IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ohio Sprintweek
6/21/18, 6:01 PM   #41
Re: Ohio Sprintweek
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
I like them with wings or without, I prefer with wings,but that's me. What wears me out is all the people who call the wing "the crutch" and say it takes away the talent. Show me one guy who was a wingless back marker and became a front runner when he put the wing on, and you might have something, but it doesn't happen.
You don't see that because there is a reason why they are back markers in non-wing either they have less talent or less money(or both) than the front runners. If they moved to wings they would still have less talent and because it costs more to run wings they would be even farther behind in the $$ race. So your point doesn't really prove a point.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

6/21/18, 6:24 PM   #42
55fan

Thank you all for the entertainment. I would rather be at the racetrack than arguing any day. When in doubt see quote below.
Last edited by 55fan; 6/21/18 at 6:25 PM.

6/21/18, 7:16 PM   #43
revjimk

That quote applies to LOTS more than sprint car racing!

6/21/18, 7:54 PM   #44
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Or this one, Lickliter Bros. National Champion, Competition Coupe & Middle Eliminator, 1960. They were from Staunton, Va. where I lived at the time. I remember seeing it thru their garage door on the way to school, eventually got to talk to them, go in & see it. Basically an Austin coupe body dropped on a slingshot dragster:

Either that car or one like it is here in Cincinnati. A local guy has a huge collection of stuff.

6/21/18, 8:04 PM   #45
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
You don't see that because there is a reason why they are back markers in non-wing either they have less talent or less money(or both) than the front runners. If they moved to wings they would still have less talent and because it costs more to run wings they would be even farther behind in the $$ race. So your point doesn't really prove a point.
Disagree on a couple things. He made a valid point, if wings are a crutch some one with lesser abilities should improve if only a little. Second is cost. It did not cost me more when I ran my car. And I've been around a few non wing cars and see what they spend and could've only hoped to be able to have their budget.

6/21/18, 10:29 PM   #46
ossuks

2 years ago I caught a WOO race , it was not my 1st, but to that point I had seen very few. To sum up the last 2 years, I have seen about 50 winged races between the WOO and the All Stars and I am a fan. I was a wing basher for 40 years....Now I am a fanatic, for some reason I feel like I am watching the biggest event in racing each time, can not pin point the reason, marketing, announcers, sponsors, something makes me gravitate to them. Plus they race for real money ??

3 members like this post: mcweld, motorhead748, PIT CART
6/22/18, 1:01 AM   #47
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
Either that car or one like it is here in Cincinnati. A local guy has a huge collection of stuff.
I'd love to see that! However, it was a fairly typical Competition Coupe for that era, there were plenty that were similar....

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
6/22/18, 2:03 AM   #48
revjimk

Quote:
I'd love to see that! However, it was a fairly typical Competition Coupe for that era, there were plenty that were similar....

6/22/18, 5:58 AM   #49
BrentTFunk

Brady Bacon has a column in the latest Sprintcar and Midget, talking about the differences in the cars. He has done a lot of both, and has some good insight.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
6/22/18, 6:59 AM   #50
motorhead748

Quote:
If you're ever in Cincinnati look me up. There are 2 guys here in town with big collections

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ohio Sprintweek