IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Desoto Speedway safety
3/28/17, 8:16 AM   #31
Re: Desoto Speedway safety
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

This past Saturday at Lincoln Speedway (PA) we had a driver injured. They always have two staffed ambulances at the track one in the pits and one grandstand area. As they left with the driver a third ambulances was pulling into the track. Just as they were about to push the cars back off a call comes in for an injured fan (kid) in the stands. All EMTS responded. Even though there was still an ambulance and fire crew in the pits no cars moved until the EMTS returned to the Pits. No car moves unless they have a staffed ambulance in the pits.

5 members like this post: 2starcar, Bostonian, midget39, PJ Wright, smith19
3/28/17, 8:44 AM   #32
david mitchell
Banned

The fact is this.The day will come when someone is killed and the family of that driver will sue the sanctioning body and the track because they did not make containment seats, hans devices, and cage straps on both sides mandatory.It is the society we live in. Bite the bullet now and don't open yourself up to these legal problems down the road. Fact is, a lot of drivers need to be protected from themselves. You may say personal choice, and I agree, but not when it means closing of Speedways and millions of dollars in lawsuits. It is not 1955 anymore. It is 2017. Auto racing has to start conducting itself in this manner.The same goes for the safety of the tracks. How many tracks do you go to on a regular basis and look around and wonder why hasn't that been changed.One comes to mind immediately. An opening in the wall going in to turn three. Please, it is not like it has not killed a couple of drivers before, yet there it still is.No excuse about it being the only way into the infield for cars. Put in a gate and close it.The thought process is truly amazing. We don't have the money to do this.Spend the money, or possibly be shut down forever. For God's sake show some concern for the people that compete there.Again, it is 2017 not 1955. Society has changed.

2 members like this post: Bostonian, markmckeon
3/28/17, 9:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mitchell View Post
The fact is this.The day will come when someone is killed and the family of that driver will sue the sanctioning body and the track because they did not make containment seats, hans devices, and cage straps on both sides mandatory.It is the society we live in. Bite the bullet now and don't open yourself up to these legal problems down the road. Fact is, a lot of drivers need to be protected from themselves. You may say personal choice, and I agree, but not when it means closing of Speedways and millions of dollars in lawsuits. It is not 1955 anymore. It is 2017. Auto racing has to start conducting itself in this manner.The same goes for the safety of the tracks. How many tracks do you go to on a regular basis and look around and wonder why hasn't that been changed.One comes to mind immediately. An opening in the wall going in to turn three. Please, it is not like it has not killed a couple of drivers before, yet there it still is.No excuse about it being the only way into the infield for cars. Put in a gate and close it.The thought process is truly amazing. We don't have the money to do this.Spend the money, or possibly be shut down forever. For God's sake show some concern for the people that compete there.Again, it is 2017 not 1955. Society has changed.
This is where you are wrong, How many tracks or series have people to inspect and certify the equipment that you want mandated. Your lawsuit argument is bogus. Anyone can sue for anything at any time. When you mandate a safety devise and it fails, you become liable. Lets talk about seat belts. How do you test them? Majority of tracks look at the date and they specify in there rules exactly how they will check the belts. Now if you read the fine print on belts, you are to discard after crashes. How many people can look at a seatbelt and tell weather or not it has been in a crash? This is why tracks only use dates.

3/28/17, 10:12 AM   #34
david mitchell
Banned

Personally, I think ultimately all auto racing will be regulated by the State.It has been done this way in New Jersey for years. Get ready for it.

3/28/17, 10:14 AM   #35
racer-x

How could anyone argue that a full containment seat couldn't help save your life in a side impact ?

3/28/17, 10:29 AM   #36
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
As a promoter I can tell you every single area is different. I have paid as little as $100 to have an ambulance at a facility, but I have also paid as much as $1000. One other thing that has changed over the last 5 years is the transport rules. At just about every single venue we work with, if the Hospital is more than 5min. away, they will call for a 2nd unit to transport. Also in several areas, fire departments are the main ambulance service. Now you have EMT's and not Paramedics working your events. This is also a big factor in price. I have read several comments here from people who have no clue what they are talking about. An ambulance on site means nothing if it is not able to transport. So many more things I can add to this, but many would not believe me.
767 this topic has been discussed before and everyone cares today but in a week its GOT TO RACE. I canceled a race one time because there was not proper safety equipment and got LAMBLATED on this message board because some did not get to race. I lost my job at USAC because I told Kevin Miller and his 1/2 million dollar salary that if USAC could not provide a peramedic at every event then he could find someone else to do my job. And he did. AND no one cared .....In 2 weeks most start to forget but family and they have to live with this for eternity.....There are very few that put safety first....IT cost me a job, I thought it would bring to the attention of the racing community (usac) that they were racing with sub par personal but no one cared....But, there are races coming up and we got to race weather we are fans or we are competitors we got to race.....well, almost all you will be there...not me...not anymore...I used to care and see where it got me...
Last edited by ossuks; 3/28/17 at 10:47 AM.

3 members like this post: 767, Bobv, interpreter66
3/28/17, 11:27 AM   #37
Eric Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
So many more things I can add to this, but many would not believe me.
I would. My biggest complaint since I started racing six years ago has been the lack of appropriate track safety crews. Like you said, people have no clue. I have never promoted, but I do race my own car, I've been a paramedic for 20 years, I teach others to become EMTs and paramedics, I have various trauma specialty certifications, I teach others (doctors, PAs, nurses, paramedics) trauma specialty certification courses, and I have been a part of inadequate track safety crews. So I have a clue. I'm actually considering seeing if can do my PhD dissertation on safety equipment, safety crews, and fatal/debilitating crashes. I doubt it will fly, but I'm going to try.

2 members like this post: 767, sprintracer82
3/28/17, 11:36 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
767 this topic has been discussed before and everyone cares today but in a week its GOT TO RACE. I canceled a race one time because there was not proper safety equipment and got LAMBLATED on this message board because some did not get to race. I lost my job at USAC because I told Kevin Miller and his 1/2 million dollar salary that if USAC could not provide a peramedic at every event then he could find someone else to do my job. And he did. AND no one cared .....In 2 weeks most start to forget but family and they have to live with this for eternity.....There are very few that put safety first....IT cost me a job, I thought it would bring to the attention of the racing community (usac) that they were racing with sub par personal but no one cared....But, there are races coming up and we got to race weather we are fans or we are competitors we got to race.....well, almost all you will be there...not me...not anymore...I used to care and see where it got me...
You are exactly right on the time frame. I even know of ambulance companies that hire EMT's on the weekends to cover track gigs. Or my favorite 1 paramedic and 1 EMT and the paramedic is the only one allowed to drive. People do not look into things. They see an ambulance and sometime a fire truck setting in the infield and think things are good. I sure hope my post does not come off that I don't think safety equipment will save lives. Its is the mandate of some of it that is tough. Wearing faulty safety equipment can be more dangerous that wearing nothing at all.

3/28/17, 1:08 PM   #39
1021gpa

Brownstown will have ambulance at no way out 40 and lucas oil shows but not at regular weekly shows

3/28/17, 1:43 PM   #40
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
who is going to regulate? I hope you don't mean some kind of government entity.
I don't know. What do you suggest? As far as I know, New Jersey is the only state whose race tracks are regulated by the state, and I have no experience as to how that works.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Desoto Speedway safety