IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown car Spy Photos
11/17/09, 1:58 AM   #11
Re: Gold Crown car Spy Photos
D.O.

Russ that's a great comment except USAC doesn't own this series or make the rules. This complete deal has been taken over by Bruce Ashmore who redesigned the car and is building this first car with the new body.

Ashmore for those who don't know has worked for Lola, Reynard, as the desigener of their sports cars and Indy 500 winning cars.

Bruce Ashmore (born c. 1959 in Cambridge, England) is a race car designer who designed and developed 11 championship winning IndyCars with two different race car manufacturers, first with Lola Cars and then with Reynard Motorsports.

After graduating from Cambridge Technical University he started working for Lola Cars in Huntingdon, England. During his seventeen years with Lola he worked his way up from intern to chief designer. Bruce was a member of the design team for many race car projects and was the chief designer on the T8800, T8900, T9000, T9100, & T9200 Lola IndyCars.

Then, in 1993 Ashmore joined Reynard Motorsports to begin work on their first Indycar. Within two years Reynard overtook Lola to become the leading Indycar chassis manufacturer.

Bruce's role with Reynard Motorsport took him to the United States where he setup Reynard North America (RNA) and later built the Auto Research Center (ARC) in Indianapolis, Indiana. ARC became the Reynard North American Headquarters. Between 1993 and 1998, he served as Technical Director for RNA and later also for ARC and then in 1999 became president of RNA.

Ashmore joined Forysthe Championship Racing CART team in 2001. After two successful years with the team where he planned the Championship title bid in 2003 he left at the end of 2002 to start Ashmore Design. Ashmore Design has had contracts with Menard Competition Technologies, Menard Engineering, RuSPORT Champ Car team, Conquest Racing and more recently with C&R Racing Incorporated. Ashmore helped Chris Paulsen design the C&R Racing United States Auto Club (USAC) Silver Crown race car.

It's Bruce's deal and money doing this.

There are 23 of these cars owned by somebody, a couple of the owners are here on IOW and they like what is their future.

3 members like this post: AustinSprinter, Bruce Harrison, Ovalmeister
11/17/09, 2:27 AM   #12
KOP

One HUGE problem with this so-called series:

Open Wheel fans sure the hell aren't going to support this gawd ugly piece of junk no more than the current fiasco of a car. That means this series needs to capture the attention of racing fans from outside the open wheel community. Lets be real here. Take a hard look at this ugly thing and ask yourself:

"Are there really going to be racing fans in any reasonable numbers to latch onto this series?"

I highly doubt it!

3 members like this post: 767, Hubie, SUPERDUKE
11/17/09, 7:11 AM   #13
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
Russ that's a great comment except USAC doesn't own this series or make the rules. This complete deal has been taken over by Bruce Ashmore who redesigned the car and is building this first car with the new body.

Ashmore for those who don't know has worked for Lola, Reynard, as the desigener of their sports cars and Indy 500 winning cars.

Bruce Ashmore (born c. 1959 in Cambridge, England) is a race car designer who designed and developed 11 championship winning IndyCars with two different race car manufacturers, first with Lola Cars and then with Reynard Motorsports.

After graduating from Cambridge Technical University he started working for Lola Cars in Huntingdon, England. During his seventeen years with Lola he worked his way up from intern to chief designer. Bruce was a member of the design team for many race car projects and was the chief designer on the T8800, T8900, T9000, T9100, & T9200 Lola IndyCars.

Then, in 1993 Ashmore joined Reynard Motorsports to begin work on their first Indycar. Within two years Reynard overtook Lola to become the leading Indycar chassis manufacturer.

Bruce's role with Reynard Motorsport took him to the United States where he setup Reynard North America (RNA) and later built the Auto Research Center (ARC) in Indianapolis, Indiana. ARC became the Reynard North American Headquarters. Between 1993 and 1998, he served as Technical Director for RNA and later also for ARC and then in 1999 became president of RNA.

Ashmore joined Forysthe Championship Racing CART team in 2001. After two successful years with the team where he planned the Championship title bid in 2003 he left at the end of 2002 to start Ashmore Design. Ashmore Design has had contracts with Menard Competition Technologies, Menard Engineering, RuSPORT Champ Car team, Conquest Racing and more recently with C&R Racing Incorporated. Ashmore helped Chris Paulsen design the C&R Racing United States Auto Club (USAC) Silver Crown race car.

There are 23 of these cars owned by somebody, a couple of the owners are here on IOW and they like what is their future.
Good for him then. Some people have more money than sense I guess.

11/17/09, 7:48 AM   #14
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Well this is a pretty positive post...

I would say that in the current state of the world economy, US economy, and the lack of any excitement in open wheel pavement racing any new series is a fairly big risk.

But I love racing just as much as the next IOW'er. Just not so sure of how exciting a feeder/development series for NASCAR and/or the IRL can be. Correct me if that is not the goal of these. I am all for rich people/parents infusing money into racing. It doesn't help the journeyman racers, or allow someone to follow the career of kid who runs sprints/midgets for a year moves to ARCA, and his folks run out of money before the big time arrives.

This thing looks way too similar to the new generation Silver Crown car. I think the old car may have a negative effect on any future vehicle that slightly reflects that appearance.

2 members like this post: Need For Speed, SUPERDUKE
11/17/09, 7:53 AM   #15
racerdog45

I like how their trying to "NASCRAP" it.....lol Did anyone else notice the body work off another car hanging on the wall in the background, Menard yellow 91 with Dodge headlights and so on.... The last attempt at this was a disaster. Now it looks like he's going for a NASCAR support series and right now NASCAR trucks are not drawing crowds and have issues with car count, Nationwide is hit or miss with huge numbers of start and park teams and even CUP is down and dropping. I'm pretty sure NASCAR, it's owners and even drivers have more than enough on their hands right now trying to keep things going without taking on yet another series with cars COMPLETELY different than anything else they race....

11/17/09, 7:56 AM   #16
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post

so are you saying this is a stand alone series that does not run under usac's banner? if so then then good luck to them with there series and i wont have to see them at a usac event.

11/17/09, 8:13 AM   #17
ByronMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Just another USAC disaster. A huge waste of money.
It simply amazes me how people get on this site and ***** and moan about the current situation that open wheel racing is in, not enough cars, not enough money for the teams,etc. Then when someone tries to do something positive for racing there is nothing but negative replies, even before the seroes has run a single race. Why not have an open mind and not be so negative. Just my 2 cents worth, best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

11/17/09, 9:02 AM   #18
cecil98

Why don't they just go ahead and put a roof on them and get it over with. I just see another series of ugly race cars that run on a thursday afternoon in front of a couple of hundred retired geezers in the stands.

1 member likes this post: mtek56
11/17/09, 9:14 AM   #19
Seadog

It looks like part Indy Car, part Silver Crown car, and part stock car. That nose looks like an Eagle from the late 60's.

I like it. So shoot me. I went to the new style SC races and I will go to the new Gold Crown races.

One other thing - do we even know if the photos represent the final on track product? Can somebody fill me in, please?

3 members like this post: IndyBound, Ovalmeister, TeamCGR
11/17/09, 9:23 AM   #20
v8j

It is a Box do not like them and will not be nice to the package.it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown car Spy Photos