IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Week Suggestions
4/28/10, 8:15 PM   #1
Sprint Week Suggestions
motormouthmyers

I am hoping to come to sprint week (first visit) and was looking for suggestions on hotels and any "must see" suggestions.

Thanks!

4/28/10, 9:34 PM   #2
Re: Sprint Week Suggestions
thebus79h

If you've never been to Indy, make sure you stop by the Speedway, it's one of the most epic things you'll see, even when absolutely nothing is going on.

4/28/10, 9:39 PM   #3
Danny Burton

Consider one or more of our state parks. We have parks in every area of Indiana.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

4/28/10, 9:41 PM   #4
thebus79h

Good point Danny. Especially if you bass or crappie fish.

4/28/10, 9:53 PM   #5
kylenap@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus79h View Post
If you've never been to Indy, make sure you stop by the Speedway, it's one of the most epic things you'll see, even when absolutely nothing is going on.
I'll second that. The best bus ride ever.

4/28/10, 9:53 PM   #6
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

I've tried two methods, and I'm still not sure which I like best.

Sometimes we have stayed in one motel near the Indy aerodrome. That means we get to unpack once, but the drives to the outlying races are a pain in the nose.

Other times we have stayed in motels near the tracks. This means you're back in your room having a beer at an early hour, but it also means you have to pack up and move every day.

I think I'll probably sick with the one motel method.

4/28/10, 9:55 PM   #7
sprinter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormouthmyers View Post
I am hoping to come to sprint week (first visit) and was looking for suggestions on hotels and any "must see" suggestions.

Thanks!
Go to the various track websites; most have "recommended" hotels that offer discounts if staying for the races.....do go to Indy, and plan on spending at least half a day at the IMS museum.

Some of the teams have shops in the Brownsburg area, just west of Indianapolis; you may get an informal tour or two.

Speedweek is one of the best experiences that you'll have....do not miss Kokomo!

4/28/10, 9:58 PM   #8
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormouthmyers View Post

Thanks!
I think many of the locals on here probably haven't stayed in hotels in Indiana. I would use www.roomatlas.com to find a place to stay. Just enter the city you are staying in, and they show you the different options you have. I did just stay at the Gas City Best Western, which is so close you can hear the racecars on the other side of the interstate. (Mods kept flipping on opening night, and it was a little to cold to hang all night). It was $80 and a pretty decent room. I've stayed in all kinds of hotels in the state, as I get older the cheaper ones freak me out. You could bring a tent to cut down on some of your expenses. I think most of the tracks have free camping, a local could tell you that for sure. I also paid about $106 for a Holiday Inn in Bedford, south of Bloomington (who was out of rooms). I have an aversion to certain stinky hotels, and if you stay in hotels as much as I have you would too.

As for attractions, the museum at the speedway is a must see. I have driven by probably a million nice places, I just choose to go to the racetrack and hang out rather then see anything.

Also if you've never been to Indiana before, and depending on when and how you are departing, Winchester Speedway has a modified and late model race on Sunday afternoon, July 18. Not sprints, but Winchester is a bad fast track no matter what is racing on it.
Last edited by apexonephoto; 4/28/10 at 10:04 PM.

4/28/10, 10:36 PM   #9
racephoto1

The way things are shaping up, you won't get a lot of downtime. North Vernon added a date on an off day for USAC, so add another race.

Also on July 8, Champ Cars at Illiana. The PRA show a few years back was excellent, and I would expect the same. It may be pavement, but the Champ Cars are great to watch.

4/28/10, 11:18 PM   #10
mnnonwing

I have a suggestion move it to minnesota I have 7 tracks in mind.LOL!!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Week Suggestions