IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Midwest TQ Racing Series Forming
9/17/08, 11:50 AM   #181
Re: New Midwest TQ Racing Series Forming
car65

how about a new engine?Would a stock 1000 cc yamaha snowmobile engine work?They are 4 stroke,very small,dry sump oil system,fuel or carberator could be used,stock electronic ignition.They are designed after the croth rocket engines.At 4000 rpm they are producing 100 hp,6000 110hp,9000rpm 140hp and 10,000rpm a whopping 150 hp,that is stock with a quiet muffler in the snowmobile.You wouldn't have to cut the trannsmission or add dry sump oil.I think it would be the greatest thing to happen to TQ's.It would only take about ten minutes to change one.That much power would be like driving a sprint car.With a turbo?another 100 or 200 hp?I saw what a stock 4 hp and 5 hp honda done to a dying Quarter Midget organization about 15 years ago.Ten to twenty cars at a weekly show to over one hundred at a weeky local race,they figured it out.I think the winter indoor series in Columbus ohio averages between 200 and 300 per race.Look at what they done to save their organization. Jeff

9/17/08, 12:32 PM   #182
STP

Race Count Last Year: 1

MTQRL.com

Thank you very much, Shawn Frazier Designs for the quickie logo.

9/17/08, 10:28 PM   #183
dr_destructo

Just curious, but how will you be able to take all the registrations and "screen" all the applicants before next weekend? That was, of course, your original plan wasnt it? Now anyone with a UMRA membership card is welcome? Seems a bit ironic. I guess when the time comes to pay the bills, basically any car/owner/driver with a pulse will do just fine.
Also, to reply to TQ65's post about larger engines to make the cars drive like sprint cars, If thats what you want then maybe you should be looking at a sprint car. There is a bit of an "art" to driving and setting up these cars. Every driver out there, even the 410 guys, will always tell you they need more power. I've seen guys come in the club with the big $$$ motors and, with one or two exceptions, have never won too many races. Its not about maximum power. At Columbus in mid-July when its dry, hard and slick a guy could prob run up front with 5 hp Briggs! When guys get beat they always say that the other guy has more expensive shocks or lighter wheels or fuel injection. Why doesnt anyone put any value in EXPERIENCE or a well maintained car. Is it not possible that you can simply get BEAT by a better driver or better setup? The people who are complaining now will complain about the club/leadership/competitors no matter the organization. There have been some good ideas presented here in the last few weeks(along with some terrible ones). As the founders of the new club, you are business people first, racing promoters second. What happens to the guys who commit to running with MWTQ when you realize that it is not feasible for you to spend your own money to put on shows. I'm sure there will be sponsors, but track rental/prep equipment along with a larger purse and paying a crew from Lawrenceburg to come run the show for you cant go on too long. After a few races when you decide its not as easy as it looks from the grandstands and pull the plug on the idea, these guys will still have racecars and will want to race. Why no try to make the current club better? Go to the fall meeting Run for office or a board position and maybe all the people who say they will support a new club will show support for you. By the way, last week at Greensburg was the best racing surface I have EVER seen at that track! Kudos to the track prep crew.

Chris D.

9/17/08, 10:36 PM   #184
tqracer65

I believe what car65 not tq65 was saying was a spec motor just a possible solution just running a stock engine not necessarily for the power but just a spec motor to attract more young guys hoping to move up wanting to see the driver side being more important. right now money can still buy the winning engine with all the big tracks they run. on the smaller tracks i will agree setup and ability is more important than having the big money engines and setup and driving is the best part gotta love the short tracks seperate the men from the boys. JMO

9/18/08, 12:25 AM   #185
STP

I agree with what you are saying. TQ racing got its start because someone wanted a less expensive alternative to midget racing.

I think it is a great place for younger drivers to build their driving muscles and really learn the mechanical side to racing. Because someone who can figure out the right set up will do better than someone who has the faster engine but can't work the line. The setups are what make dirt track racing more exciting. Dirt tracks aren't perfect. They offer a challenge. They are a great training ground for serious racers. There's a lot of trial and error. It does separate the men from the boys AND the women from the girls. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqracer65 View Post
I believe what car65 not tq65 was saying was a spec motor just a possible solution just running a stock engine not necessarily for the power but just a spec motor to attract more young guys hoping to move up wanting to see the driver side being more important. right now money can still buy the winning engine with all the big tracks they run. on the smaller tracks i will agree setup and ability is more important than having the big money engines and setup and driving is the best part gotta love the short tracks seperate the men from the boys. JMO

9/18/08, 12:42 AM   #186
STP

I'm not in this for the money. It's about the racing. MTQRL is not a club. It is a racing league. Drivers won't have to worry about running the show, they can just show up and drive.

The bonus payout is for racers with any TQ membership. There are racers coming in from Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio so far.

I'm in this for the long haul. It's going to be a building process. I understand that and embrace it. Great things don't happen overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_destructo View Post
Just curious, but how will you be able to take all the registrations and "screen" all the applicants before next weekend? That was, of course, your original plan wasnt it? Now anyone with a UMRA membership card is welcome? Seems a bit ironic. I guess when the time comes to pay the bills, basically any car/owner/driver with a pulse will do just fine.
Also, to reply to TQ65's post about larger engines to make the cars drive like sprint cars, If thats what you want then maybe you should be looking at a sprint car. There is a bit of an "art" to driving and setting up these cars. Every driver out there, even the 410 guys, will always tell you they need more power. I've seen guys come in the club with the big $$$ motors and, with one or two exceptions, have never won too many races. Its not about maximum power. At Columbus in mid-July when its dry, hard and slick a guy could prob run up front with 5 hp Briggs! When guys get beat they always say that the other guy has more expensive shocks or lighter wheels or fuel injection. Why doesnt anyone put any value in EXPERIENCE or a well maintained car. Is it not possible that you can simply get BEAT by a better driver or better setup? The people who are complaining now will complain about the club/leadership/competitors no matter the organization. There have been some good ideas presented here in the last few weeks(along with some terrible ones). As the founders of the new club, you are business people first, racing promoters second. What happens to the guys who commit to running with MWTQ when you realize that it is not feasible for you to spend your own money to put on shows. I'm sure there will be sponsors, but track rental/prep equipment along with a larger purse and paying a crew from Lawrenceburg to come run the show for you cant go on too long. After a few races when you decide its not as easy as it looks from the grandstands and pull the plug on the idea, these guys will still have racecars and will want to race. Why no try to make the current club better? Go to the fall meeting Run for office or a board position and maybe all the people who say they will support a new club will show support for you. By the way, last week at Greensburg was the best racing surface I have EVER seen at that track! Kudos to the track prep crew.

Chris D.

9/18/08, 6:08 PM   #187
TqMidget41&84

So Brewer when are you going to get another TQ ? I'm sure you could talk McClure into whipping you one up !
Posted via Mobile Device

9/18/08, 7:24 PM   #188
davex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar97 View Post
It somewhat amuses me to see the bashing and negativity about both clubs. The ones bashing are mostly people just trying to stir things up along with a few people from UMRA. The new club has not even started and people are already bashing it. At least give it a chance and see how things go. How can so many negative comments appear from talk about a new club that has not even started yet? You don't see any of the big dawgs like Goff, Willis, Speidell, Martz on here complaining and taking sides. They are probably looking to the positive side of things such as having more opportunities to race and seeing how things unfold when the new series is launched. I think some are jumping to conclusions before things even get started.
1. Although Terry Goff is still the smoothest driver out there, there has been alot of talk that he might retire after this year. If that's the case, you won't have to worry about him. Not sure what will happen with the other Goff cars??????
2. Speidell has not looked like himself lately, possibly his wreck has finally settled him down some. With a dirt sprintcar also, probably won't have to worry about him.
3. Martz has been really quick all year but now has a trashed TQ racecar. And he has a pavement sprintcar also. Probably won't have to worry about him.
4. Willis has been quick and having good runs. I look for him to be a strong contender next season.
Point is, even if top contenders look elsewhere, the series still thrives on the young up and coming drivers, which is what the club was started for. Many top sprintcar drivers have came from TQ's to move up the ladder, the talent comes and goes. With two series of TQ racing it will help these guys race more and learn quicker by getting more seat time if they choose. Granted that the schedules don't conflict with each other.

9/22/08, 11:43 PM   #189
STPHusband

Lets Go Racing!!!!

9/25/08, 7:00 PM   #190
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by davex View Post
I was referring to about half the field drops out due to mechanical problems. These are air cooled motorcycle engines, they aren't intended to run 50 lap TQ races how you guys run them. It is just hard on them. I think the car count would actually suffer if it is a long feature race.
I should just leave this dog in the road, but I can't. The fact that these are motorcycle engines, has nothing to do with the number that drop out of a race, Nor, has it anything to do with the fact they are TQ midgets, the number of laps, is not a factor. 99 out of a 100, the drop out is due to any number of things, unrelated to "engine failure". A broken wire, a partially plugged fuel filter, a fuel pump dies, a suspension bolt comes loose, I think it is called "racing". And, not only in TQ's, but every form of "competition", unexplained things happen. This season, at Osgood, on the white flag lap, we were running third, just as Kyle took the flag, it dropped 2 cylinders. got it home, ck'd it out, and an ignition module had gone dead, almost everyone runs the same system, Dyna, and it's not something you can prepare for, it's the first one I've had die, and I've been using them for 17 years. 50 lap races, not a problem, these engines get better care, than they did in the bike. I run an external oil cooler on mine, with a thermostat, so the oil temp stays around 190-220, which is ideal, the oil gets changed at least every 4 races, which in a bike, would amount to about 20 miles. I have watched,and participated in almost all forms of racing, and it's Murphy's Law, if it can happen, it will, and the dissapointment to the driver, doesn't matter what he's driving, be it a Go-kart, Midget, or a multimillion dollar IndyCar, it's still not what he had planned. Again, don't blame failure on the engine, most of the time it isn't at fault. Bob

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Midwest TQ Racing Series Forming