IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Illinois Miles
10/15/20, 9:30 PM   #1
The Illinois Miles
flagboy55

In all my years of going to races I’ve never made it to either DuQuoin or Springfield. I’m dangerously close to making the maiden voyage to the later. I however would like to get opinions of the veteran attendees of both. If you could only attend one which would it be and why? I’m sure there has been legendary events at both, but for my memory the Kenny Irwin performance at Springfield sticks out more than anything from both tracks. Thanks for your input

10/15/20, 9:50 PM   #2
Re: The Illinois Miles
ISF

Well, as a mere spectator I've seen some exemplary racing at both Springfield & Du Quoin, especially over the past 6 or 7 years. Du Quoin is a night race and that seems to aid in the development of a cushion right up by the outside wall on more than one occasion. THAT is some spectacular stuff, to be sure.

We've seen some rim riding at Springfield, as well, Korey Weyant put on a show for the ages at Springfield in the LCQ only to grenade an engine immediately after taking the lead from a 6th row starting position with just a few laps to go.

Both venue's have their favorable nuances but I just slightly lean towards Springfield. I defer to Mr. Jack Hewitt as to the reason for our slight favorability towards Springfield. Jack told me that Springfield is the raciest of all the miles he's ever graced with his participation so that's good enough for me. The 2017 & 2018 Bettenhausen Memorial 100's were the best racing we've ever seen at Springfield and I've been attending races there since the first time my Dad took me to The Mile. I was 12 years old. 46 years in a row to be exact.

In regards to a the venue's themselves one is not any better or worse than the other.

10/15/20, 10:52 PM   #3
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Nothing beats DuQuoin under the lights. Hands down my favorite silver crown race every year. That being said, we will make the 4 hour trip to Springfield on Sunday. We want to support the SC cars anytime we can - even if it’s supposed to be pretty dang cold. We haven’t been able to see any SC races live this year so we will look to tie a bow on the season Sunday afternoon.

10/16/20, 2:43 AM   #4
jim goerge

Jen Think it will be to cold for ice cream? I can"t believe I said such a thing to you buddy!
Last edited by jim goerge; 10/16/20 at 2:45 AM.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, racenut69
10/16/20, 7:12 AM   #5
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
Jen Think it will be to cold for ice cream? I can"t believe I said such a thing to you buddy!
Never too cold for ice cream. ☺️

10/16/20, 7:14 AM   #6
miledirt

It's a coin flip for me. Both have their nuances. But bottom line is that each year we get to see the champ cars on a dirt mile it is the epitome of Americana racing and history. It's a race of tire and fuel conservation and yes the dirt, tackiness, cushion or lack there of all go into how the race comes together.

And this year at Springfield is special. Everyone is sick of the pandemic and all the trouble it's brought to our friends and neighbors. But Sunday afternoon we are going to get to see some of the best of the best in USAC along with two of the greatest open wheel dirt talents of a generation in Gravel and Larson. Should be a good one.

10/16/20, 8:37 AM   #7
ThrowbackRacingTeam

They’re both great! Just make sure you’re there for the first set of hot laps. Nothing beats Springfield when it’s tacky.

10/16/20, 11:24 AM   #8
sprinter31

Been to both many times but growing up less than an hour from Springfield its my favorite. Been goin there since I was 4 and now I am 60 and have missed very few in my years. In all my years the show that Korey put on was one of the best. Talked to Korey the other night and he doesn't have an engine. I wish someone would put him in a car on Sunday. He is a wheel man. Wing, Non Wing he is a champion in both with a 2002 eagle. The guy is good on a budget. Mowa Champ and Powri Champ. Cant wait till Sunday!

2 members like this post: ISF, oppweld
10/17/20, 1:56 PM   #9
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I have been to every DuQuoin Ted Horn Memorial since 1965 and to Springfield about a half dozen or so times, the last being in 2015.
I give the nod to DuQuoin because it is much closer and easier to get to. The atmosphere at DuQuoin is more country or small town while Springfield seems more big city.
Springfield may be a little faster and more racy, but DuQuoin has really upped the ante in recent years.
You pays your money and you takes your choice, as they use to say! 😁

2 members like this post: algiordino4, sprinter31
10/17/20, 9:23 PM   #10
SoIllSprinter

We are lucky to have two such miles in our state. That being said, I’ll take Du Quoin. Missed one there since 1974, because the college I went to did not take Labor Day as a holiday. Now I live about a mile and a half directly north of turns three and four and see the old girl everyday on my walks at the fairgrounds. Since night racing became the norm, it is my favorite race of the year, Silver Crown or otherwise. Just a spectacular show with the Musco lighting the track lights up better than some short tracks.

2 members like this post: algiordino4, ronmil
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Illinois Miles