IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Here it comes Drug Testing for WOO Sprints & Late Models....
12/9/16, 10:24 AM   #11
Re: Here it comes Drug Testing for WOO Sprints & Late Models
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithracing View Post
Bloomer is screwed
He's running Lucas Oil Late Models from here on out along with a majority of all the other high profile late model drivers. They're fed up with UMP/WoO

12/9/16, 4:58 PM   #12
Mattmac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
this is a real safety initiative. all another organization wants to do is put lights all over the place.
That other organization already does random drug testing. I know this for a fact because I was randomly tested.

2 members like this post: brady, i love dirt track racing
12/9/16, 6:58 PM   #13
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmac05 View Post
That other organization already does random drug testing. I know this for a fact because I was randomly tested.
Enlighten me/us on how this process works. See, where I work, we have random and for cause testing. Let's just focus on random.

When my name gets pulled for a random test I go to the testing room. After paperwork is started, I am required to do two breathalyzers. One is a backup to justify the first, whether positive or negative.

Then I have to empty my pockets, wash my hands, and provide a urine sample. That urine sample container is then sealed and signed/initialed by both myself and the testing officer. It goes off to a lab for analysis. This could take up to three days.

Now, when we test drivers at the track, I am sure it is either by urine sample or blood draw. But, either way, the results have to be determined via lab analysis. Short of having a mobile lab, they have to be shipped off/out.

Is WoO going to have a mobile lab right at the track and did the sanctioning body have one for you when you were tested, Mattmac?

Seems to me if a driver is tested, the results have to be immediate before he hits the track that night, or..... they are going to use the results to stop him from going onto the track at the next event?

Interested to find out how this process will work.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART
12/9/16, 8:01 PM   #14
Mattmac05

Usac tested me. They said at the beginning of the night they choose a random pill #,whoever draws that # when they pull for their qualifying spot will get tested. I assumed it would be a urine sample also, but it was a saliva test instead. You held a sponge swab in your mouth for like 5 or more minutes. Then they take the swab and put it in a container that squeezes the sponge and it is probably like a pH test where an indicator is activated by a toxin or ph, etc. It is quick, easy, and convenient. I think it can only catch drug use within like 24-36 hours, but it would prevent a driver from driving impaired. Hope that helps. It really is the only good solution, because it allows for immediate results

4 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, sprint18, trannyman, Z-man
12/9/16, 10:10 PM   #15
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmac05 View Post
Usac tested me. They said at the beginning of the night they choose a random pill #,whoever draws that # when they pull for their qualifying spot will get tested. I assumed it would be a urine sample also, but it was a saliva test instead. You held a sponge swab in your mouth for like 5 or more minutes. Then they take the swab and put it in a container that squeezes the sponge and it is probably like a pH test where an indicator is activated by a toxin or ph, etc. It is quick, easy, and convenient. I think it can only catch drug use within like 24-36 hours, but it would prevent a driver from driving impaired. Hope that helps. It really is the only good solution, because it allows for immediate results
Interesting. Apparently somewhat immediate results, then. Thanks.

12/9/16, 11:19 PM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Today they have instant result urine test (Don't know what they'll be using) That have test for I think up to 15 or so substances but start at like five or seven.

Like a thermometer, The substance line will raise to the level of that substance in the urine sample..

12/9/16, 11:21 PM   #17
trannyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Enlighten me/us on how this process works. See, where I work, we have random and for cause testing. Let's just focus on random.

When my name gets pulled for a random test I go to the testing room. After paperwork is started, I am required to do two breathalyzers. One is a backup to justify the first, whether positive or negative.

Then I have to empty my pockets, wash my hands, and provide a urine sample. That urine sample container is then sealed and signed/initialed by both myself and the testing officer. It goes off to a lab for analysis. This could take up to three days.

Now, when we test drivers at the track, I am sure it is either by urine sample or blood draw. But, either way, the results have to be determined via lab analysis. Short of having a mobile lab, they have to be shipped off/out.

Is WoO going to have a mobile lab right at the track and did the sanctioning body have one for you when you were tested, Mattmac?

Seems to me if a driver is tested, the results have to be immediate before he hits the track that night, or..... they are going to use the results to stop him from going onto the track at the next event?

Interested to find out how this process will work.
I realize mattmac explained how he was tested.my thoughts are... regardless if they do it with immediate results or did send it off,if someone test positive it shouldn't be a question if the driver is expelled for a race.it should be for 12 months.

12/10/16, 1:23 PM   #18
racenut69

The only thing this does is make lawyers rich....This is a slippery slope,JMO!

2 members like this post: drob201, fish
12/10/16, 1:34 PM   #19
axman775

I'm all for this, but have they thought about what they would do regarding false positives? For example, the following "may" trigger a false positive results:

If you take or eat: You could test positive for:
Ibuprofen Marijuana, barbiturates, or benzodiazepines
Cold remedies Amphetamine
Hay fever remedies Amphetamine
Nasal decongestants Amphetamine
Diet pills Amphetamine
Sleep aids Barbiturates
Poppy seeds* Opiates/morphine
Hemp food products** Marijuana

Would hate to see someone miss a race due to a false positive test result.

2 members like this post: nathans1012, sc17x
12/10/16, 3:53 PM   #20
racerjim2

I was tested and found to be OLD and SENILE.

2 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, racenut69
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Here it comes Drug Testing for WOO Sprints & Late Models....