IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > NSSN Survey
3/23/09, 7:21 AM   #1
NSSN Survey
Dyno Don

NSSN had mini survey that asked race fans why they to not go to a race track.

26% said bad racing or bad shows.

20% said programs that ran too late.

My question is, if a promoter can increase attendance by 20% by just finishing at a decent hour, why not do it?

It seems there would be no added cost and they may be a savings in overhead.

3/23/09, 8:13 AM   #2
Re: NSSN Survey
cecil98

Don, I know I've discussed this issue many times on this board. In my opinion, to be fan friendly, two classes are ideal with one being either sprint cars or late models. Three is the limit. We've taken friends/relatives to the track in the past who were casual fans at best or, had never been to a race, back when Lawrenceburg was running four or five classes. By the end of the night, they were bored to death and most never came back. I vowed to never invite friends or relatives to come to a race with us again unless the program has 3, or less, classes. H$ll, I am life-long race fan and I get bored watching all of those classes!
Last edited by cecil98; 3/23/09 at 9:50 AM.

3/23/09, 8:19 AM   #3
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
Don, I know I've discussed this issue many times on this board. In my opinion, to be fan friendly, two classes is ideal with one being either sprint cars or late models. Three is the limit. We've taken friends/relatives to the track in the past who were casual fans at best or, had never been to a race, back when Lawrenceburg was running four or five classes. By the end of the night, they were bored to death and most never came back. I vowed to never invite friends or relatives to come to a race with us again unless the program has 3, or less, classes. H$ll, I am life-long race fan and I get bored watching all of those classes!
Just about every professional sporting event is about 2 - 3 hours in duration. When you have 5 classes running at the local short track and you get there at 4 PM and leave at 1 AM - IT IS TOO DARN MUCH. PLEASE! Before you lose any more fans! How do you bring your kids and grandchildren to a race when it's so late when it's over?

3/23/09, 11:56 AM   #4
AlkyMadness

These two survey choices accounted for 46%. I don't get NSSN anymore, so what was the other 54%?

I would think the ever-increasing cost of admission would be keeping some people away.

As far as too many classes, I don't care as long as they run the main event early. After that, the support classes can run until the sun comes up if they want to. I'll stay until I get my fill and then leave. But don't hold me captive until 1am to watch the main event.

3/23/09, 10:31 PM   #5
Motormasher

NSSN? Oh that must be the Nascar Sucks Sobad News paper. I quit getting that years ago when you had to dig 8 pages to get to the open wheel races.:thumbsdown:

But to get to the subject I think prices have gotten to high at the gate for families to attend so its usually the guys night out at the track.

I don't mind the long hours so bad when the racing is good like at Bloomington or Paragon. To me its the people you meet in the pits and hang around with that make racing so special. I really like being in the compition the most but I still enjoy going even if I just have to watch. Naw, I really don't like watching but I do it so I can see everyone in the pits.

Racing is a great sport that the fans can usually get very involved in, but the way everybody leaves as soon as the feature is over and leaves the fans hangin kind of takes fun out of it for them.

3/24/09, 7:34 AM   #6
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkyMadness View Post
These two survey choices accounted for 46%. I don't get NSSN anymore, so what was the other 54%?

I would think the ever-increasing cost of admission would be keeping some people away.

As far as too many classes, I don't care as long as they run the main event early. After that, the support classes can run until the sun comes up if they want to. I'll stay until I get my fill and then leave. But don't hold me captive until 1am to watch the main event.
26% Bad Racing/Bad Show
20.4% The show ends too late
16.3% Crowd misbehavior (Probably caused by show too long)
10.2% Too expensive
26.6% Other reasons.

You guys should start getting NSSN again. They have gotten away from so much NASCRAP and more in open wheel.
This week cover had Manzy closing,WoO and ALMS, no NASCRAP.

Hope this is the info you wanted.

3/24/09, 12:35 PM   #7
smallblock

when the sun is still out at 9:30 is is hard to keep the track in good condition. 3 classes all i can stand in one night.

3/24/09, 1:16 PM   #8
AlkyMadness

Wow, crowd behavior gets the next highest amount of votes? Wonder where these people live or what tracks they are talking about?

In 40+ years of going to races, I've rarely been to a track where I didn't feel comfortable. About the only place that I don't go to anymore for that reason is the dragstrips because they have become overrun with too much gang activity. Don't want to get caught in the crossfire between rival gangs.

I'd love to subscribe to NSSN and several others, but, moneys an issue and I always got tired of seeing the mags at the track and then two weeks later a torn and tattered copy shows up in my mailbox. But it's more about the money. I can buy mags, or I can take that money and go to some races. Can't do both anymore.

I was out of work almost all last year (job sent to Mexico) and now I'm only making 60% of what I did before. I've got a lot of catching up to do financially, but I think I've got a lot of company. Life's a ***** today, but it will get better (eventually).

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > NSSN Survey