IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Yet another sprint class
9/24/14, 11:35 AM   #1
Yet another sprint class
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

According to an article in the current Area Auto Racing News, Accord (NY) Speedway is going to run non-wing sprints in 2015. They will be powered by sealed 602 GM Crate Chevrolet engines and will use a Bert transmission, so as to be self-starting.

The promoter, Gary Palmer, says his son runs a 305 Sprint, in which he has over $25,000. He thinks a car in his new division will cost half that.

The track currently runs this crate engine in a stock car class. It must be maintained and sealed by Hunt's Machine in Schenectady, NY. He plans the same arrangement for the sprints.

It says in the article that the Bert transmission costs $3000. I read somewhere that this crate engine costs $3700, but the sprint engine will require some work so it can drive the standard sprint fuel pump and power steering unit. Therefore, it seems to me that, to meet the promoter's target of $12,500, the rest of the car will have to cost about $5,500.

He plans to pay $300 to win.

1 member likes this post: SWScaleChassis
9/24/14, 5:43 PM   #2
Re: Yet another sprint class
amxman

Wilmot in WI is planning about the same around the 604 motor. No pumps off the back of the motor, a 2 barrel carb, and they will still push start. The 604 costs more like 5000 from speedway. I would prefer a 305 racesaver class for an entry level sprint class. Then at least I could build my own if I so choose.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Yet another sprint class