to my trucking company. The buy in costs are posted for sale, so I just want to get a ball park of weekend costs if that is ok

11/24/18, 12:19 AM   #12
xoxide

I run limiteds in Florida (similar to 305s), costs me -15-20 gallons in fuel- $40-60
- pit passes for me and my dad- $70-100
- tires (90% of the time I get 3-4 weekends out of a pair of tires) - $400ish
- misc weekly maintenance- $50-100
- diesel to get there- $40-80

If I don’t have to buy tires I usually spend about roughly 250-300 to run a weekend. Sometimes less sometimes more.

D2 midget costs were probably about 1/2 that cost.

2 members like this post: davidm, wallbanger II
11/26/18, 10:29 AM   #13
Re: Looking to get into open wheel
sjracer26

Race Count Last Year: 18

Pm sent

11/26/18, 10:33 AM   #14
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjohns421 View Post
Thank you guys for all the info. I’ve had a few pm me and say similar things. My questions are mostly answered, but of course are followed by new ones. What are the average weekend costs of each of these; minis (600cc), midgets (1000-1200cc), and 305? I’m really eyeing the 305 since it will be the V8 I’m so desperately after, but I don’t know the weekend costs. I already have a 3500 pickup from racing sxs and quads, and open trailers on the farm, with a good fuel supply thanks to my trucking company. The buy in costs are posted for sale, so I just want to get a ball park of weekend costs if that is ok
By "good fuel supply" I hope you mean for towing; most of the classes mentioned require Methanol and even if local rules don't mandate it, it is the fuel of choice for cooling and safety reasons.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: racer2021, TQ29m
11/26/18, 11:43 AM   #15
TQ29m

Been following your story, never listened to one who knew so little about "real racing", even if it's yard karts, or RC, the cost is usually measured by how much you have to spend, and sometimes, how well you want to do. Quad racing is fun, but it in no way compares to any other form of racing, IMHO, if you think you won't be happy, in anything that doesn't have a V8 in it, by all means buy one, or maybe better yet, go do what most folks are telling you, get on a team, and learn, I once sold a midget to a guy who wanted badly to race, and had the money to do it, but had no idea what it took to do it, his thought was go race, go home, go again next week, he made it 2 weeks I think, he had all the resourses in the world, nice big shop to work out of, a hauler, and just a little bit of knowledge, just enough that in two weeks, he had bought a pavement stock car of some sort, that he could race at ORP, take it home, and it was ready to go the next time, maybe, maybe not, I think he lasted about the same time in it. To be a good racer, you have to expend some energy, there is as much or more to be done before you go, than there is track side, and with little knowledge of either, a huge surprise awaits. And don't think that micro/mini racing isn't a challenge, hook up with someone for a month, sounds like you may be from the area, that not long ago, had so many of them, they couldn't get a lot done, they were overwhelmed , that would be the Fairgrounds at Lebanon, In, we went there a few times, and there were cars everywhere, nice facility, I thought, but I think the Fair board decided it was just too much, so they decided to move the track to another location on their ground, but I don't think it ever happened. Good advice is hard to come by, but the best is look before you leap!

3 members like this post: davidm, jdull99, Ken Bonnema
11/26/18, 3:07 PM   #16
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

If it were me, I'd be looking most heavily at getting set up for 305 racing, because I would hope to make the jump to 410 non-wing at some point; and it'll be less cost overall if you just have to replace the motor, take off the wings and purchase a few components than buying a full mini-sprint outfit and having to sell out to jump up in class.

And with a 305, if you feel you are good enough and you can afford to, you can take off the wings at a place like Bloomington and run with the 410s for laps. You may not be head of class in a 305 but on a slicked up track you should get to race enough to make laps worth something.

11/26/18, 3:15 PM   #17
Big Mike 7

If you decide to go the 305 route give me a call, I have a roller with spare parts that might interest you. My name is Mike 513-377-2999

11/26/18, 11:23 PM   #18
ledgerwood3

If you want to run with the v8 sprints, I would recommend helping out with a team first. Make some connections. It's another full time job during the week maintaining them before going to the track. How much you want to spend is how fast do you want to go. It took me 4 years to finally get out. I had some stops along the way because I had no personal back ground in Sprint cars. I help out some teams as I was building my own and they help me out with parts and a whole lot of knowledge. Best of luck with it all!

1 member likes this post: erich45
11/26/18, 11:42 PM   #19
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

The Baldwin car might be for sale

4 members like this post: jdull99, luckybuc97, racenut69, TQ29m
11/27/18, 10:28 AM   #20
TQ29m

That would answer all your prayers, and questions, just one, HOW MUCH!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looking to get into open wheel