Re: RIP Dave Steele
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

RIP Dave.

3 members like this post: IndyBound, Jerry Spencer, tirespinner
3/26/17, 7:39 AM   #12
BrentTFunk

RIP. Probably the best all around pavement driver I ever saw.

3/26/17, 11:08 AM   #13
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Not what I was expecting to see this morning. Prayers to his family, he was a phenomenal driver.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 3/27/17 at 6:11 PM.

3 members like this post: IndyBound, kruser, tirespinner
3/26/17, 11:23 AM   #14
ISF

Another sad Sunday morning for short track open wheel fans.

Just watched Dave run 2nd at The Little 500 last May in a spectacular race.

I never met Dave but as an avid fan of what he did his untimely passing once again leaves another small hole in my heart that will never be filled. Once is too many but as the years go by those small holes get more numerous and myself, along with every participant and fan, hopes it never happens again. But we know it probably will.

3/26/17, 3:38 PM   #15
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

I may not always watch NASCAR or care for some of the tracks and the racing; but they just mentioned the passing of Dave Steel on their pre-race show after the national anthem and sent their prayers to the family. Very cool to see the racing family stick together in difficult times for other families.

3/26/17, 8:29 PM   #16
IndyBound

Sad loss!!! My thoughts are prayers are with Dave's family, friends and fellow members of the racing community. Thank you for the opportunity to watch you perform your magic behind the wheel of a race car, especially USAC Sliver Crown cars. RIP Dave!!!

2 members like this post: tirespinner, Wizard 05
3/27/17, 8:11 AM   #17
Wizard 05

Race Count This Year: 28

RIP Dave...Will sure miss everything you have always done for the sport and your wonderful friendship.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/27/17, 5:01 PM   #18
John P Huss

Very sad to hear of Dave
Steele's passing. Tough
time for the open wheel
family. My thoughts & prayers
with family. Would have been
great to see him with more
seat time in a Indy Car.

Best Regards,

John

2 members like this post: jdull99, tirespinner
3/27/17, 5:22 PM   #19
Bostonian

This was posted by Bobby on his facebook page, Bobby Santos III Racing. I hope it's ok that I post it here. https://www.facebook.com/bobbysantos...WSFEED&fref=nf

"When I was 18 my Dad took me to the Midwest to race against the best open wheel drivers in the country. Without any question The Man of Steele was the very best of the best. So I went to the track to beat Dave. Well, it didn't quite work out as I planned, Dave was the best for a reason and he proved it race after race why he was. He didn't go to the track to make friends he was just "trying to make a buck" as he said to me many times. His work ethic on his cars I admired and have tried my hardest to mirror. His ability to win a race was unmatched. I learned that lesson the hard way in Nashville Tennessee. He wanted that one just a little more then I did. If Dave was on the front row, it was over before it started.
I am so thankful of the races I got to run against Dave. I learned so much from just watching him in the pits and on the track.
Towards the end of Dave’s USAC days I finally felt I earned his respect, between the different nicknames he gave me and him considering me a threat to prevent him from making a buck once in a while.
2006 I was on top of my game beating Dave out and getting my share of wins. He was in the press booth at Stafford Speedway as a guest one night with Bones Bourcier. If I remember the story correctly as Bones told me, Dave picked me to win and Bones took Chris Perley on a small $ bet. Chris went on to win and I ran 3rd. But I'll never forgot what Bones told me about what Dave said after the race. "Santos has cost me more money this year." That was the ultimate compliment to me from the guy I believed was the best. It meant the world.
Recently, I feel like I've gotten 2 know Dave a little more from getting to park beside him at the Little 500 the last couple years or by talking to him on the phone or texts to buy parts from his speed shop. He really is a great person beyond the racecar.
Sitting here 13 years later with the impossible goal of being as good as Dave is still just a dream to chase, and the news of Dave passing is total shock that doesn't seem real. Superman is not supposed to die. We lost the greatest open wheel racer of this generation. I'm heartbroken for his family he leaves behind."

3/28/17, 12:31 PM   #20
scottyCbus

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 18

RIP Dave you may be gone but you will never be forgotten. Prayers go out to his family and friends!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Dave Steele