IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looking to get into open wheel
11/21/18, 8:20 PM   #1
Looking to get into open wheel
Kjohns421

I’m sure there are many posts over this, but I can’t find any that answer all my questions. I’m looking to get into sprints but don’t have 50k a year to spend on it. I’m reading about 305s, minis, micros, midgets, and don’t really know what is right for me. I have about 12 years racing experience from karting to pro woods sidexsides and quads. I’ve always wanted to race a V8 but don’t know if I have the budget in order to do it. Can anyone give me some info on what is the best fit for me? I’m racing on a budget but devote to a sport once I get in. I’m also considering sportbike racing but sprints are my first choice. My dad raced both in his day and I am fortunate to have a dad that has the infamous terry pletch on speed dial

1 member likes this post: Al Pierce
11/21/18, 8:32 PM   #2
hsracer338

Pm sent

11/21/18, 8:46 PM   #3
Re: Looking to get into open wheel
Eric Smith

Where do you live?

11/21/18, 9:07 PM   #4
Kjohns421

North of Indianapolis about 40 miles off of i65. South of Lafayette a little bit

11/22/18, 1:51 AM   #5
motorhead748

If I told you my salary and owned raced wing 410's and was able to win at most every track I ran at you'd call me a liar. If you have the desire it is possible. Granted my time was 20 years ago but it's not hugely different today.

1 member likes this post: sprinter6
11/22/18, 8:58 AM   #6
hoscalecody

In my opinion although it may not be what you want, but i'd at least say run a 305 or a mini sprint for a couple years to get familiar with a sprint car, before you get into a bigger horse power 360 or 410. Everyone I've talked to that went from atv or dirt bike racing and been doing it for 5-10 years said it was like they'd never raced a day in their life when they went to a mini sprint or sprint car. I've heard same from karting, but I can't say for sure. I started racing mini sprints.

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
11/22/18, 10:59 AM   #7
Kjohns421

Can adults race mini sprints? I only ever see kids racing those. Minis are 600cc, and midgets are 1000cc right?

11/22/18, 7:27 PM   #8
wright59

Yes, definitely do not underestimate the competition in a 600. Some of the toughest racing there is for all ages.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
11/22/18, 10:46 PM   #9
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjohns421 View Post
Can adults race mini sprints? I only ever see kids racing those. Minis are 600cc, and midgets are 1000cc right?
JMHO, but I'd say spend some $ on pit passes to all the indoor races u can this winter & get an up-close look at everything...if you really wana jump into smthn, spend a little bit more (like a couple 1000, lol) and rent a car in any classes you can. That would be a good way to get a feel for things, & an inside look at how a those team goes about things.

I blv most 600s are called micros. 1000s/1200s are primarily mini-sprints (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the way I understand it in certain parts of the country). You can run a 1000-1200 with some forms of midgets, but for the most part, some still call them a mini, even tho they can race with the midgets...ya, its a little confusing...lol (you can run less weight tho, so really, it is a pretty good way to go...& then you can run it with the mini-sprints only when you want too...). Study all the rule books you have time to peruse...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 11/22/18 at 10:50 PM.

11/23/18, 4:24 PM   #10
Jonr

the comments about buying a pit pass and just observing is the best answer. Also, once you decide what you want to do, I would spend a season working on some one's pit crew. You can learn about the car, the track, and everything else in the pits and not have to spend all of your money doing it. When you do this, it will also give you an instant friend the next year when you pull in with your own car.

If I were a young man, I would definitely look into a Micro (600). I have seen full grown men over 6 feet tall climb out of a micro. They put on a great show. They tend to have tracks built just for them which makes it even better. Finally, you are going to see all kind of trailers at a 600 track. You are going to see the open trailers with the Micro on the back all the way to the a hot shot rig with a 40 foot trailer. When I first went to the pits, I was completely blown away with all of the money people had in their trailers for a micro sprint.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looking to get into open wheel