IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC HPD K24 Honda midget "thingy"
4/11/14, 11:23 AM   #11
Re: USAC HPD K24 Honda midget "thingy"
sprintcar39

One thing to remember is that if this engine performs like the focus did it will run for year after year with no rebuild costs during that time. Some of the previous focus engines have run for over 6 years with no additional costs.

Here are a couple of pics of the Intake and Oil Pan to show the detail and fought that went into these pieces. I will continue to add pics of each component and the complete engine package.
Attached Images
2014-04-10 17.44.46.jpg (467.0 KB, 113 views)
2014-04-10 17.45.43.jpg (475.2 KB, 105 views)

1 member likes this post: DAD
4/11/14, 12:38 PM   #12
MC@Performance Fab

Just happen to know someone who does some pretty nice intake work that works way too cheap.

4/11/14, 12:39 PM   #13
DAD

sprintcar

You surprised me a bit. I like the little Honda motor. The name says it all, you are starting with a quality piece of equipment. I don't like spec racing, but that is me. Maybe USAC will see the value in what you are doing and perhaps lax the rules to allow this type of motor to race National Midgets.
It will make the old 2 valve motors obsolete the first year, but what the heck, the money the racer saves the first year and each subsequent year of racing will more than make up for so many boat anchors being created in one year.

There are already a bunch of 400+ horsepower Honda's right now out there being driven on the public roads every day. Now we need to start racing them.

You do good work my friend.

Honest Dad himself

4/11/14, 4:19 PM   #14
KMS2683

I just want to add that even though I think it is a little pricey, I think the platform/concept is good. I have been a strong proponent of the focus program because I think it is necessary for midget racing to grow, same as the other sportsman series out there.

I acknowledge the fact that there is cost savings in the longevity of the engine with no rebuilds needed for multiple seasons.

Having said that, I have been one that doesnt feel engines are the primary issue. To me the lack of midget racing as a weekly class is a much bigger issue. Montplier (sorry for spelling) type programs are needed. Even with a $10,000, 400 hp motor that would last four seasons before rebuild still would be hard to get new teams because of the amount of travel needed due to the limited racing options. Giving more local racing options for midgets would have a far greater impact then cheap engines.

4 members like this post: DAD, jjones752, PatrickMead#13, Ray3
4/11/14, 4:56 PM   #15
Revolution Racing

Dry sump put them over the top among other things. Its why I chose the ECOtec over the Honda - the Chevy runs the pump off the front of the engine so you have the ability to just make a pan for it and run the stock pump (for a focus-level motor). This saves a ton of money, and was a big reason why the Focus was so cheap. And no, at this level you don't gain ANYTHING by dry sumping. Especially when you look at how these engines are lubricated, the crank is already out of the oil. All of this was explained to them, but they get real hard of hearing when a big check gets written. FYI guys are building 'focus - level' ECOtecs for only a few thousand bucks all the time, right now. They run for years, make nice power and require zero upkeep. But 'no check - no play'

4/11/14, 5:03 PM   #16
Revolution Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar39 View Post
One thing to remember is that if this engine performs like the focus did it will run for year after year with no rebuild costs during that time. Some of the previous focus engines have run for over 6 years with no additional costs.

Here are a couple of pics of the Intake and Oil Pan to show the detail and fought that went into these pieces. I will continue to add pics of each component and the complete engine package.
The pan is cute. Should cast it though (no leaks / cracks). That manifold is CRAP - didn't anybody explain how to do a proper intake manifold for EFI to these guys? They will be 'upgrading' the intake system ($$$$) if they want to make power. Sorry to throw cold water but OMG......

4/11/14, 6:07 PM   #17
DAD

Revolution

The Honda's are still anemic and way under powered, for the amount of horsepower that could be produced by them or the echo tec for that matter. To produce 400+ horsepower the throttle body would have to be enormous. This same engine with a good individual runner injection I would guess could get the horsepower up to around 300+ with very little additional development. We would then be getting very close to the horsepower of the National Midgets.

The Honda is a very nice motor, we would all have to agree. It is a bit pricey, they would be very hard to find in a salvage yard and would still be expensive. The echo tec on the other hand are a dime a dozen. They have been designed quite well and the head seems to have a lot of room left for improvement.

Like I said in another post. Any body that thinks a spec class is the best way to keep costs of racing down probably worked in the Federal Government in a past life time. Midgets were pretty affordable in the 60's and 70's. Then for some reason Legal, greed, or whatever the racing clubs began to make larger and larger rule books with more and more well meaning rules. Every time they made a new rule the racer is the one who paid for it out of their wallet to keep racing. The company's that supported racing did not protest much because every rule meant more money in their coffers. So now we are left with a dying National Midget Division, a few off shoots that have somewhat similar rules, but all much to comprehensive to keep guys like me from moving up.

Now the 1000cc Midget Division (Mini Sprints) is faced with the same problem. Well meaning people in the spirit of making the sport they love better are starting to make rules that will no doubt cause the cost of racing to go up and in fact hurt the thing they are trying so hard to help. When rules become so prohibitive that they prevent experimentation with different power plants and basic improvements for the power plants that are currently now in use. This means that experimentation is curtailed and experimentation is what racing is all about to me and many other people. If a particular engine has well documented oiling problems and some of our's do. A dry sump system might just save a few motors and cash for the racer in the long run. If I choose to experiment to make something better and I do make it better then I'm a hero. If it doesn't work out then I am a Zero>>>SO.

Dual overhead cams and 4 valve heads have been on the market for well over 20 years now. Why do all of the large midget racing organizations make their rules so stringent that they prevent these motors from racing under equal terms with purpose built antique 2 valve designs.

Both Revolution and Sprintcar are on to something. Not to allow them to develop their product to it's fullest potential is asinine.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC HPD K24 Honda midget "thingy"