IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Desoto Speedway safety
3/27/17, 12:43 PM   #21
Re: Desoto Speedway safety
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastaj View Post
Did Dave ever start wearing a Hans, full containment seat, or window net? I saw a picture of him racing in 2015 & 2016 and at that time he had none of those. I hope that this is not the case, that proper safety equipment might have changed the result?
How many drivers do we have to lose before tracks and sanctioning bodies require full containment seats. Looking at a picture of Steele's car from that night there is no full containment seat showing on the left side. Driver impacting the left side and nothing to keep the drivers head from hitting the wall.

I do give credit to Eldora as they are mandating full containment seats for all series this year (hence why BOSS is not sanctioning the Sprintacular nonwinged portion). Of course it took a fatality last year in a late model for this to become mandatory.

Just makes me sick when we lose another driver. RIP Dave Steele and Jason Leffler.

5 members like this post: Bostonian, jdull99, PIT CART, racer-x, ronmil
3/27/17, 5:40 PM   #22
cornerthree

I work at a couple of tracks in NE Wisconsin. We always have a ambulance at the tracks. When we have an injury or medical emergency in the stands, racing stops. If they have to transport we wait an till we have another ambulance on site.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
3/27/17, 6:21 PM   #23
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

I grew up going to Dixie/Rome/Seven Flags Speedways in Georgia and we always had an ambulance on site, along with paramedics and first responders too. I remember on a few occasions where somebody got hurt and the ambulance had to leave, so they stopped the show till a replacement ambulance was back on site.

3/27/17, 7:36 PM   #24
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Well, this has certainly been an enlightening experience. Had no idea we had such tracks in existence in this day and age. Apparently there was an earlier thread about this issue sometime in the past, but I did not see it. With racing having such a prominent presence in Indiana, it is surprising that is so unregulated.
who is going to regulate? I hope you don't mean some kind of government entity.

3/27/17, 8:06 PM   #25
darnall

My dad and I promote one outlaw kart national level race every year.. usually a 2 day show to effectively get the fastest guys in the main...we pay 3 grand to win and 200 to start a kart race on a small rodeo arena....because one time a year we can hustle enough sponsorship to afford to do it on that scale and still make it turn out as a profitable fundraiser...

To have a staffed ambulance on site at standby status, which means they leave if they get a dispatch call, costs upwards of 800-900 bucks per night... for them to be there watching our program instead of parked in their garage watching TV... I can't even tell you how much it costs today to get one on site with dedicated status..meaning they stay until they leave to transport one of our people or the show ends....because it was somewhere around 1200-1400 bucks per night 8-10 years ago the last time we asked about dedicated service.

If I'm a racer with 50 bucks in the checking account, no new tires, and a motor that needed freshened 3 weeks ago I can't honestly tell you which of the following 2 races I'm going to point my truck towards next weekend...

track A who now only pays 500 to win because us openwheel guys demanded an on site transport vehicle and staff and that thousand bucks had to come from somewhere or ...

track B 50 miles down the road where I always run good, 2 of the local hotshoes refuse to race, and they still pay 1500 to win weekly but we all know they have to call for transport

Seriously... I know what my choice should be...I know what I hope Id decide.. but I can't honestly say I would... and I bet track B has a bigger car count on average each week...

3/27/17, 8:21 PM   #26
hoscalecody

I personally don't think they should mandate full containment seats or anything if a racer doesn't want to run one gets in a accident which ends up killing them that's their choice. I also think tracks should have ambulances I like Waynesfield and Limaland rules if ambulance has to leave no racing is going to happen until a ambulance get back to the track. I'm all for full containment seats but not everyone is.

3/27/17, 8:57 PM   #27
Sandy Lowe

Darnell, 4-5 years ago the MTQRL paid to have an ambulance at a few of their races and it was nowhere near the 800-900 you stated. Possibly because we only needed one onsite for approx. 4 hours to cover all of our on track activity.

I believe what you stated was true for your event, but didn't want that number to prohibit someone from checking on an ambulance for their event.

3/27/17, 9:20 PM   #28
kcarm92

This might sound a little dumb,but it,"s up to tje driver if he want's to run aa containment seat,hans device,only he can decide not sanction body,they can and should recomend them ,but not require them think that would open them up to liabity for giving driver's false pretense that auto racing is safe since they required them to have such devices,like i said some people might think this is dumb, but it should still be up to the driver,next time,at a race track look at some of the cars ,with all their visora ,side panel"s and then throw in the containment seat's have of the driver's cant even see out of them ,so let's notjump into mandating more safety things lets mandate that racetracks have fully staff medical & fire crews on staff , never really hear driver's voice on these things,we choose when to race and when not to depending on track conditions,nobbody ever want's to be injured or killed but that is a chance we take everytime we strap into a car,like i said some might think my opinion is dumb but it is what it is prayers to the family of Dave

5 members like this post: bighd0522, hoscalecody, LRP36, nathans1012, oppweld
3/28/17, 8:00 AM   #29
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoscalecody View Post
I personally don't think they should mandate full containment seats or anything if a racer doesn't want to run one gets in a accident which ends up killing them that's their choice. I also think tracks should have ambulances I like Waynesfield and Limaland rules if ambulance has to leave no racing is going to happen until a ambulance get back to the track. I'm all for full containment seats but not everyone is.
Then we ought to let guys run without cages with that mentality. Come on this was a preventative fatality if he had all the proper equipment. Lets stop the let racers make the choice and make everyone have all the proper safety equipment on board. Guys will spend thousands on titanium bolts but not a piece of equipment that could save your life. Just my opinion.

Agree 100% on the ambulance front.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, midget39, Racer_dude35
3/28/17, 8:04 AM   #30

As a promoter I can tell you every single area is different. I have paid as little as $100 to have an ambulance at a facility, but I have also paid as much as $1000. One other thing that has changed over the last 5 years is the transport rules. At just about every single venue we work with, if the Hospital is more than 5min. away, they will call for a 2nd unit to transport. Also in several areas, fire departments are the main ambulance service. Now you have EMT's and not Paramedics working your events. This is also a big factor in price. I have read several comments here from people who have no clue what they are talking about. An ambulance on site means nothing if it is not able to transport. So many more things I can add to this, but many would not believe me.

2 members like this post: captrat, Chase Hightower
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Desoto Speedway safety