IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What steering was used??
2/11/12, 3:02 PM   #1
What steering was used??
rrc

I was wondering what type of steering a USAC car racing in the mid-late 1970's would have been using? Was the power unit around then or would manual still have been the preferred choice? thanks, rc

2/14/12, 11:05 PM   #2
Re: What steering was used??
David Nearpass

My experience working around the cars started in 1977 ... USAC sprints with power steering.
David Nearpass

2/15/12, 8:19 PM   #3
rrc

thanks David, I was relatively sure power steering was the choice being used at least by the later 1970's...

2/18/12, 10:40 PM   #4
Speedwrench

In the early seventies the choices for manual steering would have been Halibrand, Schroeder, and variations of the Ross. As memory serves me power steering was around by then with Lee being the most prevelent name in open wheel racing.

2/19/12, 4:02 PM   #5
TQ29m

Norden was also used in early Sprints, but Gordon Schroeder probably supplied the most, that's why Over the Road truckers were good racers, they could muscle a car! Bob!

2/19/12, 5:38 PM   #6
racephoto1

Bob, I have a friend who ran in the 40's to the early 60's. He old me he had ARMSTRONG steering. If your arms were strong, you steered.

2/25/12, 10:14 PM   #7
baldtireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwrench View Post
In the early seventies the choices for manual steering would have been Halibrand, Schroeder, and variations of the Ross. As memory serves me power steering was around by then with Lee being the most prevelent name in open wheel racing.

Stapp car I bought out of Brownstown in 1985 had a Homemade modified general motors power steering unit, with a looooonnngg pitman arm. Internally,the gear was "scary",so it went on the "pile" right away. John S.

3/17/12, 12:36 PM   #8
racing2a

I may have the steering gear you need!!!! I will follow up with more info on it. Jeff 812-459-7412

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What steering was used??