IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
david mitchell (Offline)
  #11 7/9/16 9:44 AM
Sometimes an event outgrows a facility. It might be that Indiana Sprintweek has become too big for the facility at Gas City.Concessions, Rest Rooms, and grandstands, are all issues.You have to have the infrastrcture to host a major event.All the other facilities on the schedule can handle major crowds.How about running twice somewhere or finding a new venue. I am sure everyone has some ideas.
2 Likes: MOORESVILLETRUCKER, wildman92
PIT CART (Offline)
  #12 7/9/16 9:59 AM
The problem with people putting blankets down is that some don't get used until feature time. As far as the long beer and food line, well that's a good problem to have.
2 Likes: fish, spicoli
david mitchell (Offline)
  #13 7/9/16 10:11 AM
How is this for an idea. Monday night off. Then Terre Haute for two nights. Tuesday and Wednesday. The fairboard and Mr. Sargeant would have to be agreeable to this .There is a risk reward to this . A Sprintweek crowd means major income,but you have to factor in the weather and what could happen. A half mile, Terre Haute, a fan friendly facility which allows you to bring in coolers, concessions, and alcohol if you wish. Can we do it this week.
4 Likes: 2fast4u, flagboy55, oppweld, tirespinner
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #14 7/9/16 10:11 AM
I had no problem. I wish all tracks would do away with blankets. Earl Baltes told me once letting people put down blankets was the worst thing they ever did at Eldora. A guy comes from the tail for the win, and all you can post is crying about blankets. I wonder what's wrong with the sport
42 Likes: 64chevy, badcoupe, Blackduce, Bobv, bullringko, Crankin, cwfan08, Dblchkrs, DHayes818, dirt330, dirtracer74, FALCONEDDIE, fish, GYATK94, hoscalecody, interpreter66, jerrydt, Jim Gardner, jim goerge, Jonr, kcarm92, Kellen Conover, Kpederson91, meteorman, midnightrider, nedra_bahler_835@com, NEMA88, opnwhlmnd, PIT CART, PJ Wright, Points, reeserx, ronmil, Sandy Lowe, short track scott, Speedsme61x, spicoli, Stephen Cording, tirespinner, Tom23, TQ97, Vukie
wildman92 (Offline)
  #15 7/9/16 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
I had no problem. I wish all tracks would do away with blankets. Earl Baltes told me once letting people put down blankets was the worst thing they ever did at Eldora. A guy comes from the tail for the win, and all you can post is crying about blankets. I wonder what's wrong with the sport
I have no problem either way. But you can't change your mind midstream and not expect people to be pissed off.

Jen Kelley (she/her)
11 Likes: bigq11, BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, mowerman, Nate, Obie, PAW, rclaridge, The Old Coyote
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #16 7/9/16 10:21 AM
Had a good time. Waited in line like most others and marked our seats And saw a killer show.cant wait for tonight!
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, HARFprez, jim goerge, PIT CART, rachasin, wildman92
david mitchell (Offline)
  #17 7/9/16 10:30 AM
Brent, you miss the point . It is about making the sport better. Look at the demographics at any Sprint Car race. The crowd is an older crowd. You have to adapt in the business or entertainment industry. Auto racing is both.There were a group of people last night who were attending their first race. I talked to them this morning. They enjoyed the race, but as far as concessions, rest rooms, etc. they could not believe it.I hope they return to Gas City or any other track for that matter.I fear they won't.I don't have the answers, but I see the facts. Just by the posts this morning I feel a lot of people did not enjoy their experience last night. In the business world when you get compliments it is a bonus. When you hear negative reviews when presented in a polite manner, you need to take a close look at your policies.
4 Likes: hoosier race fan, Hotrod, MOORESVILLETRUCKER, sprinter14
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #18 7/9/16 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by david mitchell:
Brent, you miss the point . It is about making the sport better. Look at the demographics at any Sprint Car race. The crowd is an older crowd. You have to adapt in the business or entertainment industry. Auto racing is both.There were a group of people last night who were attending their first race. I talked to them this morning. They enjoyed the race, but as far as concessions, rest rooms, etc. they could not believe it.I hope they return to Gas City or any other track for that matter.I fear they won't.I don't have the answers, but I see the facts. Just by the posts this morning I feel a lot of people did not enjoy their experience last night. In the business world when you get compliments it is a bonus. When you hear negative reviews when presented in a polite manner, you need to take a close look at your policies.
Nailed it. Promoters are quick to blame social media, but this is the true reason race tracks fail. Just look at how Gas City got into the situation it is in now. It went from one of the best weekly tracks in the Midwest to a track that is practically closed and up for sale. Social media didn't do that, poor management did. They catered to a specific group of teams and fans, which pissed enough people off that they stopped going. I see no problem with changing the policy of taping down seats, but in any business you need to be cautious about the manner in which you communicate those changes to your customers. Many of the ball washers here will see no problem with it, but obviously the way it was handled could have been better.
3 Likes: cleatziff, Hotrod, MOORESVILLETRUCKER
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #19 7/9/16 10:47 AM
I didn't know you were allowed to complain on IOW............
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, cwfan08
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #20 7/9/16 10:49 AM
This thread is a good case study on complaining and how it relates to credibility. Sure, there are some people who come here to complain and that's all they do. Anybody who is here often and is a contributor to our forum knows who those people are and put very little stock in anything they have to say. You also have people who anytime they see anybody complain about anything, use it as an opportunity to take a cheap shot at IOW. If you don't like IOW find a better forum or use the "report post" feature to help the team of people that have look at every thread and every post, to know exactly what has been posted, including policing SPAM which is a big job in and of it's self. The moderators don't delete every post that's reported, but it sure makes it a lot easier to find the ones that might need to be. Like Bill said a hundred times "IOW is all about you, people. If you want to make it better, you can." Now, when you have a matter come up and you see people like Wildman92 (Jen), Street Glider or Old Coyote having an issue, then it might be something the track might want to look into and see if they could handle it a little bit differently the next time. These are all contributors to IOW. The opposite of complainers. Think about it, is there anybody right now that does any more for the site than Jen Morgan. Probably not.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
14 Likes: 2fast4u, Charles Nungester, davidm, dirt330, FishBurger, jim goerge, K9Racer, MOORESVILLETRUCKER, Nate, Obie, racefan20, rclaridge, sprinter14, wildman92