IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Completely off topic advice
12/28/22, 10:27 PM   #1
Completely off topic advice
flagboy55

Since we’re all here on IOW, we at least have a common good taste in one thing, that’s our preferred choice of racing. I would not be the least offended if the moderator kicks this thread off for violating whatever, but in some cases I value a lot of your opinions. This question that I would like advice on. I think this is valid as I’ve seen many of you grilling at various race tracks. My question is, Pellet Smoker or Flat Top. Not necessarily for taking it to the track, but overall, what’s your choice? Thanks

3 members like this post: duel, nathans1012, Pancho Stapp
12/28/22, 10:33 PM   #2
Re: Completely off topic advice
rmr6nm

Z-Grill

12/28/22, 10:37 PM   #3
Hustlin-Hoosier

Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Since we’re all here on IOW, we at least have a common good taste in one thing, that’s our preferred choice of racing. I would not be the least offended if the moderator kicks this thread off for violating whatever, but in some cases I value a lot of your opinions. This question that I would like advice on. I think this is valid as I’ve seen many of you grilling at various race tracks. My question is, Pellet Smoker or Flat Top. Not necessarily for taking it to the track, but overall, what’s your choice? Thanks
These are two completely different forms of cooking. May need to set some parameters as to what you're wanting to cook.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, luckybuc97
12/28/22, 11:22 PM   #4
Kart#51

I have both. Depends on what the situation is and what you are trying to accomplish.
Pellet grills are keep it simple and are convenient to use. I have a Big green egg and you need to be on your game and watch your temps but it’s rewarding and tastes great.

At the racetrack I use a 15 year old aluminum grill and can make anything taste as good as at home. It’s all in know what to do and how to do it.

Just like race cars. Knowing which nut to twist and when to twist it and how much.

12/28/22, 11:31 PM   #5
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Coleman table top grill is what we’ve use for quite awhile. When Rpracing1 ‘s stared leaving rust grill marks I bought my own Grilled everything from Spam to Filet Mignon on it. Cheap, easy to use and clean. Downsides are the size. If you need to grill for more then 5 you’ll want something bigger.

12/29/22, 2:47 AM   #6
Stevensville Mike

I'm a charcoal man myself. Kingsford. Both at the track and at home in the backyard.

In years' past, however, I rigged a grill under the hood and on top of the exhaust manifold of my 4 banger Ford Ranger. Had an aluminum lid over the top of the grill to keep the heat in. Nothing like getting to the track, parking, popping the hood and having some nicely cooked Eckrich kielbasi to delve into.

Man, I miss that truck.

12/29/22, 12:15 PM   #7
Pancho Stapp

Charcoal, Charcoal, Charcoal, i am a Weber guy myself. I own a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 smoker and a Weber 22” kettle. When it came to a smoker i wanted to learn how to do it instead of a set it and forget it method. Real wood and charcoal not propane or electric. To each there own but that’s how i fly.

12/29/22, 1:24 PM   #8
Dale

BGE for smoking. You have to keep an eye on it to keep the temp below 250. Weber kettles for burgers and steaks.

12/29/22, 4:23 PM   #9
Pancho Stapp

I done a whole beef tenderloin that was a 6 pounder xmas eve for the family. -9 out and my WSM hung tough at 250 and it was done in an hour and a half. Pulled it at an internal of 130 and it was magnificent. I have done numerous brisket, chuck roast, pork butts, baby backs, tri-tip, pork chops, whole turkey and ham and i have never been let down. Brother in-law has a BGE and my neighbor does to. For $1,000 i’m not really impressed compared to my $400 WSM.

12/29/22, 4:25 PM   #10
Pancho Stapp

Doing drip chili as we speak. It rocks!!🍺

1 member likes this post: Ilovedirttrackracing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Completely off topic advice