IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
8/9/08, 11:35 AM   #111
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
Tony Barhorst

John....We had the race track ready to race, and photos will bear that out.

I stand by my comments on race day. The teams that left have many fans who wondered what was happening as they drove out.

I suggest that no one in this situation hold a long term grudge. Keep in mind I spent all year promoting this event...and to have teams leave when the track is ready at the last minute was not only my PR problem...

I will say this...my heart is with the low dollar teams...In all race series.

Lets move beyond this, and use it as a learning tool...I promise I will. We all make mistakes. The race teams did what they had to do....I did what I had to do...

I paid a full purse for the midgets and sprints....and I refunded fans money for an hour after announcing. I tried my best....

My USAC race representative that signed my race was let go by USAC...I hated that when it happened. That was a big part of this.

I am still a USAC fan..I always have been...EVERYONE GO TO THE FOUR CROWN AT ELDORA!!

Best,
Tony Barhorst

8/9/08, 11:44 AM   #112
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
I want to apologize for what happened at Liberty Thursday. I have asked to be on the "Racin With D.O. Show" Monday to personally explain my side of events. Right now I am still stunned that teams would pull out of an event. I asked teams to work with us to get through this year, and they still loaded up and left THEIR fans without explanation. This hurt the fans and MY vision of them.

Jason McCord and I were fixing the issues that the teams had. We fixed the largest problem of the exposed concrete footer. We fixed the rebar problem, and others. And teams still pulled out. I feel that other tracks have some of the same issues: One USAC track this year had a large grader and other vehicles within stiking distance of race cars...and the teams did not pull out on them then. Even after Chad Boat hit the grader. I think fans know other tracks have vehicles within striking distance of race cars.

We fixed the problems...I have photos of the track after the races, and will show the footer held up decently.

I am in the entertainment businesss, and the show must ALWAYS go on, no matter what. Therefore we had safe races after USAC left.

The buck stops with me, and I take the blame. But I feel we could
have had a good USAC race based on the non points race we had. I paid the full USAC midget purse for the 14 fine teams that stayed.

Greg Staab.....Who toured the track with, gave the green light on having a race at Liberty. (I spoke with Greg yesterday, and he is doing VERY well) His firing had a part in this. My USAC rep was now GONE. The changes we asked for were not made by the Union County Speedway track owner. Keep in mind..they do have races at UCS every week with modifieds, and these issues did not come up with them. As a first year leasee of his track, I thought we fixed the problems when the teams still pulled out of the gate without anyone notifying me. I was not invited to any USAC meeting. I was trying the fix the problems. No one from USAC would tell anyone, the announcer what was happening.

I had to make the best of a bad situation , and still race. As a longtime USAC fan myself I am very sorry this happened, but am working through the issues with USAC. Listen for more developments soon. Have patience with the situation, and still go to the rest of Midget Week.

I wish the USAC Midget Week race tracks well as the series continues tonight at L-Burg. Dave Rudisell is a class act. Support Midget Week.

Best,
Tony Barhorst
Rumbleseries.com
Classic Motorsports, Inc.
Tony,

You mention that Greg Staab toured the track with you and gave the green light on this race. When did this happen since Greg has been gone from USAC for a while? If you won't answer here on the board maybe you could explain this further on the D.O. Show. Also maybe you can explain what his firing had to do with this?

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/9/08, 11:47 AM   #113
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

I cannot belive usac said they wont apologize

8/9/08, 11:50 AM   #114
racefan20

I understand Tony and am sympathetic to a certain extent. You did what you could under the circumstances. Alot of promoters would have cut the purse(see last years No Vernon KISS race) BUT losing your cool on a public microphone probably wasnt a real smart thing to do. A man to man apology to the drivers you insulted at some race down the road would probably do a lot to heal the wounds and let this thing die. JMHO but had you not said all that this thing would go away just like the "phantom" rainouts at Sprintweek 2 years ago have. It will anyway but to me its just the right way to do business. Just my opinion, do what you think is right, its your business and reputation not mine.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

8/9/08, 11:53 AM   #115
IndyBound

Dwight Clock you are spot on with your response, as you always are.

Racer9Bro, first you have no credibility in my eyes on this board when you hide behind a screen name. Second, how do you profess to know how Greg Staab thinks or what action he would take in any situation when you have never met the man and you can't even spell his name. Your posts are just rubbish.

Cecil98, I believe everyone that knows Greg Staab would like Kevin Miller to explain why he let Greg go. I also believe Mr. Miller will never give his reason on this board, that is just my opinion.

I have said it before and I wll repeat it, I felt Greg Staab found his niche when he went to work for USAC. Greg is currently working with the 6R SC team, when I saw Greg at ORP, he came across as the same fun loving guy I had met six years ago not someone holding a grudge as Racer9Bro would like us to believe. I do not profess to know Greg as well as many of you on this board. But, I do know Greg well enough to know he would never put anyones life at risk. He has many friends in the racing community and he knows the pain an injured racer goes thru first hand.

To say Racer9Bro made my blood boil with his post is probably an under statement. I have refrained from posting some of my thoughts for several weeks feeling my emotions were to raw from personal experiences and it was effecting everything I read on here. Before any of us post on here we should be sure to have our facts strait. When a driver is injured, remember quiet often their family, friends and fans unable to attend the race are on race related boards seeking information just like you are. Show them respect, compassion and restraint not to post rumors, speculation, or hearsay. Case in point, Terry Gibson's tragic death at Toledo a few short weeks ago, there was so much confussion on a supermodified board some people thought Gene Lee, Terry's brother lost his life. Also remember when you are posting what you think may have happend as Racer9Bro did yesterday, you are talking about someone's reputation. As we learned in this thread Racer9Bro doesn't even know Greg Staab; refrain from making negative statements about someone you have never met or talking about a situation you know nothing about.

Lastly, life is too precious to be sitting on a computer taking pot shoots or jabs at your fellow IOW members, some post on here seem to go down that path.

I have gained great respect for Mudpacker/Mike by following along on this board with his grandson Andrew's journey. Remember anyones life can change in a split second for what ever reason. I had my wake up call last Thursday night when a friends baby was born a month early, within 12 hours of Kody's birth he had to be transferred to a Neo-Natal ICU Unit at a larger hospital in Syr., N.Y. and the next day Kody's grandpa died in Florida never having a chance to meet his new grandson. Kody has shown great iprovement over the last week and hopefully will be home soon.

Sorry for getting off track, my point to all of this is think before you post on here, have your facts and do not post negativity about any other IOW member.

Thank you for letting me rant,

Patti

8/9/08, 11:54 AM   #116
Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Tony most things will be forgiven and forgotten over time. The one thing I think will take a bit longer(and that you didnt mention in your apology) is questioning the manhood and courage of the drivers who left. That was uncalled for. One of the teams leaving was TSR. Do you suppose Tony will want to race in your Rumble races or let you promote his appearance after you called his drivers pansies. Just wondering...........
100% in agreement.

8/9/08, 11:57 AM   #117
Tony Barhorst

Greg and I toured the track last October, changes were dictated to the track owner..., and those changes were not made, despite my mentioning them to him multiple times. Greg Staab was a big part of my event team on this race. He was cut loose...He was a guy that talks, and stays abreast of what is happening. I feel his leaving left USAC short of staff...Kevin Miller, Jason McCord and Smith are handling A HUGE schedule. They need more help. One big mistake I made was not having my insurance man come out. Now we will tour EVERY event I have. I am big on safety..even though it did not seem that way at Liberty. I don't own that property.

Greg was the guy that worked with me at Kamp last year (my agreement with Kamp fell through)....Keep in mind...I helped grow Midget Week as an event when I went to Kamp last year....and my date this year expanded it more....

I have helped develop Midget Week far more than I have been a detriment to it.

I told the race teams before they left,. that I am one guy trying to build purses...Please work with me. They snubbed me ...and left me hanging with a crowd that did not know what was happening.

We all need to learn from this and not hold long term grudges...

I also know this is a transition year for USAC...Any sports team...or business needs time to develop a new game plan with new players. Have patience and listen to the D. O. Show Monday night.

8/9/08, 12:03 PM   #118
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBound View Post
Dwight Clock you are spot on with your response, as you always are.

Racer9Bro, first you have no credibility in my eyes on this board when you hide behind a screen name. Second, how do you profess to know how Greg Staab thinks or what action he would take in any situation when you have never met the man and you can't even spell his name. Your posts are just rubbish.

Cecil98, I believe everyone that knows Greg Staab would like Kevin Miller to explain why he let Greg go. I also believe Mr. Miller will never give his reason on this board, that is just my opinion.

I have said it before and I wll repeat it, I felt Greg Staab found his niche when he went to work for USAC. Greg is currently working with the 6R SC team, when I saw Greg at ORP, he came across as the same fun loving guy I had met six years ago not someone holding a grudge as Racer9Bro would like us to believe. I do not profess to know Greg as well as many of you on this board. But, I do know Greg well enough to know he would never put anyones life at risk. He has many friends in the racing community and he knows the pain an injured racer goes thru first hand.

To say Racer9Bro made my blood boil with his post is probably an under statement. I have refrained from posting some of my thoughts for several weeks feeling my emotions were to raw from personal experiences and it was effecting everything I read on here. Before any of us post on here we should be sure to have our facts strait. When a driver is injured, remember quiet often their family, friends and fans unable to attend the race are on race related boards seeking information just like you are. Show them respect, compassion and restraint not to post rumors, speculation, or hearsay. Case in point, Terry Gibson's tragic death at Toledo a few short weeks ago, there was so much confussion on a supermodified board some people thought Gene Lee, Terry's brother lost his life. Also remember when you are posting what you think may have happend as Racer9Bro did yesterday, you are talking about someone's reputation. As we learned in this thread Racer9Bro doesn't even know Greg Staab; refrain from making negative statements about someone you have never met or talking about a situation you know nothing about.

Lastly, life is too precious to be sitting on a computer taking pot shoots or jabs at your fellow IOW members, some post on here seem to go down that path.

I have gained great respect for Mudpacker/Mike by following along on this board with his grandson Andrew's journey. Remember anyones life can change in a split second for what ever reason. I had my wake up call last Thursday night when a friends baby was born a month early, within 12 hours of Kody's birth he had to be transferred to a Neo-Natal ICU Unit at a larger hospital in Syr., N.Y. and the next day Kody's grandpa died in Florida never having a chance to meet his new grandson. Kody has shown great iprovement over the last week and hopefully will be home soon.

Sorry for getting off track, my point to all of this is think before you post on here, have your facts and do not post negativity about any other IOW member.

Thank you for letting me rant,

Patti
Patti,

I am sorry to hear about your friends son Kody as well as his grandfather. You wonder at times just how much a family can take. This just goes to show that we need to live for today and pray for tomorrow. This type of thing makes the cancellation of a race seem like nothing. Thanks for sharing.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/9/08, 12:17 PM   #119
DonMoore10

I've been reading these posts for the last two days and I have just a few words about this. The blame lands squarely on the shoulders of the United States Auto Club... PERIOD. Currently they are trying to impress the public with their HUGE 18 wheeler with expensive graphics, fancy SUVs, too many personnel falling all over each other etc etc etc and not tending to business. They are still offering their $2500 to win which was ancient history 20 years ago while trying to act like a NASCAR organization. I'm surprised that Mr. Miller and his vice presidents still have jobs. Lay off Tony Barhorst. He was pissed on by the United States Auto Club and the million dollar teams that abruptly took their dollies and went home. What did all of you expect Mr. Barhorst to do in that situation. The United States Auto Club had plenty of time to call the race before one dime was spent by the fans for the show.

Don Moore
midget #10

8/9/08, 12:29 PM   #120
Jerry Shaw

Tony,

When you picked up the microphone, the first thing you did was describe the situation and then you told the fans what Plan B was going to be. Had you left it at that. Had you quit while you were ahead, you would be in a totally different situation than you are in, right now. Most of those that left would have blamed USAC or the track and the majority would have left there feeling empathy for you. Had that been the case, I would have stayed. You crossed the line when you called the drivers pansies. Not only was that disrespectful on it's face to those drivers, but it was also an insult to that large group of fans who are addicted to and spend a large apart of their disposable income on, traveling all over the Midwest to watch these same "pansies" display their courage, night in and night out.

I've had a good time at many of your events. But, I'll not attend another one as long as you "...stand by what you said."

Jerry

Winston Churchill

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week