IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racetrack photography
6/11/18, 2:15 PM   #1
Racetrack photography
hoosierboy3

Just wondering how to go about getting into the infield to do some photography. Probably gas city/Kokomo. My girlfriend does wedding, senior picture, etc. Has a pretty nice outfit for a camera and new lenses. She wanted to see what she could do with some sprint car action. Wasn’t sure how it works, especially being an amateur to the scene. Thanks for your info in advance

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
6/11/18, 2:51 PM   #2
Re: Racetrack photography
kdobson

I know nothing about the policies of the tracks you mention, but I'll offer you some advice from a promoter in Illinois on how I would go about it if I were you.

The access a track offers you as a photographer is kind of a trade-off for publicity. There's nothing in it for the track to let you in free or otherwise to take pictures as a hobby that nobody is going to see. If carrying a camera was an automatic free ticket into a race track or ticket into the infield we would have as many cameras in the house as fans. I guess we actually do now that every phone is a pretty good camera.

But good photographers who can capture the essence of an event are a good thing for tracks as long as it's used in a way that doesn't degrade the track or event.

My advice would be to go ahead and buy a pit pass the first time or two and simply ask for access to the infield. Get to know and build a relationship with the other photographers around you. Take your photos and practice your craft. Make them available for the track to use for promotional purposes, share them with the world and help draw favorable publicity to the track.

At that point the track promoter is going to view you as "on the bus" and what you are doing as an asset. I would suspect that most tracks are going to be fine offering you a credential as a photographer if you have checked the boxes above.

Oh... and don't go roaming the pits trying to sell your photos. Many tracks have exclusive relationships with certain photographers for that. Taking a picture is different than selling a picture on the premises.
Last edited by kdobson; 6/11/18 at 4:16 PM.

6/11/18, 3:59 PM   #3
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

kdobson, I wish you where a promotor back here in the east where I live and shoot. I've been doing everything you mentioned and the harassment and obstacles put in place by many of the tracks here have lead me to the point of just about walking away from racing photography. I'm not even asking for a free pass just the access to shoot. I've been doing this for ten years and, my stuffs been all over the internet promoting the sport. Well the fun has just about been completely removed from it for me.

6/11/18, 4:35 PM   #4
jim goerge

David Your pictures are second to none as everybody who has looked at the picture of the day on this site will tell you. I still get chills up and down my spine over the pics you took at LPS when we met, Dude if nothing else come back to Indiana and snap away cuz I think the promoters would love your pics

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, tirespinner, TQ29m
6/11/18, 5:05 PM   #5
Can26

Wow, even photographers hate photographers.... Guess I'm not alone. ;-)

6/11/18, 9:09 PM   #6
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can26 View Post
Wow, even photographers hate photographers.... Guess I'm not alone. ;-)
Are you the guy that acted like a total knucklehead at I-96 when I simply asked you to pose for a photo with your car? --- Jim Fisher

6/11/18, 9:29 PM   #7
hoosierboy3

Yeah I’m definitely not looking for a free pass. Would be willing to pay pit pass price. Just wanted to see what we could come up with. Thanks for the input

6/11/18, 9:34 PM   #8
Rpracing1

What I was told by some high level pro photographers on this site, was to just walk in to the track like you own it and no one will question you. It worked!

Actually anymore, I get my best pics from not being in the infield.
Last edited by Rpracing1; 6/11/18 at 9:38 PM.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, monkeyboy, tirespinner
6/11/18, 9:38 PM   #9
TQ29m

I guess if Jack Gladback was still around, he could show you how to get along well with the promoter and racers, I don't know if he had a deal, or what, but he was one of the few in the business that really was in demand, I always bought the pictures he took of me, because he took it, either him or his wife, I have a lot of them, and just knowing him, and his passion made them special. Bob

6/12/18, 3:13 AM   #10
fish

My advice would be to try Gas City first and do it at a regular weekly show. Purchase a pit pass. Purchase a yellow vest. There is usually a gathering of photographers sitting at the picnic table near the pit stand waiting to go out. Befriend one and ask them to walk you out, they'll be glad to help. If I can help further, let me know. --- Jim Fisher

Lots of Gas City photos in here, it may give her a few ideas:
https://fscpictorial.smugmug.com/
Last edited by fish; 6/12/18 at 3:46 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racetrack photography